Used 2006 Toyota Corolla S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

My Second Corolla also did not dissapoint
By intensor101

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's fun to drive and it's reliable. I had bought an '02 as my first vehicle brand new, and it did not disappoint on gas mileage and reliability, although I had chosen the CE version cause being so young that's all I could qualify for. The '06 is responsive, corners well, and the transmission is smooth enough for its class. The black paint job is beautiful and waxes well. I love the spoiler, and the trunk space is roomy enough for a lot of stuff if you pack it right.

Favorite Features

I love the paint job that shines well with good wax. I recommend turtle wax ice. Road noise is exceptionally minimal, and the transmission is smooth. Love the spoiler. It gives it that sporty look with the S versions side body moldings. The trunk space is more than enough if you pack your things up just right.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo was not that great, although it still had a good level of bass to it. The seats are not as comfortable for long road trips for a car that gets such good gas mileage. Most people would use a car like this for long trips as well, and Toyota should work on making the vehicle more comfortable for the long haul. The controls were a bit off and far reaching from a good driving position. I'm 5' 11", and from where my seat was, I have to reach out too far during driving to adjust some controls. The factory tires were replaced at 35k. The brakes were replaced around 80k, and the rotors at 90k. Had a computer chip problem that required replacement at the dealership.

Great mileage and reliability
By happy2own

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The S model is a fun car to drive with great mileage on long trips (up to 41). It gets better mileage than my old 96 with more power. The 5 speed transmission is not the smoothest shifter I've owned but it makes the car seem more powerful. The exterior looks sporty with the body kit, spoiler, and fog lights. The interior has nice build quality and the trunk size is more than proficient. No mechanical problems at all. I've never been to the shop since I change my own oil. I would definitely recommend.

Favorite Features

Looks nice, great mileage (up to 41 MPG), sunroof, trunk space, interior fit and finish, low maintenance costs including cheaper tires. Good acceleration with Manual Transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Annoying beeping seat belt indicator (Shut up already!), back seats do not fold completely flat, no trunk opener on keyfob. Grinding shifting sometimes if clutch not completely pushed to floor. Better fit for shorter drivers.

Will NEVER buy again
By Horrible Car

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were overseas on military orders and ran into problems while under extended warranty at only 30,000 miles. Fought with Toyota for 6 months and received no help until MANUAL transmission stalled on the highway!! UNACCEPTABLE. Laundry list of repairs every time we go in. If you ever have problems with this car and expect good service FORGET IT!! Constantly was accused of not really having the extended warranty and was even charged for warranty work more than once and had to dispute. We are trading it in NEVER to buy a Toyota again.

06 Toyota Corolla 5M
By Corolla S

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car a little over two years and average 38 MPG, I am very easy on it however. I drove an automatic and they are pathetic, however, the manual can move descent. It is not "fun" to drive, however, it does its job-reliable, good mpg. I am now debating to keep this a long time, or trade it in for something like a Lancer soon.

Favorite Features

MPG, that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is very cheap, rattles, driver left side arm rest falling apart.

40 MPG and Fun to Drive!
By Sparky1954

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car close to 30 months now and it has been great. The smaller engine is offset by the 5-spd manual and decent handling for the price. Not a single problem yet. But to top it off the mileage is great! We just completed a round trip between San Jose, CA to Vancouver, WA and put over 1500 miles on the car. I tracked the mileage very close and we got 40.2 mpg for the whole trip! Now I need to say we don't speed but drive the posted speed limit (55, 65, 70). We used A/C for a 85% and this total included climbing hill, mountains and around town drives. So obey the posted limits, set the cruise control and enjoy the money you save!

Favorite Features

Great mileage! Fun to drive with manual trans. Easy to park and handles well!

Suggested Improvements

A bit more padding for the seats but we drove 11 hour stretches and it wasn't too uncomfortable. A little bigger gas tank would make that great mileage even more enjoyable!