2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
2009 Toyota Corolla S
By 09corolla on 12/08/13 08:58 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second toyota corolla and i have alway loved toyota and could not see myself buying anything else. Well this car has changed that opinion and my next car will not be a toyota. This 2009 has had the whole A/C replaces, cam shaft gear, starter and the car still has problems starting. My corolla only had 56,000 miles. Total cost of repairs under warranty is over $9,000…. beware of the 2009 year.

Deeply disappointing
By corolla09 on 08/21/12 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first tow back to the dealer was at 26 km. Sadly things went downhill from there. When I complained about all the rattles and excessive number of engine repairs a Toyota official told me "you cannot compared the Corolla to the Dodge Neon -- they're not in the same class". Three years later I've come to realize they weren't joking. As an example of the corner-cutting in this car notice that Toyota chose tape rather than clamps to hold the windscreen washer hoses under the bonnet. Now just out of warranty, and at just 19,000 km, I've been told the piston rings need to be replaced.

I love my Corolla S
By Ari on 06/13/10 22:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with my 09 Corolla S as of today it has 43k miles on it. It delivers on everything Toyota claims. Incredible fuel economy I commonly get over 40 MPG with mixed driving. On a trip from Sacramento CA to Los Angeles CA I averaged 45.3 MPG with the cruise set to 70 MPH and yes after driving over 370 miles I had over a half tank showing on the display. Styling is very impressive for a compact car. It gives you the feel of a much larger car while driving. Corners like a sports car with very little body roll or tire squeaks. I am the owner of a used car dealership so I drive dozens of cars on a daily basis I would recommend this car to anybody hands down!

Thank god its gone!
By electricwitch on 03/11/10 18:31 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 2009 corolla S in today for a Honda CR-V. The corolla had a clutch issue. Constantly stalling in traffic. I mentioned it to the dealer, they just insinuated that I needed more "practice with clutch". Well, 35 years is a lot. My other car has a clutch, no problem there and anyone who drove this corolla had issues also. Paid 19k. It was only worth 9k a little over a year later. Cramped, zero headroom, cheap paint job, plastic parts that snap in the cold. It did have good gas mileage tho, and I could have dealt with all of the cosmetic stuff, but the stalling out in traffic thing is just plain dangerous. Didn't want to wait for a recall and maybe become a statistic. Shame on you Toyota!

Good Commutor
By Jim on 12/31/09 17:42 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car. I drive it to work 120 miles round trip. We drove the car from MN to Maine last summer. Car has always run great. It is not a sports car, but it is good reliable transportation.

Think twice
By angelique on 09/09/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very disappointed. I have had this car 11 months now, and my intermediate shaft has given out, my brakes replaced, rotators SHAVED, and intermediate shaft replaced. I have taken my car to the dealership 3 times and finally had them sit in car to listen before something was done about brakes. The recall is only in northern states for the brakes. Although all of the above has been done. Costing me time and no car during the days being fixed!!!

Fun little car
By MarkC on 08/18/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I drive 30,000 or so miles a year, and this car seems ready and eager to handle the task. I went for the impossible to find 'S' with a manual trans, glad I did. Get into 5th gear on the highway, and although the tach shows 3000+ RPM's, its returning 36, 37 m.p.h. Amazing. Good pep, even with the A/C on -- which works great. My family of four took it on a week's vacation, no problem. The trunk's huge for a car this size. I have had no issues with this car wandering on the highways, and its been on the highway a lot already. I traded in a 3/4 ton truck (didn't need it) for this, and of course I miss the stuff my truck could do, but this is so much more practical for my life.

Buy this car!
By stacey on 06/21/09 14:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

GREAT MPGs - 38.1 mpg combined (per dashboard computer) - I drive 90 mi/day (mostly hwy) @ speed limit. Speeding reduces MPG. Pluses: not expensive, nice looking, comfortable seats, roomy, high quality everything. Easy shifting, Fog lights, Auto light on, Clock, Trip calculator, Exterior, Ro braking, VSC, Traction Control.

Great Car... Mostly
By Willy on 11/21/08 05:52 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update. This car is well built and gets good gas mileage. That is expected of Toyota. What I have found after driving the car for over 10,000 miles is that it is not very comfortable. The seats are kind of hard when driving more than 2 hours and the arm rests are too hard. Now for the reason for the update: This new car, the car that was to be my reliable commuter, is now parked for the winter. After a 3 hour trip two weeks ago. On the way there there was some heavy rain and wind. The car was nearly uncontrollable! The tires hydroplaned often. On the way back it snowed. The car was blown around and was difficult to drive. All season tires worthless. Be careful!

Gas miser
By the ole man on 10/31/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had an 08 and put 27000 on it, but the 09 is so much better. We just got back from a trip down to SC. and I averaged 39 mpg @ 65 to 70 mph. I am tall and had no complaints about comfort. I even like the electric steering now that I am used to it. The one thing I do not like about it is the special tool I need to remove the oil filter for doing my own oil changes.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*