Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 284 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sorry I didn't research first
By texas sorry

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 2009 Corolla have been very disappointed so far. It seems to have a mind of its own and wanders around the road, if you glance away even for a moment you will wind up on the other side of the road. Have to keep both hands on steering wheel at all times. Constantly correcting steering to stay on road. And forget driving on a windy day. Glad we did not trade in our 2005 KIA or we would be driving our work truck. Bought Toyota because we all ways considered them a reliable cars. We see this as a safety issue and intend to pursue what ever means we have to. This is our first new car and will probably be our last as we will be on fixed income soon. Wish I had read reviews first.

Gas mileage and large trunk, back seats laying down to accept bigger objects.

Electronic steering improved, darker interior, clock in radio, may come back with update later only have 1000 miles so far but hope we do not encounter any more problems.

Still Enjoying
By swisskid2

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Owned a 1998 Audi A6 that had lots of bells and whistles, but also lots of quality and reliability issues. The Corolla is no Audi, but for 1/2 the cost it looks good, has many nice features and the gas mileage is the best attribute. It is not the fastest car, but it is not supposed to be. I got used to the steering feel within the first tank and do not have the issue of it tacking straight down the road. I like the looks of the 2009 Corolla, not just a vanilla small car. Drove several others, Elantra, Mazda3 and Civic, but liked the Corolla best for looks and features.

Sharp appearance for a little car. The gas mileage is very nice. Reliability and quality so far is top notch. Handling and ride is not bad for a small car and performance is fine for 90% of everyday driving needs. Stereo system is not bad and I like the information system for temp, MPG, E/T

I agree that the clock not being visible is a bit of a bummer. Traction in Iowa winters in not that same as the Audi Quattro, expected better on a fwd car. No independent suspension in the rear seems odd these days, same with the lack of disk brakes in the rear, but no issues yet.

Steering not impressive, but decent car
By Cassie

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've always been fond of Corollas and have driven them in the past. I was disappointed to find, after purchasing this one that these new models don't have the same great handling and steering that I've experienced in the older models. I find, especially when driving on the freeway that the car wanders and I don't feel likr I have a lot of control. I have to grip the steering wheel more intensely, which doesn't bode well for me since I had hoped to be able to use this car for road trips. Aside from steering, the car has met all of my other expectations. It's highly fuel efficient, has a great new look and size and the interior features are easy to manage.

Fuel efficiency. Stereo and speakers (great sound!). Exterior design. Easy to use interior features.

Better handling/steering components

Wish I stayed with Honda
By Typo

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Disappointed after 7 months. Interior plastic trim is already breaking and seems to scuff easily. 2 major repairs (sunroof rattling & seat height adjustment would not hold). Seat is still not working correctly. Sound system not great. No rear dome light, no glove box light or lock, no lights on visor mirrors. Cloth upholstery is a dirt magnet (unless you buy Toyota's protection package). Wipers don't work when there's frost on the window, until the car warms up. I bought this to replace my gas guzzling Honda mini van. Corolla = about 30 MPG with mixed freeway and street driving which I consider very good. Wish I'd stuck with Honda. Had looked at the Fit. More bang for the buck.

Very good MPG in my opinion. I think the Corolla exterior looks nice.

More interior lights (like other brands offer standard), better quality interior, better speakers. Overall quality of interior is kind of cheap (i.e. no trim over bolts that hold the seats to the floor). These things seem minor unless you compare to other brands, especially at the same price.

2009 Toyota Corolla
By itsalladream321

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car for those of you looking for fuel economy. After my Honda Civic was totaled, I got the Corolla. I wanted something similar to the Civic, but more affordable. So far I don't have any complaints. I just took a 1000 mile trip to Oregon and I average about 32 MPG. I think that is a pretty dang good average. It was comfortable and easy to drive the whole way. I loved it.

Tells you your gas average, temp, speed average, how many miles you have left until you run out of gas and it has aux output.

The only thing I can think of is when you are trying to get up to speed to pass someone, it gets to the red line to fast. My Honda never did that.