Used 2008 Toyota Corolla CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

The best economical option out there
By rsucre

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first car was a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3.5L automatic. After driving it I fell in love with the Toyota brand. However, as a college student, owning a Camry got very expensive in regards to gasoline and maintenance. Therefore I decided to go with a more economic option and trade-in for a 2008 Corolla CE. I felt like it was the best decision possible. I needed a car that was both reliable and efficient with fuel, and the Corolla exceeds both of these requirements.

Favorite Features

This car has several features that I admire about it. First, this car gets an incredible 40MPG highway and anywhere from 30-32MPG City. At the most, I have to fill up every 2 weeks. I can also drive about 410 miles on a single tank (a mere 13 gallons), which makes this car ideal for road trips. Another feature I like in this vehicle is the manual transmission. Personally I believe, it makes driving a more engaging and fun experience and you feel that you are actually driving the car. Last, I like the quality I get for the economic price. Since I have owned this car ( about 2 years) I have not had a single problem. My car is currently at 94k and I believe I will drive it to 300,000k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Although I love my Corolla, there is always room for improvements. One feature I did not like was the stock speakers that came with the car. The first thing I did when I purchased this car was to replace the speakers. They sounded like crumbled paper, and when I replaced them I discovered that they were actually made of single layer cardboard paper. Another feature that I feel that could have been improved was the body style. The Corolla had the same body style from 2003-2008. Throughout that period, the corolla saw little changes. I feel that a change in the body style would have given it more appeal, such as an "adventure version." In all fairness, I got the CE version (basic).

First Foriegn Automobile
By David Loper

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was of the opinion that I would never buy another American automobile again, because of repairs, when I purchased my 2008 Toyota Corolla. The Corolla has changed my mind back to buying American. The Corolla gives a rough ride and, within 24,000 miles, has given me several problems. The problems are: poor handling in the ice and snow, loose steering, front brake assembly recall, constant rear brake adjustments, wipers that don't cycle properly, power windows that cycle properly, tires that need constant filling, squeaky frame when under load, and loose gasoline filler tube.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and fast acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Correct problems in review section.

Great Commuting Car
By Cat22

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Toyota I have ever owned and I am very satisfied with the Corolla. I commute 110 miles each day (mostly highways) and I have gotten as high as 41 mpg. My average mileage ranges between 37 to 39 mpg. Who needs an expensive hybrid with this kind of mileage. The engine is willing and fairly quick from a stop light. The five speed is fun and the ratios are well spaced. The a/c works great and there is plenty or room for passengers and parcels. Although the handling is not quite as sporty as my old Mazda Protege, it is a much quieter and smoother ride. Overall, very impressed with the Corolla. Is it perfect, no. Is it a great commuter, yes-especially at the pumps.

Favorite Features

Mileage, build quality & design, willing & smooth engine, quiet ride and cabin. Love outside thermometer & gauges.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 input for radio, better height adjustment mechanism for driver's seat.

Good MPG for the long trips to the city
By Jack

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in 2/08 in Tempe AZ and save about $3K instead of buying it in ABQ, NM. I'm getting about 38.5 to 41 MPG a week. Car is great on gas and has low engine noise. AC works great and came with most of the options of the LE (i.e., cruise control, tire pressure sensor, power locks and Windows variable speed windshield wipers etc). Good suspension and no interior problems. Seats fold down and tons of trunk space. It been a good little car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Trunk space. 5K engine oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

Car does needs a better horn and I would like to see a better front seat with more comfort. More DC outlets - maybe one in the trunk. 2009 comes with less gas performance than the 2008 but has a bigger engine and is a better looking ride.

2008 Toyota Corolla CE
By MikeAZ

2008 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

35 MPG, head/legroom similar to my Altima and the feel of driving a Camry. Comfortable enough for my family of four on long rides and enough trunk space to fit everything. We've owned small sedans and the kids were just too cramped. Now, they like riding in the "small car" because it feels more spacious. It's also incredibly quiet, which makes up for a rather plain stereo in the CE. Lots of cupholders and storage spaces - more than I know what to do with. I also like that the clock is separate from the stereo, so I don't have to choose between telling time and finding a radio station.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard features in base model: AC, CD, power locks and windows, cruise control, and lots of storage internally. The 35 mpg is the best feature but it's also remarkably comfortable for such a "small car". It drives like something that will last.

Suggested Improvements

The standard stereo is really poor. The rear cupholders don't really hold too much and the manual door locks are a little awkward. You can't really tell which direction you're supposed to turn the key to get all the doors to unlock.