Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Not what I expected!!
By lakiki

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in Feb of 09. I decided to get a brand new corolla since I had another corolla 94 for many years. Great car!!! I guess they dont make them like that anymore!!Three months later the A/C compressor broke, then took it back because of brake issues, ended up with a rental car for 2 days while the parts arrived. The steering is not smooth at all, this car just drifts to the right and then to the left. Seems like it has a mind of its own. Not fun for long drives, even in the city.

Has a big trunk, back seats are roomy, nice interior, nice radio!!

The only thing is the STEERING, needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!!!

Love the car
By rstimm

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I seriously don't 'get' the professional car reviewers. Personally I wouldn't want to drive one of the so-called 'fun' cars in my everyday 140 mile commute. Obviously the Corolla is not intended for the MG crowd. In the 18 months I have had the car I have averaged 34-40 MPG, and that is not when I am babying it. That is driving full speed, hell-bent to get home at the end of the day. That alone has made the car worth it. Coming from a fully loaded 4Runner the steering was a bit weird at first, but easy to learn. Comfy ride, well built, great reliability, really great MPG. Hated having to go to dealer for scheduled maintenance first months. Parts now plenty, can go elsewhere.

Fuel economy, ride comfort, style, reliability, fit and finish, quiet machine

Fix for wind noise when rear windows are down, no biggie. Dedicated clock.

First Toyota
By pookaloopa

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My first non American car. I just traded it in on a Ford taking a huge financial hit to get rid of it. I bought a Corolla S for Toyota's reputation of quality and its rated fuel economy. The fuel economy was great I got 32-33 mpg combined with my type of driving. Quality, not so great. Front window gasket leaked as it was installed improperly. Rear seat belt didn't latch, rear window defogger switch overheated and stuck in the on position, windshield wipers quit working. The car had a funny way of steering no matter how hard I tried it always seemed to over correct (thats the best I can do to describe it). Not to mention the recall(for which I have not received an official notification.)

Mileage

Quality

OK except wierd brake placement
By Robert Weiner

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

traded in an old SUV and got clunker discount on a new Corolla. Main problem with the Corolla is brake pedal engages way down near the floor where the accelerator pedal is. Easy to hit accelerator when trying to brake. Why does Toyota for 2009 decide to situate non-adjustable break point so low? Electronic steering becomes annoying after a while too. No real road feel as in a normal hydraulic steering system.

rear seats fold down for long cargo. Engine very peppy (so don't hit accelerator unless you really want power!)

Reposition brake pedal away from accelerator territory. Go back to hydraulic assisted rack and pinion steering.

Too bad with the recalls
By pgklee

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car is very easy to drive. Love the Gas mileage I'm getting. Comfortable even for a tall person (I am 6'4"). Feels very solid. Not too worried about the recall, as with the Manual transmission a sticking accelerator would be less of a safety problem. Dealership has been great even replaced the radio after I had a small problem with it.

Love the auto on lights