2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
My 2nd Corolla
By mred72 on 12/30/12 18:09 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I still own my very first Toyota which is a 2002 Corolla LE which has 180,000 as of writing this review. Knowing it's getting old and burning oil, I figured it was time to buy a back up. I came across a used XLE with only 28,000 miles on it. Since it has the 16" wheels, the highway ride is comparable to that of a Camry. You'd quickly be reminded you are not in a Camry once you need to pass another vehicle and that's when reality sets in. I would love to know how ANY of you get 35MPG or more as my car never got better than 32.5 and it is driven mostly highway. Toyota alleges 35, but I say no way as the average highway speed is 75MPH.

By Joshua Winters on 04/28/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. We found it. My wife drives about 30,000 miles a year for her job. This car is perfect. It has lots of room and the back seats fold down for our hiking equipment. We love the great gas mileage.

Love the car
By rstimm on 02/25/10 16:00 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I seriously don't 'get' the professional car reviewers. Personally I wouldn't want to drive one of the so-called 'fun' cars in my everyday 140 mile commute. Obviously the Corolla is not intended for the MG crowd. In the 18 months I have had the car I have averaged 34-40 MPG, and that is not when I am babying it. That is driving full speed, hell-bent to get home at the end of the day. That alone has made the car worth it. Coming from a fully loaded 4Runner the steering was a bit weird at first, but easy to learn. Comfy ride, well built, great reliability, really great MPG. Hated having to go to dealer for scheduled maintenance first months. Parts now plenty, can go elsewhere.

Great run around car
By Don on 04/23/09 04:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car to save mileage, have SUV for winter time, needed car to run errands. 10,000 miles and getting 35 mpg still. Great on 2 hr road trips. Comfortable and easy to park downtown or at mall.

Love this XLE
By rev4 on 03/04/09 21:24 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This XLE is just a great car. Quality. Ride. Fuel Mileage. Comfort. Style. I bought this not for a "drivers car"...but for comfort, quality, ride, style... and it excels in all categories. I highly recommend this car for someone looking for all the above qualities. It is a "compact Camry"...btw...My other car is a 2002 Camry XLE...

Love my Corolla XLE
By rev4 on 02/24/09 22:27 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car. I am extremely happy with this car. I think the "road feel" is just fine. Anyway, I think the car is top quality, nice exterior, wonderful interior, great gas mileage, pleasant to drive in all circumstances. I am very pleased with this purchase.

Should have taken a test drive...
By John byk on 01/27/09 18:35 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this corolla last december. This corolla has a wonderful paint finish. The exterior looks good without attracting too much attention. The interior looks quite high end. The seating position for the driver is comfortable. Gas mileage average for a fairly aggressive commuter driver is 32.5 mpg. What is disturbing about this car is the handling. This car does drift quite a bit in the wind. Body roll is also unsettling. The tires do hold the pavement, but the body roll makes fairly mild turns feel like I'm pushing the limit way too hard. Looking into suspension upgrades to help the handling scariness.

Not bad, but could be much better!
By Corolla Driver on 01/22/09 15:47 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

While the Corolla is a decent car, it does not stand out in any way and needs lot of improvement. Redesign the interior, move the clock to the radio area (add date/day of week); improve steering feel; illuminated controls for door locks & mirrors; 8 way power driver’s seat w/lumbar support; radio backlighting should be blue to match other controls; make the LCD bigger and higher resolution so it contains more info at a time (see Elantra). Every cheap gadget these days has high-res LCDs with a wealth of information! And get rid of the pixelated fonts; fog lamps on XLE. Heated outside mirrors standard on the XLE (Elantra offer them standard on all models); no intrusive hinges on trunk.

Not bad, but could be much better!
By Corolla Driver on 01/21/09 18:55 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It's a good car but does not stand out in any way. Redesign the interior, clock in the radio area (add date/day of week); Improve steering feel; Illuminated controls for power door locks & mirrors; 8 way power driver’s seat w/ lumbar support; Radio backlighting should be blue to match other controls; Make the LCD bigger & higher resolution so it contains more info at a time, not force to toggle the TEXT button. Every cheap gadget these days offers high-res LCDs with a wealth of info! & get rid of the pixelated fonts; Make available fog lights on XLE. Heated outside mirrors standard on the XLE (Elantra offer them standard on all models); No intrusive hinges on trunk.

Worth every penny!
By Rose on 11/12/08 10:09 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car last month after much contemplation. No matter how we put it this was the best choice for our money in this economy... & yes I used to drive a BMW 525i so it was not an easy decision for me. So far we are very happy with the performance of this car. Mileage is excellent, runs smooth, not so great on the luxury but the money we spent on BMW repairs, I rather go for an okay looking car that is cheaper to maintain and lasts much longer. The feel of steering is amazing like a luxury vehicle. Mileage is unbeatable. I am petite, my husband is 5'11" and we find the arm rest okay when it's slided front but could have been better.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla in NJ is:

$232 per month*