Used 2006 Toyota Corolla S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

I will never buy another Toyota
By neveragaintoyo

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new after 2004 Toyota Corolla S had manual transmission failure. This car then had manual transmission failure under warranty. Then the ECM was recalled, failed and was replaced. Then the transmission failed again and out $3500.Then the ECM failed after one year so no warranty and out $700. Will never buy another Toyota again.

I loved how it would just randomly stop in intersections due to the bad ECM while my teenage daughter was driving. Then I really loved how it would fail NYS inspections due to check engine light on for bad charcoal canister. My favorite part was the ECM failing after being replaced under the recall but out of the one year warranty so now it is $700 to replace. Go Toyota!

Stand behind your products and replace a bad ECM if you put a bad one in. Try to build a manual transmission that doesn't fail. Build a car that runs.

My Second Corolla also did not dissapoint
By intensor101

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's fun to drive and it's reliable. I had bought an '02 as my first vehicle brand new, and it did not disappoint on gas mileage and reliability, although I had chosen the CE version cause being so young that's all I could qualify for. The '06 is responsive, corners well, and the transmission is smooth enough for its class. The black paint job is beautiful and waxes well. I love the spoiler, and the trunk space is roomy enough for a lot of stuff if you pack it right.

I love the paint job that shines well with good wax. I recommend turtle wax ice. Road noise is exceptionally minimal, and the transmission is smooth. Love the spoiler. It gives it that sporty look with the S versions side body moldings. The trunk space is more than enough if you pack your things up just right.

The stereo was not that great, although it still had a good level of bass to it. The seats are not as comfortable for long road trips for a car that gets such good gas mileage. Most people would use a car like this for long trips as well, and Toyota should work on making the vehicle more comfortable for the long haul. The controls were a bit off and far reaching from a good driving position. I'm 5' 11", and from where my seat was, I have to reach out too far during driving to adjust some controls. The factory tires were replaced at 35k. The brakes were replaced around 80k, and the rotors at 90k. Had a computer chip problem that required replacement at the dealership.

Great mileage and reliability
By happy2own

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The S model is a fun car to drive with great mileage on long trips (up to 41). It gets better mileage than my old 96 with more power. The 5 speed transmission is not the smoothest shifter I've owned but it makes the car seem more powerful. The exterior looks sporty with the body kit, spoiler, and fog lights. The interior has nice build quality and the trunk size is more than proficient. No mechanical problems at all. I've never been to the shop since I change my own oil. I would definitely recommend.

Looks nice, great mileage (up to 41 MPG), sunroof, trunk space, interior fit and finish, low maintenance costs including cheaper tires. Good acceleration with Manual Transmission.

Annoying beeping seat belt indicator (Shut up already!), back seats do not fold completely flat, no trunk opener on keyfob. Grinding shifting sometimes if clutch not completely pushed to floor. Better fit for shorter drivers.

Will NEVER buy again
By Horrible Car

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were overseas on military orders and ran into problems while under extended warranty at only 30,000 miles. Fought with Toyota for 6 months and received no help until MANUAL transmission stalled on the highway!! UNACCEPTABLE. Laundry list of repairs every time we go in. If you ever have problems with this car and expect good service FORGET IT!! Constantly was accused of not really having the extended warranty and was even charged for warranty work more than once and had to dispute. We are trading it in NEVER to buy a Toyota again.

06 Toyota Corolla 5M
By Corolla S

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car a little over two years and average 38 MPG, I am very easy on it however. I drove an automatic and they are pathetic, however, the manual can move descent. It is not "fun" to drive, however, it does its job-reliable, good mpg. I am now debating to keep this a long time, or trade it in for something like a Lancer soon.

MPG, that's about it.

The interior is very cheap, rattles, driver left side arm rest falling apart.