Used 2006 Toyota Corolla XRS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

06rollaxrs
By 06rollaxrs

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely love this car, it is pretty surprising how quick this car is! Also loving the gas mileage! Handles amazing. I'd line it up against a stock Civic si vtec, or a stock mustang gt, at anytime! Already beat both! All I can say is wow!

Favorite Features

6 spd manual trans, vvtl-i engine, 6 disc in dash cd player. and the overall look of the car itself

Suggested Improvements

I really have no complaints as of now. I would love it if it had leather interior. That's about it.

Over 3 years and I'm still giddy
By Zippy

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I test drove the Civic and the Corolla, and the Corolla was faster, tighter and got better mileage. I still wanted something quicker and tried the XRS. It was WELL worth the extra money. I LOVE driving this car! That said, the power curve is not at all smooth and I've adjusted how I drive to compensate. You almost have to plan ahead. I put a graphite gear shifter knob on it which really improved my ability to "feel" the gears and shift with accuracy. The car pushes a little around corners, but I guess that's safer than the alternative. I didn't know it only took premium until after two tanks of regular. I don't like paying more for gas, but it's still worth it.

Favorite Features

Exciting power jump at 7K RPM, decent cornering, 6 disk CD changer, sport seats with side supports, 4 doors, remote power locks.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the power band. It's very peaky and it waits too long to kick in so there is a totally stupid power gap between 65 and 75 MPH - right were I want it most. So you wind up passing in 2nd gear on the freeway!!! What I wouldn't do for an aftermarket ECU.

2006 XRS
By whatduhbabeh

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great car, I love the gas mileage even though it only takes premium. I average about 31 no matter how I drive. It seems very reliable; I had nonstop problems with my VW GTI before this car. The interior looks great at night. It is a lot of fun to drive. I can't get enough of driving around town even with the ridiculous gas prices. I feel like this car got me hooked on Toyotas. I will likely get another Toyota as my next car whenever that may be. I did a lot of research before I bought this car and I am very happy with my decision.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is when the car "hits lift" as most people like to say, after about 6,000 RPM. The car just seems to kick it into high gear. I guess the best way to describe it would be almost like having a turbo, but not quite as much boost.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked to have seen the car a little lower because it still sits pretty high. Other than that I love the car.

06 XRS
By Tony M.

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Overall the XRS is a great car. It looks and feels sporty. You get great gas mileage combined with performance and looks. The car has great acceleration and handles well on turns. It has a sleeper look so some people may confuse it for an "S" or regular corolla. They'll be surprised. You'll hit 80 mph on the freeway without a sweat. The car is simply a lot of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Quick acceleration with close ratio 6 speed transmission and instant power surge above 7000 rpm if you really need it! Feels like a small shot of nitrous. The extra kick just makes it even more fun especially with a cold air intake! It gets you around town well enough with out it.

Suggested Improvements

More engine and suspension aftermarket parts. Suspension is a bit stiff and seats as well. Seat can be a bit uncomfortable after long drives. Lower VVTI or "vtec" point. Get rid of beeping sound for reverse. Replace with a light on the dash or something.

Corolla XRS
By J. Kinsley

2006 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Thank you Toyota for a poor person's porsche. This is a great car... takes corners at interesting speeds with no sway and keeps the revs up between shifts due to the close ratio gears. Yes, it is fun fun fun to drive. But, is well behaved, and uses much less gas, at low revs and higher gears.Yes, it is practical as well. (If you choose.) For a 1.8 liter engine, the engineers have managed to elicit a spunky engine with some surprises at the higher revs. At 6000 RPM do not be close to the car ahead of you.

Favorite Features

The engine is pure music, no radio needed. The suspension enables the car to feel as if it is running on rails and the instruments in the dash open their eyes when the motor is turn on.

Suggested Improvements

Tires... tires. Michelin Pilots are fine for the summer but there are few choices for winter and fewer all season tires that fit the wheels.