2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Highly dissapointed- will never buy Toyota again
By energy_1st on 04/19/14 13:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2 months after warranty was over (oh yeah!), check engine light went on (P2727) with less than 50k miles. Ended up changing both the torque converter and solenoids as well as the sensor to get rid of the light... 10 miles later, the light went off again... They're telling me now that the computer has issues which has to be changed. I don't know whom to trust and what to do next. Will trade in my car for another car which won't be a Toyota for sure.... Yep, Toyota's legendary reliability is only good until you're covered under warranty... My advice to you if you decide buy a Toyota, add an extended warranty...

I hate what you do for me Toyota.
By mcgovern1981 on 03/19/14 15:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Sort and sweet. 3 recalls unsure if my car was ever safe to drive. An interior that constantly squeaks. Finally the last straw at 68k I'm told I need a new transmission because I'm getting a clicking noise whenever I take my foot of the gas they say its a broken tooth on the pinion drive gear..... There's your legendary reliability. I wonder how much pro reviewers get paid to praise these cars.

A proven workhorse - Love It
By coppscycle on 09/15/12 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Travel average 2 weeks per month Purchased used in 2010 with 14,000 miles - still gets 38 miles to the gallon highway. Removed head rests back seat folds down provides ample room for cargo. Regular maintenance except decided to have transmission flushed at 60,000 miles. Now at 68,000 the car has proven to be reliable and easy to maintain. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Oh Previously drove a Honda Civic (1983) which has 180,000 miles and still gets 34 mpg hwy. When purchasing a car expect it to last until newer models have significantly better gass mileage AND comfort.

Is Toyota losing their touch?
By johnhlanding on 07/18/12 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second toyota and has come to be very disappointing. The build quality, cheap parts, and overall value of the car is terrible. My biggest issue is oil consumption. The car uses at least 1 quart of oil a week. The dealer says nothing is wrong. Other reviews online point out the same issue. My life now consists of weekly visits to an instant oil change place to get it topped off. Thank God it is free! Otherwise I would go bankrupt just buying oil to refill it with. The steering is awful at high speeds. I fear that Toyota is becoming the Japanese version of GM. I guess I will try my luck with Honda or maybe Ford if I am forced to find another vehicle.

great car except for paint job
By warren65 on 10/29/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Hi I have a corolla le 2009. Its a great car no problems mechanically. The paint job on the front hood has about 12 black spots on it they are very tiny but noticeable. Toyota claims they are rocks or stones from the road and no warranty coverage. Does anyone else have this problem? Still a reliable car.

Wonderful reliable car
By jastin on 09/06/11 06:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving my corolla for 95000 miles over just 3 years. This car has been on long road trips with no problems. Car is comfortable, very little cabin noise. Reliability has been exceptional, only oil and filter change. Drive like the day I took it out of the dealership.

I've had Toyotas since 1971 My NX car Hyundia Sanota
By robertgdean on 02/06/11 04:18 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

For those who own a 2009-2011 Corolla LE Things that were added "Great". What they forgot is to put a arm rest in center console. I had one on my Camry LE.1992..wished I still had the arm rest. CON.power steering goes out when U reach 15mph or then the transmission kicks in 3rd geer when slowing down. I'm told that was to save gas/BULL For those dealing with the head rest, Pull them out an place them in backward. The seats. go to a junk yard and take out a Camry seat in good shape, get it. I drove back fr NC to NASH handling bad. used to putting one hand and was able to glide. Of all the cons heresAproIt has to be one of the SAFESTCARSon the road. I'm living PROOF myCorollaWillSaveUrLIFE

PLEASE do NOT buy this car
By chefgirl1 on 02/05/11 15:17 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Corolla for 3 years now. It had 57,000 miles on it. The only cars i have ever had have been Toyotas. Never Again!! My accelerator pedal became stuck 2 days ago I was merging into oncoming traffic on the interstate. I went from 35 mph to a sudden 75 before the pedal came "unstuck". It was the horrifying! My car was not a part of the recent recalls. Until after the incident. I am scarred to drive the car now. I warn all owners and people looking to purchase! it can happen to you! I never thought this would happen to me ever!

3 recalls and counting
By Martha on 09/07/10 19:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My car has had 3 recalls and a TSB. In the 14 months I've had the car, it has been in the shop 6 times. The steering still isn't great after the TSB. Toyota has assigned me a different first name from day one, and after many phone calls and faxes, I still can't get it corrected. Calling TOYOTA headquarters in Torrance, CA. IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME. I only drive this car around town and would be too scared to take it on a road trip. I owned a Subaru before my Corolla and drove it for 19 years. I would get rid of my Corolla tomorrow if I could afford to.

Wish I had my Camry back
By RJD on 08/02/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My '07 Camry LE was wrecked and not the same after being repaired, so bought this Corolla. MPG is excellent, but the interior is cheap, with hard plastic everywhere. Center console has uncomfortable hard plastic to rest your elbow on. The car handles well in the snow with the traction control. Outside/wind noise is quite apparent at times. In spite of these complaints, it's a very good little car and I'd buy another one if I had to, but wish I had my Camry back. The Camry was luxurious compared to this Corolla. This car sits low, making it hard for me to get out of, even with the seat elevated as high as it will go. This car will run 70+ mph on the interstates without batting an eyelash.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan in VA is:

$135 per month*