Steering Issues and the FIX
By heiliner on
2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
My 2009 Corolla LE has about 23000 miles on it and steers great and handles great. That wasn't always the case. The car used to steer like the front was toed in. The problem issues were that the car was out of alignment in the rear and the Goodyear Eagle tires. The rear axle of an LE is a "stamped axle" and has no alignment adjustment. I had to have an alignment shop modify the rear axle bolt position to bring the car into a correct factory assignment. Once that was done the car steers as you would expect and it gained about 2 miles per gallon in fuel economy. I also replaced the Goodyear Eagle tires which are not safe on wet pavement with Yokohama Avid Tour S tires. Now a very nice car!
Favorite Features
The fuel economy is remarkable. I get between 33-39 mpg at 70 miles per hour. The inside cabin noise is very low, much quieter than a Civic. The purchase price is very reasonable. The car has great resale value and looks nice.
Suggested Improvements
Never purchase a Corolla LE without first having it placed on a Hunter alignment machine. If the car is out of alignment, make the dealer align the car to factory specifications. The "stamped rear axle" is a major flaw in the product. It is the cause of most steering issues.