2009 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

Highly dissapointed- will never buy Toyota again
By energy_1st

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2 months after warranty was over (oh yeah!), check engine light went on (P2727) with less than 50k miles. Ended up changing both the torque converter and solenoids as well as the sensor to get rid of the light... 10 miles later, the light went off again... They're telling me now that the computer has issues which has to be changed. I don't know whom to trust and what to do next. Will trade in my car for another car which won't be a Toyota for sure.... Yep, Toyota's legendary reliability is only good until you're covered under warranty... My advice to you if you decide buy a Toyota, add an extended warranty...

Favorite Features

Liked the look and feel. My first car after I graduated from college and loved the student rebate ($500 at the time).

Suggested Improvements

Your dealerships are disgusting especially the Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. Teach them to treat customers such that they feel they can trust them and bring the car there anytime they face an issue. I never felt I could trust Toyora dealership rather than being ripped off by them. I understand your business model (lower the purchase price, make up for the revenue on service fees) seriously???? people are not stupid. Your dealers are charging more than twice for the same service. I'd rather pay more for a better car....

I hate what you do for me Toyota.
By mcgovern1981

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Sort and sweet. 3 recalls unsure if my car was ever safe to drive. An interior that constantly squeaks. Finally the last straw at 68k I'm told I need a new transmission because I'm getting a clicking noise whenever I take my foot of the gas they say its a broken tooth on the pinion drive gear..... There's your legendary reliability. I wonder how much pro reviewers get paid to praise these cars.

A proven workhorse - Love It
By coppscycle

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Travel average 2 weeks per month Purchased used in 2010 with 14,000 miles - still gets 38 miles to the gallon highway. Removed head rests back seat folds down provides ample room for cargo. Regular maintenance except decided to have transmission flushed at 60,000 miles. Now at 68,000 the car has proven to be reliable and easy to maintain. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Oh Previously drove a Honda Civic (1983) which has 180,000 miles and still gets 34 mpg hwy. When purchasing a car expect it to last until newer models have significantly better gass mileage AND comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Paint choices were slim for this year

Is Toyota losing their touch?
By johnhlanding

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second toyota and has come to be very disappointing. The build quality, cheap parts, and overall value of the car is terrible. My biggest issue is oil consumption. The car uses at least 1 quart of oil a week. The dealer says nothing is wrong. Other reviews online point out the same issue. My life now consists of weekly visits to an instant oil change place to get it topped off. Thank God it is free! Otherwise I would go bankrupt just buying oil to refill it with. The steering is awful at high speeds. I fear that Toyota is becoming the Japanese version of GM. I guess I will try my luck with Honda or maybe Ford if I am forced to find another vehicle.

Favorite Features

The exterior design of the car has revamped the corolla.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem with oil consumption. Make interior less plain and with better materials. This cheap stuff that you installed in it is wearing out fast.

great car except for paint job
By warren65

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Hi I have a corolla le 2009. Its a great car no problems mechanically. The paint job on the front hood has about 12 black spots on it they are very tiny but noticeable. Toyota claims they are rocks or stones from the road and no warranty coverage. Does anyone else have this problem? Still a reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

The paint job!!!!

Wonderful reliable car
By jastin

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving my corolla for 95000 miles over just 3 years. This car has been on long road trips with no problems. Car is comfortable, very little cabin noise. Reliability has been exceptional, only oil and filter change. Drive like the day I took it out of the dealership.

Favorite Features

Look of the car, fuel economy, low maintenance cost, quality of cabin finish.

Suggested Improvements

Available clock in center console (done for new model).

I've had Toyotas since 1971 My NX car Hyundia Sanota
By robertgdean

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

For those who own a 2009-2011 Corolla LE Things that were added "Great". What they forgot is to put a arm rest in center console. I had one on my Camry LE.1992..wished I still had the arm rest. CON.power steering goes out when U reach 15mph or then the transmission kicks in 3rd geer when slowing down. I'm told that was to save gas/BULL For those dealing with the head rest, Pull them out an place them in backward. The seats. go to a junk yard and take out a Camry seat in good shape, get it. I drove back fr NC to NASH handling bad. used to putting one hand and was able to glide. Of all the cons heresAproIt has to be one of the SAFESTCARSon the road. I'm living PROOF myCorollaWillSaveUrLIFE

PLEASE do NOT buy this car
By chefgirl1

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Corolla for 3 years now. It had 57,000 miles on it. The only cars i have ever had have been Toyotas. Never Again!! My accelerator pedal became stuck 2 days ago I was merging into oncoming traffic on the interstate. I went from 35 mph to a sudden 75 before the pedal came "unstuck". It was the horrifying! My car was not a part of the recent recalls. Until after the incident. I am scarred to drive the car now. I warn all owners and people looking to purchase! it can happen to you! I never thought this would happen to me ever!

Favorite Features

I called the dealership when I heard about all the recall stuff. i was told by the service manager it was perfectly safe to drive my car. She told me it was built in Japan, and that it was not a part of the recall. The day after the event with the pedal she called me back and told me to bring the car in that she had just been informed of the petal recall. the said they performed test on the vehicle reading the edr box. they said they found nothing wrong with my car. no signs that the event had taken place. i told them i no longer feel safe in this car, please do not make me drive it. I was told i had no choice that they couldnt help me.

Suggested Improvements

After much research i have discovered that there is no possible way the read the box. they only have one computer that can read them in the entire United States. I also discovered countless stories like mine. even on cars that have had the recall performed. What is wrong with you Toyota? how do you sleep at night? Knowing that people are in danger to drive the vehicles you have made. I seriously think they have a major problem. Please do not buy one of these cars, ever! if you have one and it gets stuck, neutral and all the way brakes!! I will pray for your protection if u r driving one....

3 recalls and counting
By Martha

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My car has had 3 recalls and a TSB. In the 14 months I've had the car, it has been in the shop 6 times. The steering still isn't great after the TSB. Toyota has assigned me a different first name from day one, and after many phone calls and faxes, I still can't get it corrected. Calling TOYOTA headquarters in Torrance, CA. IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME. I only drive this car around town and would be too scared to take it on a road trip. I owned a Subaru before my Corolla and drove it for 19 years. I would get rid of my Corolla tomorrow if I could afford to.

Favorite Features

Size, great mileage, average 31.2 around town. I like the outside temperature gauge, and how the back seats fold down.

Suggested Improvements

Move the clock next to the radio so it can be displayed all the time. I think Toyota should offer me a buy back.

Wish I had my Camry back
By RJD

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My '07 Camry LE was wrecked and not the same after being repaired, so bought this Corolla. MPG is excellent, but the interior is cheap, with hard plastic everywhere. Center console has uncomfortable hard plastic to rest your elbow on. The car handles well in the snow with the traction control. Outside/wind noise is quite apparent at times. In spite of these complaints, it's a very good little car and I'd buy another one if I had to, but wish I had my Camry back. The Camry was luxurious compared to this Corolla. This car sits low, making it hard for me to get out of, even with the seat elevated as high as it will go. This car will run 70+ mph on the interstates without batting an eyelash.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage! Handles well. Very dependable little car. Have had no service issues at all with it.

Suggested Improvements

Padded dashboard and armrest instead of hard plastic.