Good value for an inexpensive car.
By rrtxcorolla on
2007 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
I bought my Corolla S brand new in '07. It is 04-2011 now. I put 99.7% of the 65,000 miles on it myself. I have only done routine maintenance to date. Brakes and tires at 59,995 miles, Synth Oil changes every 7,500 miles, engine air filters every 15,000 miles, and cab filters every 30,000 miles. I'm planning on replacing belts and plugs at 75,000. It delivers 28 mpg in the city, and 38-42 on the highway depending on how fast I drive. I have had NO problems. None. This isn't a luxury car. It isn't a sports car. It isn't a tiny car. What it is, is a good, dependable small-car with a low cost of operation Everything works like it did when I drove it off the lot brand new.
Favorite Features
It isn't a feature ridden car. Sure it has amenities like PS, PB, IWW, A/C, PW, PDL & Automatic lights. Those are more std. features these days. Nothing to brag on, but it is "nice" and well laid out. Comfortable? eh,... Well it's not UNcomfortable.... I didn't buy it for a plethera of features. I bought it because gas had spiked to $3.00 a gallon and I saw the writing on the wall that driving was going to become a "larger than I wanted" line item on the monthly bill spreadsheet. This car just works as promised and does it with minimal expense. Typical Toyota reliability and quality. Looking for a + 250,000 mile relationship with this car. I think I will get it.
Suggested Improvements
Interior road-associated noise is higher than I want it to be. I can fix that, but it is a hassel to add the sound deadening material required to do that. It is only a real issue on textured road surfaces and road chip tarmac. (maybe 20% of the roads I drive?) I may get around to that by 100K miles. Driving on that 20% is uncomfortably loud at times. Steering wheel mounted controls would be nice. Bluetooth too. Paddle shifters? maybe. I don't know, the rest of it seems to be fine for the class of car it is competing in.
By txiong71
on 11/28/11 19:16 PM (PST)

@ rrtxcorolla, I'm in MN and I had also purchase my corolla in 07. No problems at all at 78k miles. Hadn't replace tires, belts or brakes yet. I checked them out prior to Fall and they were all looking good. Well, tires needs to come off so that I can put my winter tires on, but that is all.

By rrtxcorolla
on 08/22/11 10:11 AM (PDT)

08-22-11 update. 71k on the odometer now. Had my first "real" repair or part "failure" with the car. The relay controlling the A/C clutch has begun to act up and switch off the compressor causing the A/C to blow HOT non airconditioned air in sporadic fashion. NOT a good thing in Texas in August! My local trusted mechanic said it is typically this part that fails, if/when the A/C has a problem. So there you go. Made it 71k miles trouble free. $150.00 parts and labor. Can't honestly say it has been trouble free anymore, can I?