False mpg claims
By smithy6 on
2011 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
I have had this car for 6 months. The mpg/epa fuel economy stated on the original sticker is way too high. I am lucky to get 17 mpg city driving; not on hwys. much at this time. Two local dealer's service reps. said they have heard similar, it is a national issue. The national call center is checking with them, but said not all of their cars will achieve even the minimum 21 mpg. One dealer reset the computer and tire pressure, still no difference. Both dealers said I have to drive it 5,000 mi. to see any better performance. That wasn't on the contract and I won't drive that much for the next 6 months. Plus the tank only holds max. 12 gallons.
Suggested Improvements
Improved MPG/EPA as was stated on Toyota sticker, and bigger gas tank capacity.
By mcdawgg
on 02/23/12 09:21 AM (PST)

The EPA tests the car, not Toyota. The fuel tank is 13.2 gallons, not 12. We have never seen that low mpg - always at or above the EPA ratings with our type of driving.

By car_fan3
on 01/24/12 22:05 PM (PST)

I don't know where you live, but living in Florida I too had an average of 23 mpg city driving probably until my 1st oil change at 10k miles. after the oil change where i requested mobile1 only 0w20 without running a/c all the time i average 28-30 mpg city. I also replaced original air filter with k&n (well worth the $40.00 investment) toyota filter gets dirty too quickly and engine feels sluggish and not very fuel efficient (p.s. I was my filter every oil change which i do at 7500 miles. I currently have 28k miles and average 360-400 on about 11 gallons of fuel 50/50 driving. Also keep you tires inflated to 34lb (35 is max) helps mpg a lot. A/C has a SIGNIFICANT impact on fuel economy. Hope this helps.

By mcdawgg
on 02/23/12 09:22 AM (PST)

Oh, and very short trips KILL mpg on any car. If you are only putting on less than 5,000 in the next 6 months, there's another reason your mpg is low.

By milans
on 10/28/12 07:47 AM (PDT)

The only way you get 17MPG with this car is if your feet are on the accelerator and brake at the same time. With mixed driving and AC use I get 28MPG.