Used 2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

The best economical option out there
By rsucre

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first car was a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3.5L automatic. After driving it I fell in love with the Toyota brand. However, as a college student, owning a Camry got very expensive in regards to gasoline and maintenance. Therefore I decided to go with a more economic option and trade-in for a 2008 Corolla CE. I felt like it was the best decision possible. I needed a car that was both reliable and efficient with fuel, and the Corolla exceeds both of these requirements.

This car has several features that I admire about it. First, this car gets an incredible 40MPG highway and anywhere from 30-32MPG City. At the most, I have to fill up every 2 weeks. I can also drive about 410 miles on a single tank (a mere 13 gallons), which makes this car ideal for road trips. Another feature I like in this vehicle is the manual transmission. Personally I believe, it makes driving a more engaging and fun experience and you feel that you are actually driving the car. Last, I like the quality I get for the economic price. Since I have owned this car ( about 2 years) I have not had a single problem. My car is currently at 94k and I believe I will drive it to 300,000k miles.

Although I love my Corolla, there is always room for improvements. One feature I did not like was the stock speakers that came with the car. The first thing I did when I purchased this car was to replace the speakers. They sounded like crumbled paper, and when I replaced them I discovered that they were actually made of single layer cardboard paper. Another feature that I feel that could have been improved was the body style. The Corolla had the same body style from 2003-2008. Throughout that period, the corolla saw little changes. I feel that a change in the body style would have given it more appeal, such as an "adventure version." In all fairness, I got the CE version (basic).

Not Impressed
By nomoretoyota4

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car end of 2007. Car would just accelerate while I was driving it or putting the brake. Almost caused an accident; very scary. Had to take it in for the recall; check engine light went on; occasionally would not start. Had a leaky brake; mechanic stated it was flaw in manufacturing. Have approx. 53,000 miles on the vehicle and the exhaust pipe rusted through right before the muffler. Other issues include: hard to see out the back window due to backseat head rests, archaic design, ice freezes in the trunk cover in the winter; ends up in the trunk every time its opened. In other words, I did not care that the car was ugly, just wanted something reliable. I am NOT IMPRESSED.

PS. Why are there five stars on bad reviews?

I have no reason to complain
By mopart600

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 in November of 2007 brand new. Since then I have put 215000 miles on it. I have had it serviced at the dealership and kept up with all of the prescribed maintenance. Other than brakes, which are obviously a system designed to wear out, I have only had to replace one wheel bearing at 190000 miles. Other than that its just gas and oil. This car has been fantastic to me and since it is still in such good shape I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall of...which may be a while at this rate.

The sun roof. The handling despite the lack of real power pulling the car. The reliability.

More power! I know its difficult to balance functionality with reliability and efficiency but I know that would be something I would upgrade for!

ABS ISSUE
By tenabell

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 corolla's ABS have now caused me to be in 2 wrecks..they lock up completely and my car just slides.If the roads even a little wet its worse..I was told most likely a faulty sensor?? Anyone else with ABS issues?

Perfect commuter car
By lonniegray

2008 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an economy car, a little higher priced for that purpose but you get what you pay for. What I was willing to pay for was dependability, good gas mileage and easy to drive. What I got was exactly that. I bought this car new in 2008 and have driven it 120,000 miles and it has NEVER been in the shop except for oil changes, new brake pads and tires. It has been very dependable and worth every dollar I paid for it. It isnt a sexy car, or the best handling or very powerful but it does get around 33 miles per gallon, nice trunk space and decent interior space for its size. Overall, this car is perfect for what it is intended to be, highly recommend it to anyone.

gas milage, dependability

reduce road noise, better handling