Used 2009 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Good
By Jason Rodriguez

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

So far ok. The car makes a bad noise every time I turn it on. The oil consumption is also bad I have to constantly check the oil it run out before I have to do the change. I had to change the water pump and the alternator in this car. Plus Toyota had to cut the gas pedal it was getting stuck with the rug. In the other hand I have the car for 7 years it have 140,000 miles I have gone all over the US with my car and this are the only things that have happen.

Favorite Features

It takes little gas to fill up.

Highly dissapointed- will never buy Toyota again
By energy_1st

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2 months after warranty was over (oh yeah!), check engine light went on (P2727) with less than 50k miles. Ended up changing both the torque converter and solenoids as well as the sensor to get rid of the light... 10 miles later, the light went off again... They're telling me now that the computer has issues which has to be changed. I don't know whom to trust and what to do next. Will trade in my car for another car which won't be a Toyota for sure.... Yep, Toyota's legendary reliability is only good until you're covered under warranty... My advice to you if you decide buy a Toyota, add an extended warranty...

Favorite Features

Liked the look and feel. My first car after I graduated from college and loved the student rebate ($500 at the time).

Suggested Improvements

Your dealerships are disgusting especially the Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. Teach them to treat customers such that they feel they can trust them and bring the car there anytime they face an issue. I never felt I could trust Toyora dealership rather than being ripped off by them. I understand your business model (lower the purchase price, make up for the revenue on service fees) seriously???? people are not stupid. Your dealers are charging more than twice for the same service. I'd rather pay more for a better car....

I hate what you do for me Toyota.
By mcgovern1981

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Sort and sweet. 3 recalls unsure if my car was ever safe to drive. An interior that constantly squeaks. Finally the last straw at 68k I'm told I need a new transmission because I'm getting a clicking noise whenever I take my foot of the gas they say its a broken tooth on the pinion drive gear..... There's your legendary reliability. I wonder how much pro reviewers get paid to praise these cars.

A proven workhorse - Love It
By coppscycle

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Travel average 2 weeks per month Purchased used in 2010 with 14,000 miles - still gets 38 miles to the gallon highway. Removed head rests back seat folds down provides ample room for cargo. Regular maintenance except decided to have transmission flushed at 60,000 miles. Now at 68,000 the car has proven to be reliable and easy to maintain. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Oh Previously drove a Honda Civic (1983) which has 180,000 miles and still gets 34 mpg hwy. When purchasing a car expect it to last until newer models have significantly better gass mileage AND comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Paint choices were slim for this year

Is Toyota losing their touch?
By johnhlanding

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second toyota and has come to be very disappointing. The build quality, cheap parts, and overall value of the car is terrible. My biggest issue is oil consumption. The car uses at least 1 quart of oil a week. The dealer says nothing is wrong. Other reviews online point out the same issue. My life now consists of weekly visits to an instant oil change place to get it topped off. Thank God it is free! Otherwise I would go bankrupt just buying oil to refill it with. The steering is awful at high speeds. I fear that Toyota is becoming the Japanese version of GM. I guess I will try my luck with Honda or maybe Ford if I am forced to find another vehicle.

Favorite Features

The exterior design of the car has revamped the corolla.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem with oil consumption. Make interior less plain and with better materials. This cheap stuff that you installed in it is wearing out fast.