Used 2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Love my 'Yota!!
By Sandy Snide

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Corolla CE new in 07/2006. 134,000+ miles on it and engine and AT still great! Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace a wheel bearing, brake caliper, shoes and pads, and front rotors. Of course, here in Maine we have lots of frost heaves and potholes to break for so I guess that explains it. My baby goes great in snow with all season radials and I've never gotten stuck anywhere except in my yard when we had 6 inches of crust. Love the roomy trunk! Recently, the clock works only intermittently and is driving me nuts, but I guess I can deal with that. I was nearly T-boned by a Jeep one day but floored it and got almost out of his way. He hit me on the back of the rear passenger side fender/bumper. I was surprised to see that the only damage to my car was a small piece broken out of the bumper. Gas mileage is great! Tires seem to wear fast even with regular rotation, but that may just be the tires. I honestly expect I'll get well over 300,000 miles out of this car, which I purchased for Toyota's reliability and longevity. I do wish the paint was better though - it chips very easily. All in all, it's a great car and I would recommend this car to anyone!

I will never buy another Toyota
By neveragaintoyo

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new after 2004 Toyota Corolla S had manual transmission failure. This car then had manual transmission failure under warranty. Then the ECM was recalled, failed and was replaced. Then the transmission failed again and out $3500.Then the ECM failed after one year so no warranty and out $700. Will never buy another Toyota again.

I loved how it would just randomly stop in intersections due to the bad ECM while my teenage daughter was driving. Then I really loved how it would fail NYS inspections due to check engine light on for bad charcoal canister. My favorite part was the ECM failing after being replaced under the recall but out of the one year warranty so now it is $700 to replace. Go Toyota!

Stand behind your products and replace a bad ECM if you put a bad one in. Try to build a manual transmission that doesn't fail. Build a car that runs.

No Regrets
By ronfromla

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, a 2006 in 2011 with 38,470 miles. The dealer had put some junk tires on it, so I immediately replaced them with Goodyear Eagles. I have had no problems with car, None. Zip. Nada. I use Mobil1 and Mobil1 filter and go 75000 miles between changes, and bought a battery also, even though it was not giving me trouble it was original, 5 years old so I pre-emptive avoided any problems. Starts first time, every time, on just a couple turns of cranking, even in 0°F. I overpaid a bit, but oh well, still no regrets. Absolutely no peers ij reliability, and I disagree about 'not fun to drive'. One time on a long trip I got 41mpg. Perfect blend of power and economy.

Decent audio system and ABS, torsion bar rear suspension

Put a trunk open button on remote fob

Can't Complain
By lfas

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This Corolla was a replacement for 2004 Civic which I felt was underpowered and delicate. Purchased pre owned with 75k three years ago, now have approximately 94k.

1.8L 1zz-fe engine has a timing chain Relatively spirited acceleration and passing power for daily city and surrounding suburban driving Strong build quality, a tough durable car Quality interior materials and fit and finish

Faulty ECM replacement, apparently this is a known fault, had replaced under extended warranty LED dash clock display fades and dims intermittently Tall body design makes for high center of gravity and reduces handling capabilities Some vibration during cold idle which might be from faulty motor mounts

Bought on Reputation alone
By ruffy25

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Before I went car shopping, I did extensive research on several Makes and Models. It's a lot of money to spend impulsively after all. I decided on Toyota after test driving a Ford Fiesta, Honda Accord, even a MINI Cooper. I found a 2006 Corolla with only 47,500 miles and bought it, based on reputation of reliability/dependability and Toyota earned it. It was a bit pricey, but holds value very well. Decent acceleration for a 1.8Liter, and economy is superb, especially with my driving habits. I enjoy seeing how much I can squeeze out of a tank, and have gotten as much a 44mpg. yes, 44..but I did have a strong tail-wind and no grade for nearly 100 miles on a lonely S. Calif desert road.

Economy, reliability, cabin noise non-existent (no wind whistles even in an 8 year old car. Styling and 4 door has plenty of room inside---more than you would thing looking at it from outside.

Better hinge on console lid, have broken 2 and not from abuse. Other than that, cabin materials superior compared to other cars in class.