Used 2006 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Safety issues
By review101

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Good mileage, some noise, average maintenance costs; you've heard it before but rarely are there reviews on how it stands up to impacts. Bought it new. Only issue was the check engine light that was part of recall. Dealer fixed it for free, it was good for a week then light came back on. I had about 96k when I was rear ended by 02 Toyota Camry on freeway. I was stopped when he hit me at approx 40mph. Vehicle buckled out instead of in. Exterior damage seemed minimal, but once we looked at the frame from below, it was totally bent. I was told metal went up through floor of rear seats. Good thing I only had groceries in back seat instead of my kids. Fluke? Who knows. Had to post

Loved the sunroof. LE came with 6 CD changer and nice wood paneling.

Verify airbag safety. Hard impact and airbags didn't deploy for me or the other vehicle.

My Second Corolla also did not dissapoint
By intensor101

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's fun to drive and it's reliable. I had bought an '02 as my first vehicle brand new, and it did not disappoint on gas mileage and reliability, although I had chosen the CE version cause being so young that's all I could qualify for. The '06 is responsive, corners well, and the transmission is smooth enough for its class. The black paint job is beautiful and waxes well. I love the spoiler, and the trunk space is roomy enough for a lot of stuff if you pack it right.

I love the paint job that shines well with good wax. I recommend turtle wax ice. Road noise is exceptionally minimal, and the transmission is smooth. Love the spoiler. It gives it that sporty look with the S versions side body moldings. The trunk space is more than enough if you pack your things up just right.

The stereo was not that great, although it still had a good level of bass to it. The seats are not as comfortable for long road trips for a car that gets such good gas mileage. Most people would use a car like this for long trips as well, and Toyota should work on making the vehicle more comfortable for the long haul. The controls were a bit off and far reaching from a good driving position. I'm 5' 11", and from where my seat was, I have to reach out too far during driving to adjust some controls. The factory tires were replaced at 35k. The brakes were replaced around 80k, and the rotors at 90k. Had a computer chip problem that required replacement at the dealership.

Buy it
By charleym3

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got the base model, no electric anything. Only added option was cruise control. After 115K miles, the only thing that has gone wrong is the CC switch for 80$. Tires don't last as long as I would like. I do all of the required maintenance and it keeps going and going. I'm getting better mileage than EPA extimates, 37-38 in city driving.

Mileage, 40+ on the highway.

None.

The average car
By Scheets

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used a few years ago with 50,000 or so miles on it. I now have around 105,000 miles. So far it has been pretty reliable. We have not had any major problems so far. The engine still runs well, the transmission shifts smoothly in all temps and weather conditions. The audio system isn't great, but acceptable. The interior has a decent amount of space for a small car, and the trunk is pretty big. Road noise is average, but I always have music playing. Heat and A/C still work great. It has a very awkward steering wheel position and the handling is not very good. The gas is very touchy.

Great gas mileage. Reliable.

Steering wheel position. I don't know why, but I do get uncomfortable after a drive of longer than an hour.

What Else Could Happen?
By Jayris

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so before I fell out of love with this car, I loved it. No problems came along. Nothing what so ever. Now its a different story. Since the beginning of last year, I've numerous problems out "Toyota's best selling car". First was my drive belt or serpentine belt, whatever that is. Then my transmission started acting weird, so I had the fluids changed and still the same problem. Now its the brakes. My rotors are in bad condition with extremely heavy pulsation and shaking when braking. I've had service done about three times for the same problem and it still continues. Now there's a recall out. What else could go wrong!? Sometimes I wish that I'd never purchased this car.

Pretty much nothing.