Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

By Joshua Winters

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. We found it. My wife drives about 30,000 miles a year for her job. This car is perfect. It has lots of room and the back seats fold down for our hiking equipment. We love the great gas mileage.

It is very quiet. Great gas mileage. Very comfortable. These cars have been around a long time for a reason.

We have only had this car for about 3 days. My wife would like the windows to go all the way down with just one touch.

First Toyota
By First Corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was either going to buy a Yaris or the Corolla and when I drove up to the lot there was a Barcelona red Corolla and a red Yaris. The salesman thought I should get the Corolla because of the more roominess and other options. Best friend has a Yaris and he gloats how it gets better mileage but I don't think I have made a mistake in getting the Corolla. I put about fifty miles a day in it so I was looking for fuel economy and I love the style of this car. The color turns many heads and it drives great! I get about 31 miles a gallon in the winter and it goes up to 35 in the summer. Eighty percent of my driving is freeway. Its a great car.

Easy to park and turn around. Easy to drive and is comfortable on long trips.

The clock should be moved to the middle of the dash by the radio.

Great Basic Car
By Pete Chapman

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. Don't understand the steering problem with some people. At 80 miles per hour on the interstate car runs smoothly, very quiet and stays in line.

All.

None at this time. Just turned 12,000 miles..

Overall I'm pleased with it, but.....
By Corrolla Rolla

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The suspension on the S feels very sure-footed. The styling is surprisingly sporty. The economy is good. The engine feels solid. The car is an overall good size. It's pretty well insulated. Good sound. Great heat and AC. Feels nice to drive. nice little extras on the S. There are drawbacks though. The exterior paint is not durable at all. The brakes are a bit squishy compared to other new cars. The transmission shifts up if I brake going down hill, but the service shop claims nothing is wrong. The headliner feels hollow. Plastic clips hold interior pieces together instead of screws. Poor water drop management. You can NEVER turn your lights off in the dark...EVER

Exterior/Interior styling. Fuel Economy. Engine Build. Handling. Size. UV filter on windows. Freeway performance. Price. To me, it feels like a Jr. Lexus IS. Plus I don't think I'll ever be upside down on this thing and I only put $3000 as a down payment. Hopefully the value retains well.

Paint needs to be durable...not more durable...durable to begin with. Brakes could be more responsive. Stop cutting corners with headliner, plastic clips instead of screws, lack of reinforcement in wheel wells, etc. Quit dragging a$$ with issuing and addressing these recalls. It's frustrating.

Thank god its gone!
By electricwitch

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 2009 corolla S in today for a Honda CR-V. The corolla had a clutch issue. Constantly stalling in traffic. I mentioned it to the dealer, they just insinuated that I needed more "practice with clutch". Well, 35 years is a lot. My other car has a clutch, no problem there and anyone who drove this corolla had issues also. Paid 19k. It was only worth 9k a little over a year later. Cramped, zero headroom, cheap paint job, plastic parts that snap in the cold. It did have good gas mileage tho, and I could have dealt with all of the cosmetic stuff, but the stalling out in traffic thing is just plain dangerous. Didn't want to wait for a recall and maybe become a statistic. Shame on you Toyota!

Great gas, mileage, great headlights for night driving

Use better quality materials. This corolla was made of cheap plastic parts, had cheesy paint, awful awful car. Rotten sound system, I am sorry that I bought it. Very sorry.