Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

great car!
By phelicia

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my yota! Its a great car i get about 33 mpg which is wonderful for long family rides. Its a dependable vehicle that I know is going continue to go strong. The inside and out looks very nice, its got a sporty twist which I like a lot! Overall I love this car and would suggest it to anyone!

Favorite Features

The way the car handles, gas mileage, the overall look.

Suggested Improvements

The back of the car isn't very roomy, that would be nice to have a little more room and the trunk doesn't have too much space.

Oil Change is a pain
By J Brown

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Apparently two engine types. One with conventional oil filter...and mine. You have to remove a plastic housing that has a "cardboard-like" filter insert. An o-ring mus be changed and a new washer should be bought for the drain plug, at each oil change. A serious step back in engineering!!! Requires more time and mess. Filter inserts are more expensive than conventional filter. Glad I change my own oil. Would be afraid cheap oil service centers would not have proper filter and charge you for changing...without actually changing filter. Different topic: Paint extremely thin..hardly takes anything to scratch to metal. Gas mileage...lucky to get 30mpg with my automatic, disappointed!

Favorite Features

Overall looks.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to conventional oil filter!!! Better paint job! Gas mileage should be better.

My Last Toyota
By C.S.

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this for reliability, safety, and fuel economy and expected such from Toyota. Since then, there have been 2 recalls on the car. The latest is for 'unintended acceleration'! I see this as a serious safety issue and would strongly discourage anyone to purchase this car for that reason alone. I'll probably trade it asap. On the surface it seems like a decent car. The mpg is fantastic. The trunk and interior is spacious for its class and the mp3 player jack is nice. However, the cheap plastics have began to rattle. Both the seats and plastics show wear after only a year. It just doesn't seem to be made to last. Even though I knew it's not a sports car, it's boring to drive.

Favorite Features

MPG. Mp3 and sound system. Ride is quiet and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the interior materials and seats. Needs serious safety and reliability improvements. Steering is too light and finicky.

One Awesome & Economical Car 40mpg
By loved my corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my Corolla, I consistently averaged 35-40 mpg combined city / hwy miles. I recently was in an accident - car was totaled and I must say the safety features kept everyone safe and alive! I am going to be getting another one, hope I get the same mileage with my new one!!

Nice - but wouldn't buy another
By steve

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Rough ride, lots of road noise. Noisy engine. Hard seats. If you're 6ft or taller you'll be VERY cramped. Light color interior is bad, dark colored clothes such as blue jeans will rub off color onto seats - impossible to clean. Uses oil canisters instead of spin-on oil filters, location difficult to reach. Not as good as the older Corollas. Would look at something else. May actually trade this one.

Favorite Features

good looking exterior design, like the color - red. Good A/C.