2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Corolla vs. Civic
By Kevin on 06/23/10 09:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2008 Civic that was totaled and replaced it with a 2009 Corolla. The Corolla is much quieter and smoother on the road and the stereo in the LE Corolla has a much richer sound than did the LX Civic. The Corolla gets fantastic gas mileage, as did the Civic, 35mpg is easy.

I love my Corolla S
By Ari on 06/13/10 22:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with my 09 Corolla S as of today it has 43k miles on it. It delivers on everything Toyota claims. Incredible fuel economy I commonly get over 40 MPG with mixed driving. On a trip from Sacramento CA to Los Angeles CA I averaged 45.3 MPG with the cruise set to 70 MPH and yes after driving over 370 miles I had over a half tank showing on the display. Styling is very impressive for a compact car. It gives you the feel of a much larger car while driving. Corners like a sports car with very little body roll or tire squeaks. I am the owner of a used car dealership so I drive dozens of cars on a daily basis I would recommend this car to anybody hands down!

Traded-in 09 toyota corolla
By steve on 06/08/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this 09 corolla s model in DEC of 09 and traded it in on March of this year (2010). Corolla was garbage. Steering was horrible wind blew the car all over the highway and if a 18-Wheeler passed you, you had better hold on for dear life. Car was a death trap and after 4 month's I had enough and got a 2010 Kia forte coup and the difference between the 2 cars is night and day. Easy to see why Toyota is having all these problems. They are not building quality cars like they used to. According to owners reviews on this site i am not the only one who had problems with the corolla.

Satisfied customer
By Manatee Co. Fl. on 05/24/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I use this car for back and forth to work and get 34-36 mpg year round and 40 on the highway. It is roomy for its size and with the backseat down I can carry all sorts of things.

By Joshua Winters on 04/28/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. We found it. My wife drives about 30,000 miles a year for her job. This car is perfect. It has lots of room and the back seats fold down for our hiking equipment. We love the great gas mileage.

First Toyota
By First Corolla on 03/24/10 16:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was either going to buy a Yaris or the Corolla and when I drove up to the lot there was a Barcelona red Corolla and a red Yaris. The salesman thought I should get the Corolla because of the more roominess and other options. Best friend has a Yaris and he gloats how it gets better mileage but I don't think I have made a mistake in getting the Corolla. I put about fifty miles a day in it so I was looking for fuel economy and I love the style of this car. The color turns many heads and it drives great! I get about 31 miles a gallon in the winter and it goes up to 35 in the summer. Eighty percent of my driving is freeway. Its a great car.

Great Basic Car
By Pete Chapman on 03/18/10 16:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. Don't understand the steering problem with some people. At 80 miles per hour on the interstate car runs smoothly, very quiet and stays in line.

Overall I'm pleased with it, but.....
By Corrolla Rolla on 03/12/10 19:28 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The suspension on the S feels very sure-footed. The styling is surprisingly sporty. The economy is good. The engine feels solid. The car is an overall good size. It's pretty well insulated. Good sound. Great heat and AC. Feels nice to drive. nice little extras on the S. There are drawbacks though. The exterior paint is not durable at all. The brakes are a bit squishy compared to other new cars. The transmission shifts up if I brake going down hill, but the service shop claims nothing is wrong. The headliner feels hollow. Plastic clips hold interior pieces together instead of screws. Poor water drop management. You can NEVER turn your lights off in the dark...EVER

Thank god its gone!
By electricwitch on 03/11/10 18:31 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 2009 corolla S in today for a Honda CR-V. The corolla had a clutch issue. Constantly stalling in traffic. I mentioned it to the dealer, they just insinuated that I needed more "practice with clutch". Well, 35 years is a lot. My other car has a clutch, no problem there and anyone who drove this corolla had issues also. Paid 19k. It was only worth 9k a little over a year later. Cramped, zero headroom, cheap paint job, plastic parts that snap in the cold. It did have good gas mileage tho, and I could have dealt with all of the cosmetic stuff, but the stalling out in traffic thing is just plain dangerous. Didn't want to wait for a recall and maybe become a statistic. Shame on you Toyota!

Not what I expected!!
By lakiki on 02/27/10 19:40 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in Feb of 09. I decided to get a brand new corolla since I had another corolla 94 for many years. Great car!!! I guess they dont make them like that anymore!!Three months later the A/C compressor broke, then took it back because of brake issues, ended up with a rental car for 2 days while the parts arrived. The steering is not smooth at all, this car just drifts to the right and then to the left. Seems like it has a mind of its own. Not fun for long drives, even in the city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla in VA is:

$102 per month*