Used 2006 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
Toyota Corolla
By Sean

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The perfect blend of performance and fuel economy. Enough power to handle on-ramps on highways, while not breaking your budget. I bought it 6-8 months ago, and have not had any problems since. It is an economy car, so do not expect it to have perfect interior quality or to keep up with sports cars.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, speakers; the accceleration and handling exceeded my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

The engine makes an annoying sqeaking noise when in idle. Not enough headroom or legroom for drivers over 6'. Awqward seating position. To compensate for the weak engine and provide for adequate acceleration, the car is very light and therefore will get blown around like a kite in the wind.

Not worth the trouble
By Janet

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Less than a year and 9000 km after I purchased my 2006 Corolla, my steering pump is broken and it is undriveable. The dealership says the part won't arrive for another month. It's Toyota's policy not to provide a rental car or any transportation for that matter until after 10 days that the part is on backorder. I am stuck without a car for 10 days. There was also another 06 Corolla in for the same problem. I was happy with my 1994 Corolla and not happy with my 2006. Toyota made no effort to salvage our relationship. Saturn and GM both say they provide transportation the same day if they expect a part not to arrive for a month.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release button on keychain remote. Improve customer relations.

Reliable but boring
By costeld

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I started driving my 06 Corolla about 1.5 yrs ago. It had 135K on it when I started (belongs to a company I work for) and now has over 200K. I drive everywhere from the highway at around 80 mph to long, windy, bumpy country driveways where I have to carefully pick a route around boulders, dips, bumps and puddles to avoid high centering. I drive the car like a New York city cab in town (time is a crucial part of job) and I often drive 50-60 mph on gravel roads. Car has held up extremely well! When I get home from a 400 mile during spring break up I am surprised the car held together. When i leave the next morning the car is unphased by the day before. Very robust car!

Favorite Features

Reliability, ease of entry/exit, quite at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

No personality. "An appliance on wheels". Looks dated (body style was released March of 2002). Plain interior. Front bumper cover flimsy and does not withstand slight impact (I cracked the lower portion below license plate going over rough snow in a driveway). Mine goes through front pads and rotors about every 30K (might be due to driving habits). Drifts and vibrates severely over washboard especially under load i.e. going up hills. Puny tire size (185): potholes seem severe when compared to a vehicle equipped with 235 or 245. Rims bend easily when inadvertantly hitting submerged pothole on unfamiliar roads. No standard ABS! What? Fan kicks on frequently and repeatedly when at idle.

Will NEVER buy again
By Horrible Car

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were overseas on military orders and ran into problems while under extended warranty at only 30,000 miles. Fought with Toyota for 6 months and received no help until MANUAL transmission stalled on the highway!! UNACCEPTABLE. Laundry list of repairs every time we go in. If you ever have problems with this car and expect good service FORGET IT!! Constantly was accused of not really having the extended warranty and was even charged for warranty work more than once and had to dispute. We are trading it in NEVER to buy a Toyota again.

Boring but nice
By mmmodem

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When you buy a Corolla, you know you're not getting a sporty chick magnet kind of vehicle. You're getting a safe reliable car that will get you from point A to point B in comfort. And the Corolla does that just fine. The engine is extremely loud at low speeds. Brakes are not that great but acceptable. Handling is subpar. But the engine does calm down a lot at cruising speeds and the car becomes luxury like quiet. Bumps and rattles are nonexistent, it's a very smooth ride. There's lots of headroom due to the car being so tall. It's taller than a Camry. The intrument panel illumination is a very clear and bright white but it doesn't match the green from the stereo and HVAC controls.

Favorite Features

Outside temperature gauge, smooth and quiet ride. Very little wind noise at highway speeds. Fantastic fuel economy. Huge trunk. Great audio system.

Suggested Improvements

I don't understand why airbags are standard but ABS is not. ABS would stop you from needing the airbags in the first place. If they're not standard at least make them an available option. Sure ABS is available but Toyota forces you buy a fully loaded car to get it.