2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Works For Me
By Dick on 09/07/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I rented at Portland OR and drove the twisty steep hills of the scenic coastal route south to CA and then to Medford OR. I told my wife over and over how nice it handled (owned 2 MG's and presently a 09 Malibu). I didn't thrash the engine but downshifted the automatic on steep hills and drove it briskly in the turns. I had lots of starts and stops and some city and averaged 32+ MPG. No steering wander and well controlled on bumps and swells. A nice car. Can't believe the bad reviews by Edmunds and other experts and public alike?

Toyota's baby Camry
By whcc90069 on 09/07/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the latest corolla generation back in October 2008. The new corolla is much, much roomier than before. There's plenty of power and yet this car still averaged about 27 mpg in the city and about 38 mpg on the freeway. Kinks usually need to be worked on with the first year of most new car designs. Our car certainly had a few problems... The radio's volume control would get stuck sometimes. The radio display works most of the time. The interior trunk release mechanism worked even less of the time. Fortunately, these three items are covered under warranty for the new owner. We sold this car not long ago in order to get the new prius for even better mileage.

You know what you're getting
By Peter on 09/03/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an outstanding car and the cost of ownership is super low. Yes, it's a "bit" banal compared to some cars but in its class, maybe only the Civic feels a little zippier. The drive in the wind and the clock are both irksome features but neither should stop you from actually getting this car.

Peeling Paint - UGH
By silver09 on 08/29/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2009 Corolla in January 09 and the paint is peeling (about the size of a half dollar) below door on passenger side. The piece that is peeling is plastic I believe since the color below the peeled spot is black, not metallic.

Great Car!
By aklemme on 08/28/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first new car that I bought. The outside design is nice, as well as the inside. Its a very reliable car and works great as a commuter. Gas mileage is great. Has lots of bass in the radio, could make it a hit or miss.

2009 Toyota Corolla S
By Daphne on 08/21/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my corolla! It's fun and easy to drive. The car handles well, gets 30 mpg routinely, has cold ac, and the JBL stereo is great. I think the interior dash design could be upgraded, but that's my only complaint. With the reliability of Toyota, I'm sure I will be driving this car for many years to come.

Fun little car
By MarkC on 08/18/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I drive 30,000 or so miles a year, and this car seems ready and eager to handle the task. I went for the impossible to find 'S' with a manual trans, glad I did. Get into 5th gear on the highway, and although the tach shows 3000+ RPM's, its returning 36, 37 m.p.h. Amazing. Good pep, even with the A/C on -- which works great. My family of four took it on a week's vacation, no problem. The trunk's huge for a car this size. I have had no issues with this car wandering on the highways, and its been on the highway a lot already. I traded in a 3/4 ton truck (didn't need it) for this, and of course I miss the stuff my truck could do, but this is so much more practical for my life.

Front end rattle
By Kurt on 07/30/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only about a month when it developed a loud rattle in the front end on both sides. Took it back to the dealer and after a "test drive", they found no problem to fix and didn't hear any noises from the front end. They replaced some plastic clips holding a cover under the car and sent me on my way. The noise is getting worse and nobody seems to care. Going to an independent mechanic soon to get his opinion.

Great Economy Car
By HLB on 07/25/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota Corolla. We have also had a 2001 and 2004 (still own). Overall, the interior could have been made with better quality materials, but for the price and level of reliability this is a great car. Right now, I drive a combination of city and highway and I am averaging 33 MPG (better than both the '01 and '04). So far, no complaints or issues. It has been pleasant to drive.

Reliability in Question
By Dom on 07/21/09 05:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife is now driving her 2nd Corolla ('06 LE) and both cars have proven very reliable. I switched over from my other brand and purchased a '09 for that specific reason. Right now I have my doubts. With only 5600 miles I have had 1) the radio unit replaced as the LCD panel display hung up with unreadable characters, and 2) the vehicle failed to start due to a faulty fuel pump. The car has met all my other expectations (great mileage) but any more issues like this will make me re-consider whether this model is the right one for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan in VA is:

$102 per month*