Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Update
By Don

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an update of my earlier review. Now that we have had our Corolla for several months I can be more accurate about the mpg. With careful driving we can get 30 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway, using the AC will reduce this to about 28/38 mpg. This is fantastic for any car. Fast drivers will of course get less. We drive between 65 and 70 on the freeways. All in all the Corolla is a great value for the money.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, seat comfort, quiet, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Clock location

A Pleasant Surprise
By Saleem

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After buying a car, it's a great feeling when you realize that the car is a lot better than what you had expected. I brought it as cheap car for my long daily commute and I am extremely happy with it. It's a little weak on power, but besides that, it is great. I am getting an "average" of 39 mpg. Great for single person commuting. I would recommend Camry if there will be more than two passenger.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, very nice stereo, very easy to use cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

A little more legroom in the back seat. A little more power without compromising the gas mileage.

Should've gotten the Yaris instead
By Ex-Toyotafan

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I went to the dealership to get a Prius and ended up with a Corolla. Bad decision. If I was looking at fuel efficiency and fun to drive and style in a Toyota, I should've listened to my gut feeling and picked up the Yaris hatchback instead. It's far more pleasing to the eye. The Corolla only excels in build quality and fuel efficiency. These are major things for most people and most people seem to definitely go past the looks and driving dynamics of this awkward-looking refrigerator. The interior is not bad except it looks more like the Korean cars of yesteryear, the floaty ride is good if I am the passenger and 4-speed auto is to dated, so as the drum rear brakes.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficient.

Suggested Improvements

Let's start with the exterior look. This car looks like it was already 10 years old as soon as I drove out of the dealership. It was the nicest Corolla in the lot though.

Worth every penny!
By Rose

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car last month after much contemplation. No matter how we put it this was the best choice for our money in this economy... & yes I used to drive a BMW 525i so it was not an easy decision for me. So far we are very happy with the performance of this car. Mileage is excellent, runs smooth, not so great on the luxury but the money we spent on BMW repairs, I rather go for an okay looking car that is cheaper to maintain and lasts much longer. The feel of steering is amazing like a luxury vehicle. Mileage is unbeatable. I am petite, my husband is 5'11" and we find the arm rest okay when it's slided front but could have been better.

Favorite Features

I love the wood trim, it goes great with the silver exterior. CD player and audio is great. No bump in the back for more passenger room. Great trunk size with foldable backseats. Daytime auto light, auto lock when reverse, keyless entry & trunk option. Door knobs & Exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Clock should definitely be on the dash and always visible. Placement of rearview mirror is awkward and it should be bigger. Cupholder flaps could be bigger & able to hold water bottles too. Coin holder is tilted.

A lot of features from a trusted brand
By DY

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the chance to own several new cars in the past 4 yrs ranging from a luxurious sport sedan to a crossover. The engine didn't start to feel "powerful" until about 300 miles. I test drove the LE trim w/ std wheels and it felt like it would tip over in turns, but the S I bought has wider 16" alloy wheels and feels much steadier; XRS w/ wider 17" should handle better yet. Steering is very soft & seems to have a mind of its own. Ride is nicely isolated, and road surface noises are muted well compared to my crossover. Interior looks much nicer than the Civic IMO, but several interior areas like the dash and center console are made of hard "cheap" feeling plastic.

Favorite Features

Daytime running lights w/ head/tail lights that turn on when it gets dark. Bright headlights & fog lights make nighttime driving easier. Mix of city/hwy driving has averaged 31 mpg. Large HVAC buttons. MP3 disc player w/ 6 speakers. Vehicle stability control, side curtain airbags, std. ABS.

Suggested Improvements

The clock should be on the center console by itself, not by the speedometer mixed with the multifunction display. The optitron LED console should be std. across all trims. There should be a warning light indicating when a taillight has burnt out; I've seen too many cars with burnt out light bulbs.