2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Overall good, honest transportation
By JMG on 10/20/09 21:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Corolla is a good commuter car that will retain its value and last for years. It's cheap, honest transportation with a few bonuses like standard side impact airbags. The biggest drawback with the '09 Corolla is the steering. It's incredibly vague and drifts on the freeway. Looking back, I wish I would have leased the car with a manual transmission. At the time, there weren't that many on the lot. I love Toyotas in general. We also have an '87 Camry in the family. Service has been very good at our local dealer.

Steering Issues and the FIX
By heiliner on 10/17/09 04:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 Corolla LE has about 23000 miles on it and steers great and handles great. That wasn't always the case. The car used to steer like the front was toed in. The problem issues were that the car was out of alignment in the rear and the Goodyear Eagle tires. The rear axle of an LE is a "stamped axle" and has no alignment adjustment. I had to have an alignment shop modify the rear axle bolt position to bring the car into a correct factory assignment. Once that was done the car steers as you would expect and it gained about 2 miles per gallon in fuel economy. I also replaced the Goodyear Eagle tires which are not safe on wet pavement with Yokohama Avid Tour S tires. Now a very nice car!

Okay, but needs some improvements...
By vtnc85 on 10/07/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2009 Toyota Corolla LE since May 2008. I purchased it right after they became available at my local dealership, and traded my 2004 Corolla, which I loved. I fell in love with the redesigned body style of the 2009 model, but that's where the love ends! The biggest complaint I, and many other owners that I have talked to, have with the 2009 Corolla is the Electric Power Steering. I cannot, for the life of me, keep the car in a straight line when traveling over 50mph. I think that it is a design flaw that should get looked into. Other than that rather annoying and potentially unsafe aspect, the build quality is comparable with the 2004 model. Gas mileage is about 35mpg.

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Ugh! on 10/04/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is absolutely the most boring car I've ever owned. I've owned everything from sedans, to coupes, to convertibles, and trucks - this is the least inspiring car I could ever imagine to own. I drive a lot for work, and I just wanted something with good fuel economy and a reputation for reliability. I suppose it has that in spades, but that's all it has. In a practical sense, there is nothing wrong with the car. It does what it's meant to do, but I hate driving this car. I can't wait until I get rid of it. The engine is lifeless, and the steering and handling are non-existent. Boring, boring, boring, boring!! I will probably never buy another Toyota, and would never buy a Lexus either.

I like it, but...
By G on 10/03/09 10:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I like my Corolla. I chose a Corolla base on its reputation and Intellichoice.com recommendation. Along with the Civic, it has the lowest Total Cost of Ownership. The reason I picked the Corolla it was simply because Toyota gave me more for the money, alloy wheels, power locks and windows, etc. I am intending to keep this car for a few years so I bought extended warranty and paint and rust protection. Toyota could have worked on the interior a bit. The stereo seems cheap quality.

Very happy with this car - no regrets
By kjmurphy on 10/02/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car after the engine went on our 2002 Nissan Altima. Very happy with the styling, handling, etc. with the Corolla. Nice head room for my boyfriend as he is 6'2" vs. the Civic. Negotiated a great deal and even had the dealer put in leather seats and front seat heaters.

simply amazing
By Mike on 09/21/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was my very first purchase of a Toyota vehicle and I am simply amazed...by everything from the friendly and cooperative salesmen to the overall quality and value of this car. I was so impressed with this vehicle I actually found myself trying to find something not to like. I Thought to myself well this car cant be that good, can it? Well that is just nutty. This is the perfect car for me, in fact I look at it as a gift. I know that may sound a little strange or perhaps sappy but that is exactly how I feel, like it or not. Assuming Toyota continues with this level of quality and affordability, I will be a customer for life.

Rattles & steering
By Tony on 09/15/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car overall our 5th Toyota. Fuel consumption is good about 5.5 litres/100km on long runs & 6.8 around town. Very sensitive steering. This is not a problem but does require more attention while driving or the car can be in the wrong lane very quickly. Have experienced a rumble/knock in front region of car plus rattles in sun roof. Dealer changed windshield thinking it was flexing body.This didn't solve problem. Dealer has just replaced a front strut & housing which has solved problem. Now we only have minor rattles.

A real great commuter car
By baybsea on 09/11/09 08:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great looks at affordable price, real good on gas mileage, average 30.9 miles to the gallon rarely drive on freeway, mostly stop and go. Does lack in the power area but a real great commuter car.

Think twice
By angelique on 09/09/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very disappointed. I have had this car 11 months now, and my intermediate shaft has given out, my brakes replaced, rotators SHAVED, and intermediate shaft replaced. I have taken my car to the dealership 3 times and finally had them sit in car to listen before something was done about brakes. The recall is only in northern states for the brakes. Although all of the above has been done. Costing me time and no car during the days being fixed!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla in VA is:

$102 per month*