Used 2008 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

You don't buy this car for fun/looks...
By patsrule5412

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for about 2 years now, and overall I think Toyota makes decent cars, but this car is kind of overhyped a bit. It gets great gas mileage and I love it for that, but the seating position is a bit awkward (you get used to it) and it feels like an economy car, nothing more. The looks...well, calling this car even remotely "sporty" does not work. The ride on the highway isn't too bad, but to me it's a little too loud, at least louder than I expected, and I can feel some vibration which can get on your nerves. Overall it's a decent car, and I don't mean to sound so negative about its looks, but hey, you buy it for reliability and mileage, I'm just not flat on the floor impressed.

MILEAGE, Toyota reliability

Love at first sight
By ssaechai

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove my car when it had only 3 miles. Right now, it is about 19000 on my odometer. I really love my car. I took it for 3-4 road trips and it was doing very well. Never had any problems. I paid only for regular maintenance. Good gas mileage. I get about 40 mpg in the city. I love the way the car handles and I really like the exterior of S model.

Good gas mileage. Quiet ride. Good handling. Resale value. Reliable. Good sound system. No problem with blind spots at all even though I am a small person.

Keep it like it is.

Corolla S
By superjohn123

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With 27k miles it's been flawless. I avg 30mpg city and up to 41mpg hwy. I have the JBL sound upgrade its nice. The VSC traction is really a must and I love that option. I like knowing I have the side air curtains. It handles great in the snow with the stock tires. Overall it's a good looking quiet riding car.

VSC, Jbl sound system. Great gas mileage. The resale is good too but I am keeping it.

Well they updated the car for 09 so whatever at this point. XM would be nice and radio controls on the wheel.

Excellent Economy Vehicle
By BZ

2008 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I currently have a 2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited and wanted an alternate vehicle in order to minimize the number of miles on the RAV, and also to commute with better MPG. I picked up the 2008 Corolla in the LE edition, with faux wood trim, multi-CD changer, rearview mirror interior lights et al. I have rented this vehicle on extended prior occasions. The 2008 automatic gets BETTER MPG than the 2010 auto, has a more logically-planned interior with more storage points, and seats with better lateral support. The interior is quiet, the ride comfortable, view excellent out all windows (as opposed to the 2010 Corolla with its high waist). For a "commuter appliance" you pretty much can't do better.

MPG; interior layout; quiet inside; fit and finish; good acceleration; excellent turning radius; very spacious trunk; supportive seats; excellent paint (car is burnt red); easily read gauges, dials, HVAC controls, radio controls; good headlight coverage at night.

Would very much like to have a foglight option on the LE, instead of having to step up to the S version. Also, would much prefer DRL (daytime running light) disable switch. Would like ABS & ESP standard on all models, period.

Best Corolla Yet...
By Doug

2008 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our 10th Toyota, 3rd Corolla. Reliability in 31000 miles: 0 problems. Economy with automatic: 27-30 mpg city, 36-42 hwy. Great seats for local or long distance. Steering position a little awkward on long drives-- telescoping wheel would be a plus. Popping noise some have mentioned in other reviews may be ABS self-test when you are starting forward from stop (owner's manual mentions this). Gripes? Upholstery poorly sewn (wrinkles from the git-go) on US-assembled model (never had this problem on Japan- assembled Toyotas). Roof- and rocker- panel trim strips came loose in normal driving. Power adequate, auto-shifting is smoother than my Subie, quiet on road, comfort, cost of ownership.

Reliability, MILEAGE, comfort, top value for the money. AFFORDABLE service (less than $50 for 30k service, vs. almost $600 for my Impreza!!!) Steel timing chain. Regular gas. Best options: ABS, curtain/side airbags.

Disappointing American workmanship! Do you hear us, Toyota management? That's why we started buying Japanese in the 70s. Don't blow your strong suit...competition is too strong for you to become indifferent to quality control issues. Minor gripe: too many markings on Optitron gauges--hard to read.