2008 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Bar None best car for your money
By texas toyota on 05/04/10 08:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Recently drove from Abilene, tx to Dallas and back. My corolla got 37.5 miles per gallon. And that's with the a/c on. Idling in drive through, my lead foot, and pulling over 10 times on the way there and back. Love how cheap the vehicle was. And it is perfect for my family.

Poor Corolla
By Lana on 03/29/10 13:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I bought this car, I knew it was going to be for utilitarian purposes only, school, work, errands. After all, that's all that this car is good for. After 2.5 years driving it after buying it brand new, I got bored with it and sick of hearing the engine strain to accelerate and pick up reasonable speed. The car drives well, seeps on gas slowly (I could drive 2 weeks without filling up), but it is not a fun car. Very dependable, never had an issue with it after 20,000 and going.

Corolla is number 1
By JP on 01/17/10 03:31 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 months now and think its a joy. Smooth ride, great gas mileage (averaging combination city and highway about 35) and awesome looks. I've heard the Camry is having a lot of quality control issues lately but the Corolla (at least this bodystyle) has been bulletproof. As for the engine...yes its a 1.8 4cylinder but I installed a k&N air filter and it greatly increased the power. I think the acceleration is fine and you almost forget you're in a 4. If you want anything faster, get a 3.5 V6 in the Camry! The 1.8 is a great combination of gas mileage and performance...for those that don't know its the same engine Toyota puts in the Celica GT (2000-2005).

So sick of the engine light coming on.
By De on 01/16/10 18:49 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am seriously thinking about trading this in for a Honda or VW. It gets good fuel economy but the ride is a bit rough and noisy. It turns well around corners. When driving at night low speed the lights dim at times with the engine. Seats are not to comfortable. There are plenty of drink holders and cubbys though. Maybe a flat enclosed nonslip area on top the middle console lid for a tray would be great. I am so sick of my engine light coming on though first time was the darn gas cap now its on again its driving me crazy I want another car! Tire lights a nice as it lets you know when they are low it would be nice to let me know which one though.

You don't buy this car for fun/looks...
By patsrule5412 on 12/18/09 22:28 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for about 2 years now, and overall I think Toyota makes decent cars, but this car is kind of overhyped a bit. It gets great gas mileage and I love it for that, but the seating position is a bit awkward (you get used to it) and it feels like an economy car, nothing more. The looks...well, calling this car even remotely "sporty" does not work. The ride on the highway isn't too bad, but to me it's a little too loud, at least louder than I expected, and I can feel some vibration which can get on your nerves. Overall it's a decent car, and I don't mean to sound so negative about its looks, but hey, you buy it for reliability and mileage, I'm just not flat on the floor impressed.

Love at first sight
By ssaechai on 11/17/09 13:40 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove my car when it had only 3 miles. Right now, it is about 19000 on my odometer. I really love my car. I took it for 3-4 road trips and it was doing very well. Never had any problems. I paid only for regular maintenance. Good gas mileage. I get about 40 mpg in the city. I love the way the car handles and I really like the exterior of S model.

Corolla S
By superjohn123 on 10/30/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

With 27k miles it's been flawless. I avg 30mpg city and up to 41mpg hwy. I have the JBL sound upgrade its nice. The VSC traction is really a must and I love that option. I like knowing I have the side air curtains. It handles great in the snow with the stock tires. Overall it's a good looking quiet riding car.

Excellent Economy Vehicle
By BZ on 10/23/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I currently have a 2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited and wanted an alternate vehicle in order to minimize the number of miles on the RAV, and also to commute with better MPG. I picked up the 2008 Corolla in the LE edition, with faux wood trim, multi-CD changer, rearview mirror interior lights et al. I have rented this vehicle on extended prior occasions. The 2008 automatic gets BETTER MPG than the 2010 auto, has a more logically-planned interior with more storage points, and seats with better lateral support. The interior is quiet, the ride comfortable, view excellent out all windows (as opposed to the 2010 Corolla with its high waist). For a "commuter appliance" you pretty much can't do better.

Best Corolla Yet...
By Doug on 10/04/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our 10th Toyota, 3rd Corolla. Reliability in 31000 miles: 0 problems. Economy with automatic: 27-30 mpg city, 36-42 hwy. Great seats for local or long distance. Steering position a little awkward on long drives-- telescoping wheel would be a plus. Popping noise some have mentioned in other reviews may be ABS self-test when you are starting forward from stop (owner's manual mentions this). Gripes? Upholstery poorly sewn (wrinkles from the git-go) on US-assembled model (never had this problem on Japan- assembled Toyotas). Roof- and rocker- panel trim strips came loose in normal driving. Power adequate, auto-shifting is smoother than my Subie, quiet on road, comfort, cost of ownership.

Best small car ever
By Henry on 08/15/09 11:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Just drove 440 miles to Rocklin, ca. from orange county ca. What fun, 34.0 to 36.4 MPG and handled great at 80 mph with new Michelin tires. I bought this 2008 used with 27600 miles and its like new. If you are thinking of a Corolla just drive one, I am 5'10" tall and fit perfect in it. You may pay a little more for this car but well worth the $$...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.