Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Good
By Jason Rodriguez

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

So far ok. The car makes a bad noise every time I turn it on. The oil consumption is also bad I have to constantly check the oil it run out before I have to do the change. I had to change the water pump and the alternator in this car. Plus Toyota had to cut the gas pedal it was getting stuck with the rug. In the other hand I have the car for 7 years it have 140,000 miles I have gone all over the US with my car and this are the only things that have happen.

Favorite Features

It takes little gas to fill up.

Highly dissapointed- will never buy Toyota again
By energy_1st

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2 months after warranty was over (oh yeah!), check engine light went on (P2727) with less than 50k miles. Ended up changing both the torque converter and solenoids as well as the sensor to get rid of the light... 10 miles later, the light went off again... They're telling me now that the computer has issues which has to be changed. I don't know whom to trust and what to do next. Will trade in my car for another car which won't be a Toyota for sure.... Yep, Toyota's legendary reliability is only good until you're covered under warranty... My advice to you if you decide buy a Toyota, add an extended warranty...

Favorite Features

Liked the look and feel. My first car after I graduated from college and loved the student rebate ($500 at the time).

Suggested Improvements

Your dealerships are disgusting especially the Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. Teach them to treat customers such that they feel they can trust them and bring the car there anytime they face an issue. I never felt I could trust Toyora dealership rather than being ripped off by them. I understand your business model (lower the purchase price, make up for the revenue on service fees) seriously???? people are not stupid. Your dealers are charging more than twice for the same service. I'd rather pay more for a better car....

I hate what you do for me Toyota.
By mcgovern1981

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Sort and sweet. 3 recalls unsure if my car was ever safe to drive. An interior that constantly squeaks. Finally the last straw at 68k I'm told I need a new transmission because I'm getting a clicking noise whenever I take my foot of the gas they say its a broken tooth on the pinion drive gear..... There's your legendary reliability. I wonder how much pro reviewers get paid to praise these cars.

2009 Toyota Corolla S
By 09corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second toyota corolla and i have alway loved toyota and could not see myself buying anything else. Well this car has changed that opinion and my next car will not be a toyota. This 2009 has had the whole A/C replaces, cam shaft gear, starter and the car still has problems starting. My corolla only had 56,000 miles. Total cost of repairs under warranty is over $9,000…. beware of the 2009 year.

Favorite Features

JBL sound system and they way the car looks.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota need to improve the build quality of the interior and also choose better suppliers for the parts of the car.

My 2nd 2009 Corolla
By dback2004

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second 2009 Corolla - first was an LE which was totaled in an accident. When I replaced it I bought another 2009, but this time in the S trim. I love it! It gets excellent gas milage, about 38 highway and is a sporty drive while small enough to easily maneuver the parking ramp at work. Plenty of creature comforts including aux jack, keyless entry, CD changer. It rides smooth and has a moderate amount of road noise.

Favorite Features

Upgraded seats in the S, automatic headlights, sleek body

Suggested Improvements

In the 2009 model, the clock is located in the instrument panel and must be toggled through between time, outside temp, and fuel economy. The clock was moved to the center dash in the 2010 edition.