Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
Not what I expected!!
By lakiki

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in Feb of 09. I decided to get a brand new corolla since I had another corolla 94 for many years. Great car!!! I guess they dont make them like that anymore!!Three months later the A/C compressor broke, then took it back because of brake issues, ended up with a rental car for 2 days while the parts arrived. The steering is not smooth at all, this car just drifts to the right and then to the left. Seems like it has a mind of its own. Not fun for long drives, even in the city.

Favorite Features

Has a big trunk, back seats are roomy, nice interior, nice radio!!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing is the STEERING, needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!!!

Toyota's baby Camry
By whcc90069

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the latest corolla generation back in October 2008. The new corolla is much, much roomier than before. There's plenty of power and yet this car still averaged about 27 mpg in the city and about 38 mpg on the freeway. Kinks usually need to be worked on with the first year of most new car designs. Our car certainly had a few problems... The radio's volume control would get stuck sometimes. The radio display works most of the time. The interior trunk release mechanism worked even less of the time. Fortunately, these three items are covered under warranty for the new owner. We sold this car not long ago in order to get the new prius for even better mileage.

Favorite Features

Upholstery is much better than before. You don't get Toyota's legendary static shock treatment. Nice Camry-like exterior styling. Comfortable and roomy inside. Huge trunk space. Great mileage on the freeway. Extraordinary quiet on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Need better brakes. Redesign the hvac controls. They're laid out well, but, also look like they belong in a 1970's car.

PLEASE do NOT buy this car
By chefgirl1

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Corolla for 3 years now. It had 57,000 miles on it. The only cars i have ever had have been Toyotas. Never Again!! My accelerator pedal became stuck 2 days ago I was merging into oncoming traffic on the interstate. I went from 35 mph to a sudden 75 before the pedal came "unstuck". It was the horrifying! My car was not a part of the recent recalls. Until after the incident. I am scarred to drive the car now. I warn all owners and people looking to purchase! it can happen to you! I never thought this would happen to me ever!

Favorite Features

I called the dealership when I heard about all the recall stuff. i was told by the service manager it was perfectly safe to drive my car. She told me it was built in Japan, and that it was not a part of the recall. The day after the event with the pedal she called me back and told me to bring the car in that she had just been informed of the petal recall. the said they performed test on the vehicle reading the edr box. they said they found nothing wrong with my car. no signs that the event had taken place. i told them i no longer feel safe in this car, please do not make me drive it. I was told i had no choice that they couldnt help me.

Suggested Improvements

After much research i have discovered that there is no possible way the read the box. they only have one computer that can read them in the entire United States. I also discovered countless stories like mine. even on cars that have had the recall performed. What is wrong with you Toyota? how do you sleep at night? Knowing that people are in danger to drive the vehicles you have made. I seriously think they have a major problem. Please do not buy one of these cars, ever! if you have one and it gets stuck, neutral and all the way brakes!! I will pray for your protection if u r driving one....

A proven workhorse - Love It
By coppscycle

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Travel average 2 weeks per month Purchased used in 2010 with 14,000 miles - still gets 38 miles to the gallon highway. Removed head rests back seat folds down provides ample room for cargo. Regular maintenance except decided to have transmission flushed at 60,000 miles. Now at 68,000 the car has proven to be reliable and easy to maintain. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Oh Previously drove a Honda Civic (1983) which has 180,000 miles and still gets 34 mpg hwy. When purchasing a car expect it to last until newer models have significantly better gass mileage AND comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Paint choices were slim for this year

Great do it all car
By Hayden

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car for my wife to run around town and back and forth to work. We traded in a 2000 Nissan Xterra and my wife is very happy with it so am I! We average 30 mpg city and 40-42 Hwy (safe range is about 400 miles on the Hwy) The 1.8 auto has plenty of get up and go and the transmission is fantastic. Ride and handling is good, electric steering requires correct driving form on the hwy (both hands on the wheel) around town its great for parking. We recently took it on a 1200 mile road trip loaded up with 2 adults and young child very comfortable although the door armrests are annoyingly low. We have always owned Toyota or Nissan, our old 93 Tercel had over 200,000 miles when sold.

Favorite Features

Trip computer, excellent fuel mileage, seats on the "S" model are much better than base models. Virtually no wind or road noise at 70mph. We hope to get at least 10-15 years service out of this one for the money its hard to beat for a daily commuter occasional road trip vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

We have about 7000 miles on the car now and very happy with it. The door armrests are too low and my wife has managed to put a 3 inch round hole in the drivers floor mat with her heal (cheap carpet mats) no issue in any other cars she has owned.