Used 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

My 2nd Corolla
By mred72

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I still own my very first Toyota which is a 2002 Corolla LE which has 180,000 as of writing this review. Knowing it's getting old and burning oil, I figured it was time to buy a back up. I came across a used XLE with only 28,000 miles on it. Since it has the 16" wheels, the highway ride is comparable to that of a Camry. You'd quickly be reminded you are not in a Camry once you need to pass another vehicle and that's when reality sets in. I would love to know how ANY of you get 35MPG or more as my car never got better than 32.5 and it is driven mostly highway. Toyota alleges 35, but I say no way as the average highway speed is 75MPH.

Favorite Features

Upholstered adjustable armrest, JBL sound system, satellite radio, wood trim, stability and traction control and bluetooth technology. I really like the bluetooth; everyone says I sound so clear and no one hears road noise. Brake assist is SUPER nice for those unexpected stops. Remember "stop on a dime" brakes from the 80's? They are back!

Suggested Improvements

This was a model that unfortunately never took off. It could have been loaded up to be a mini Camry XLE but the consumers just didn't bite. The car itself is dated. They have a long way to go since no real design changes have been made since 2009 to current day (minus the rear end changes in 11'). The car has NO power. Dump the 4 speed automatic and put in a 5 or 6 speed automatic. The 1.8L engine is dated and no longer sufficient for the size of the vehicle. The "electronic" steering, while a nice concept should be dumped. It takes a bit of getting used to. I swear, my 02' is faster and RPM's are around 2,000 at 75MPH while this 09' runs close to 3,000RPM.

By Joshua Winters

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. We found it. My wife drives about 30,000 miles a year for her job. This car is perfect. It has lots of room and the back seats fold down for our hiking equipment. We love the great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

It is very quiet. Great gas mileage. Very comfortable. These cars have been around a long time for a reason.

Suggested Improvements

We have only had this car for about 3 days. My wife would like the windows to go all the way down with just one touch.

Love the car
By rstimm

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I seriously don't 'get' the professional car reviewers. Personally I wouldn't want to drive one of the so-called 'fun' cars in my everyday 140 mile commute. Obviously the Corolla is not intended for the MG crowd. In the 18 months I have had the car I have averaged 34-40 MPG, and that is not when I am babying it. That is driving full speed, hell-bent to get home at the end of the day. That alone has made the car worth it. Coming from a fully loaded 4Runner the steering was a bit weird at first, but easy to learn. Comfy ride, well built, great reliability, really great MPG. Hated having to go to dealer for scheduled maintenance first months. Parts now plenty, can go elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, ride comfort, style, reliability, fit and finish, quiet machine

Suggested Improvements

Fix for wind noise when rear windows are down, no biggie. Dedicated clock.

Great run around car
By Don

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car to save mileage, have SUV for winter time, needed car to run errands. 10,000 miles and getting 35 mpg still. Great on 2 hr road trips. Comfortable and easy to park downtown or at mall.

Suggested Improvements

clock could be better located and brighter engine noise at high rpm

Love this XLE
By rev4

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This XLE is just a great car. Quality. Ride. Fuel Mileage. Comfort. Style. I bought this not for a "drivers car"...but for comfort, quality, ride, style... and it excels in all categories. I highly recommend this car for someone looking for all the above qualities. It is a "compact Camry"...btw...My other car is a 2002 Camry XLE...

Favorite Features

Interior design and quality...very pleasant interior, quality, ride, fuel mileage..

Suggested Improvements

Minor: the clock could be more centrally located and larger.......