Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Average Car
By CORO 09

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car is ok compared to a Civic. I don't like that the car does not have an oil filter. Rattle noise on driver's side. The car does not shift properly until the engine is fully warmed up. Overall if you are looking for an economy car that's reliable and gets good gas mileage then this is the car for you. The car has no soul; not fun to drive by any means. Strictly a commuter car.

Safety features, average fuel economy display (although, it's always higher than when I calculate by hand).

Stability control should be standard; clock should be on radio.

Great do it all car
By Hayden

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car for my wife to run around town and back and forth to work. We traded in a 2000 Nissan Xterra and my wife is very happy with it so am I! We average 30 mpg city and 40-42 Hwy (safe range is about 400 miles on the Hwy) The 1.8 auto has plenty of get up and go and the transmission is fantastic. Ride and handling is good, electric steering requires correct driving form on the hwy (both hands on the wheel) around town its great for parking. We recently took it on a 1200 mile road trip loaded up with 2 adults and young child very comfortable although the door armrests are annoyingly low. We have always owned Toyota or Nissan, our old 93 Tercel had over 200,000 miles when sold.

Trip computer, excellent fuel mileage, seats on the "S" model are much better than base models. Virtually no wind or road noise at 70mph. We hope to get at least 10-15 years service out of this one for the money its hard to beat for a daily commuter occasional road trip vehicle.

We have about 7000 miles on the car now and very happy with it. The door armrests are too low and my wife has managed to put a 3 inch round hole in the drivers floor mat with her heal (cheap carpet mats) no issue in any other cars she has owned.

Update
By Joel Hall

2009 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This review is to update my previous review. Please take your 2009 Corolla for a highway test drive - I wish I had. Toyota Canada can not fix a vibration / shudder at highway speeds. I have had it in numerous times for repairs - even a team from L.A. could not resolve the problem . Apparently Japan is looking for a "fix". I am picking up my brand new GM product tomorrow - Toyota has lost a customer for life. I was pleased with the effort Toyota made in the repairs but totally disappointed in the end result - they simply left me hanging with a defective car.

Fun city car

Drive train problems at highway speeds need to be repaired / reworked / redesigned

Great Commuter
By S Cook

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife traded in our 2008 Accord LX-P because of the sever wind/road noise. Only had the Accord less than eight months. Have had the Corolla for almost a month and she just loves it. It is quieter than the Accord and rides just as well or better. We put 17" wheels on it and it really looks sharp. The gas mileage is about 36 mpg on her daily commute of 85mi round trip, I like the comfortable seats and the power is more than enough to get you on the freeway. Can't say enough good things about the car. It was a great trade as far as we are concerned.

Like the seats and driving position. The controls are easier to use than the Accord. Like the split glove box and the clock where it is located is no problem. I find the arm rest is fine also although that seems to be a problem for some.

Really nothing to suggest here... would like intermittent wiper control on base model

What a change!
By gd

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Until recently I owned three BMWs and love the "It's about the ride", but do not love it is about the money and the maintenance, so my stable has changed and I am down to one old 318i. That said, the little S is fantastic, no heated seats, but automatic lights, JBL stereo with Bluetooth for the phone to be legal and best of all appears primarily only oil changes ever 5k until about 150k miles and that is so unlike a BMW. The reliability factor is worth the change. OK it doesn't drive like a BMW but again 35 plus miles per gallon and in this economy, it just made sense.

The JBL stereo with ability to plug in my iPod, utilize bluetooth devices, in particular my phone. The amount of information to get to know, additionally the fuel economy and lack of anything actually wrong with the car.

Leather and heated seats would be nice and perhaps a bit more get up and go, but do not under any circumstances do anything with the fuel economy except perhaps enhance even that a bit.

• SUV