Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Bad Steering
By flyointment

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought an ‘09 Corolla. Immediately noticed wandering steering on the highway at greater than 60 mph. I heard that in some cases increasing tire pressure helps problem. Found out dealer had 40psi in tires when 30 is appropriate. I reduced to 30psi and it wanders more. Some people don’t have problems with it, but some cars are coming off the line with this problem. Have to have 2 hands on the wheel. If you take one hand off the wheel to adjust the radio (particularly if in winds greater than 15 mph) you may find yourself going out of your lane. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer who claimed to know nothing of the issue. It’s all over the internet and NTSB (25 complaints).

Manual gas cover and trunk release. Seat comfort, larger size.

Obviously steering. Clock needs to be always displayed, information screen.

First and last toyota
By yota

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I've ever driven. Whatever small gains you get from the electric steering assist are nullified by any small gust of wind. You can't relax in a car when you're blowing all over the highway in the slightest wind. Furthermore, the seats are doughy and unsupportive. If you've ever had lower back problems in any car, this one will bring them right back. My Volkswagen had firm, supportive seats and I forgot what it was like to have a sore back after a trip - until now. Cheap backseats too - pull on a corner when they're "locked" and it will have enough give for you (or a criminal) to reach into the trunk. Awful creamsicle backlighting treatment on the dash too.

It was cheap.

Seets unsupportive on long drives. Way too much play in the steering on the highway. Garish dashboard backlighting. Boring and soulless. Toyota's famous reliability doesn't matter when you hate driving the car and will get rid of it as soon as you can.

Love this XLE
By rev4

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This XLE is just a great car. Quality. Ride. Fuel Mileage. Comfort. Style. I bought this not for a "drivers car"...but for comfort, quality, ride, style... and it excels in all categories. I highly recommend this car for someone looking for all the above qualities. It is a "compact Camry"...btw...My other car is a 2002 Camry XLE...

Interior design and quality...very pleasant interior, quality, ride, fuel mileage..

Minor: the clock could be more centrally located and larger.......

Have some concerns!
By Jessica

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Corolla in May 2009, drove 6000 miles with no trouble. I drive short distances & overall was happy with this car. BUT last week the engine started to turn off in the middle of driving. It happened twice when I was going about 25 mph. I brought it to the dealer, they say nothing is wrong. It happened again at a red light, just turned off. I bought a new car to avoid repairs & wasted time, now I will be back at the dealership, no doubt to hear "nothing is wrong". I am very disappointed after all the hype Toyota & the Corolla get about being reliable. I would not recommend the 2009 model.

I like being able to plug in my Ipod. The new design looks great.

If my engine wouldn't cut out then they wouldn't need to improve this car!

Love my Corolla XLE
By rev4

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car. I am extremely happy with this car. I think the "road feel" is just fine. Anyway, I think the car is top quality, nice exterior, wonderful interior, great gas mileage, pleasant to drive in all circumstances. I am very pleased with this purchase.

Quality. Gas mileage. Pleasant interior.

The outside temp gauge, clock could be located in a better spot.