My 2nd Corolla
By mred72 on
2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
I still own my very first Toyota which is a 2002 Corolla LE which has 180,000 as of writing this review. Knowing it's getting old and burning oil, I figured it was time to buy a back up. I came across a used XLE with only 28,000 miles on it. Since it has the 16" wheels, the highway ride is comparable to that of a Camry. You'd quickly be reminded you are not in a Camry once you need to pass another vehicle and that's when reality sets in. I would love to know how ANY of you get 35MPG or more as my car never got better than 32.5 and it is driven mostly highway. Toyota alleges 35, but I say no way as the average highway speed is 75MPH.
Favorite Features
Upholstered adjustable armrest, JBL sound system, satellite radio, wood trim, stability and traction control and bluetooth technology. I really like the bluetooth; everyone says I sound so clear and no one hears road noise. Brake assist is SUPER nice for those unexpected stops. Remember "stop on a dime" brakes from the 80's? They are back!
Suggested Improvements
This was a model that unfortunately never took off. It could have been loaded up to be a mini Camry XLE but the consumers just didn't bite. The car itself is dated. They have a long way to go since no real design changes have been made since 2009 to current day (minus the rear end changes in 11'). The car has NO power. Dump the 4 speed automatic and put in a 5 or 6 speed automatic. The 1.8L engine is dated and no longer sufficient for the size of the vehicle. The "electronic" steering, while a nice concept should be dumped. It takes a bit of getting used to. I swear, my 02' is faster and RPM's are around 2,000 at 75MPH while this 09' runs close to 3,000RPM.