Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Update
By Joel Hall

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This review is to update my previous review. Please take your 2009 Corolla for a highway test drive - I wish I had. Toyota Canada can not fix a vibration / shudder at highway speeds. I have had it in numerous times for repairs - even a team from L.A. could not resolve the problem . Apparently Japan is looking for a "fix". I am picking up my brand new GM product tomorrow - Toyota has lost a customer for life. I was pleased with the effort Toyota made in the repairs but totally disappointed in the end result - they simply left me hanging with a defective car.

Fun city car

Drive train problems at highway speeds need to be repaired / reworked / redesigned

Great Commuter
By S Cook

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife traded in our 2008 Accord LX-P because of the sever wind/road noise. Only had the Accord less than eight months. Have had the Corolla for almost a month and she just loves it. It is quieter than the Accord and rides just as well or better. We put 17" wheels on it and it really looks sharp. The gas mileage is about 36 mpg on her daily commute of 85mi round trip, I like the comfortable seats and the power is more than enough to get you on the freeway. Can't say enough good things about the car. It was a great trade as far as we are concerned.

Like the seats and driving position. The controls are easier to use than the Accord. Like the split glove box and the clock where it is located is no problem. I find the arm rest is fine also although that seems to be a problem for some.

Really nothing to suggest here... would like intermittent wiper control on base model

What a change!
By gd

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Until recently I owned three BMWs and love the "It's about the ride", but do not love it is about the money and the maintenance, so my stable has changed and I am down to one old 318i. That said, the little S is fantastic, no heated seats, but automatic lights, JBL stereo with Bluetooth for the phone to be legal and best of all appears primarily only oil changes ever 5k until about 150k miles and that is so unlike a BMW. The reliability factor is worth the change. OK it doesn't drive like a BMW but again 35 plus miles per gallon and in this economy, it just made sense.

The JBL stereo with ability to plug in my iPod, utilize bluetooth devices, in particular my phone. The amount of information to get to know, additionally the fuel economy and lack of anything actually wrong with the car.

Leather and heated seats would be nice and perhaps a bit more get up and go, but do not under any circumstances do anything with the fuel economy except perhaps enhance even that a bit.

Very good economy car
By Frank

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Corolla features a timing chain rather than the usual belt, and has variable valve timing on both camshafts. The mileage is acceptable, although the speedometer reads about 2 mph fast at 35 mph. The fuel flow indicator shows 35.4 mpg after 1800 total miles, but the actual fuel consumption is 33.1 mpg. Adjusted for the previously mentioned speedometer error, that's about an actual 31 mpg. It has much more power than expected, and the full-time electric power steering is O.K. when I became accustomed to it. I'd buy it again, and the price is right compared with the available competition.

The 1.8 engine and auto transmission are flawless, and the Continental tires are of high quality with a 540 tread-wear rating, unusual in this price range.

The clock should be located in the center of the console instead of in the speedometer cluster, and the seats could be improved by changing the contours slightly.

Great Car... Mostly
By Willy

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update. This car is well built and gets good gas mileage. That is expected of Toyota. What I have found after driving the car for over 10,000 miles is that it is not very comfortable. The seats are kind of hard when driving more than 2 hours and the arm rests are too hard. Now for the reason for the update: This new car, the car that was to be my reliable commuter, is now parked for the winter. After a 3 hour trip two weeks ago. On the way there there was some heavy rain and wind. The car was nearly uncontrollable! The tires hydroplaned often. On the way back it snowed. The car was blown around and was difficult to drive. All season tires worthless. Be careful!

Mileage, looks (S model). Fun to drive in nicer weather.

Clock, Temp display. Armrests are hard. Seats uncomfortable on longer drives, OK for daily commute. Unstable in wind. Tires hydroplane. Won't even try snow. Very loud going through puddles (water hits body panels, so does road salt, gravel etc). iPod dock?