Used 2009 Toyota Corolla S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

2009 Toyota Corolla S
By 09corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second toyota corolla and i have alway loved toyota and could not see myself buying anything else. Well this car has changed that opinion and my next car will not be a toyota. This 2009 has had the whole A/C replaces, cam shaft gear, starter and the car still has problems starting. My corolla only had 56,000 miles. Total cost of repairs under warranty is over $9,000…. beware of the 2009 year.

Favorite Features

JBL sound system and they way the car looks.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota need to improve the build quality of the interior and also choose better suppliers for the parts of the car.

Deeply disappointing
By corolla09

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first tow back to the dealer was at 26 km. Sadly things went downhill from there. When I complained about all the rattles and excessive number of engine repairs a Toyota official told me "you cannot compared the Corolla to the Dodge Neon -- they're not in the same class". Three years later I've come to realize they weren't joking. As an example of the corner-cutting in this car notice that Toyota chose tape rather than clamps to hold the windscreen washer hoses under the bonnet. Now just out of warranty, and at just 19,000 km, I've been told the piston rings need to be replaced.

Suggested Improvements

If you remove the hard plastic centre console lid you won't hit your funny bone when changing into 2/4/reverse. An over-drive gear would be nice. A proper clock. A trip-computer button located anywhere else. A quality interior.

I love my Corolla S
By Ari

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with my 09 Corolla S as of today it has 43k miles on it. It delivers on everything Toyota claims. Incredible fuel economy I commonly get over 40 MPG with mixed driving. On a trip from Sacramento CA to Los Angeles CA I averaged 45.3 MPG with the cruise set to 70 MPH and yes after driving over 370 miles I had over a half tank showing on the display. Styling is very impressive for a compact car. It gives you the feel of a much larger car while driving. Corners like a sports car with very little body roll or tire squeaks. I am the owner of a used car dealership so I drive dozens of cars on a daily basis I would recommend this car to anybody hands down!

Favorite Features

fuel economy, styling, interior features, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

This was a tough one! I guess I'd use thicker floor mats I've placed a hole on the bottom of the driver's side mat from where my heal makes contact.

Thank god its gone!
By electricwitch

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 2009 corolla S in today for a Honda CR-V. The corolla had a clutch issue. Constantly stalling in traffic. I mentioned it to the dealer, they just insinuated that I needed more "practice with clutch". Well, 35 years is a lot. My other car has a clutch, no problem there and anyone who drove this corolla had issues also. Paid 19k. It was only worth 9k a little over a year later. Cramped, zero headroom, cheap paint job, plastic parts that snap in the cold. It did have good gas mileage tho, and I could have dealt with all of the cosmetic stuff, but the stalling out in traffic thing is just plain dangerous. Didn't want to wait for a recall and maybe become a statistic. Shame on you Toyota!

Favorite Features

Great gas, mileage, great headlights for night driving

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality materials. This corolla was made of cheap plastic parts, had cheesy paint, awful awful car. Rotten sound system, I am sorry that I bought it. Very sorry.

Good Commutor
By Jim

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car. I drive it to work 120 miles round trip. We drove the car from MN to Maine last summer. Car has always run great. It is not a sports car, but it is good reliable transportation.

Favorite Features

40-50 MPG if I am careful. Good radio. Built in bluetooth for cell phone is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Cover over spare tire in trunk is cardboard. Should use something better.