Piratical A-to-B car
By praticalowner on
2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
Understand this review is based 100% on the amount of money I paid for it in comparison to others cars at the time. Havening owned the Toyota Corolla LE Automatic for a little over 6 years now Iím glad I bought it. This car is exactly what you would expect for about the 15.5k or so I got mine brand new. Iím 5í11Ē barefoot, 220lb and I can make peace with the seating and steering orientation. The only negative thing about it is the fact thatís itís a little under powered for my tastes, but then again I have a 530 HP(give or take) truck I play in. Also a lot of people say that it makes a lot of road noise. Let me ask you a question, how often have you heard a 2800 lb or so car not make road noise??? I also have a 97 Continental that is just as every bit noisy when you put in on the firm ride setting. And the engine in a 4 banger, this one and about every other Iíve driven does too. The fact on gas milage are this, the thing get about 95% of the rated 34/MPG highway (thatís about 32/MPG) that the EPA says it should. And yes 34/MPG is the correct MPG for this model, the 06 is the one with the 40 or whatever mpg. I know because I saw it on the chemical back in February 05!!! Not to mention the fact if you multiply the 13.2 gallon tank buy 34 you get about 450 miles. I averaged about 390~420 miles to a tank on the highway so thatís all the confirmation I ever needed. I will admit the city mileage took a pretty steep nose dive to around the 25-27/MPG mark. It seemed to fluctuate from 290/tank to 320/tank. Then again the way Iím used to driving my truck that probably has a lot to do with it LOL!!! IT does not get stuck easy with good all terrain tires (trust me Iíve got it stuck doing dumb stuff in it). The paint job is a little iffy on the lower parts of the unibody, but overall itís very smooth and even with the clear coat. The fold-down seats, donít fold all the way down per say, but it makes plenty of room for an 8í Christmas tree or a few 10 foot fly rods. If you really REALLy want to decide for yourself if this is a car worth buying, see if you can work a deal out somehow to drive one around for a weekend. I test drove several cars several times before I chose this one, it was the right price for what I was getting. I did not buy this car because ďit was the car for meĒ I bought it as a practical, reliable to way get to around and not completely bite it at the pump. I mean why do you think I got in in automatic???
Favorite Features
The sound system, I was really impressed with the sound system this thing has. I believe they are JBL??? I never really found out but they sound a lot like my Northbridge series from JBL. Very fast warm up, Iíve driven cars that you had to get out and drive for 10 minutes before the heat would be worth anything. In mid 20 degree F weather, this thing takes every bit of 6~7 min, idling, with the air blasting on recirculate to warm the car up on the inside. Basically in the time it takes you to microwave a hot pocket and make coffee itís ready to go. Very solid, responsive handling. To some people this means ďstiffĒ and is a bad thing. When youíre trying to do doughnuts with front wheel drive and a parking break you canít beat it haha! Or on a more series mater, if you try to miss an object you are less likely to over correct. This has happened several times to me and the ridged handling comes in pretty handy on knee jerk reactions.
Suggested Improvements
WellÖ since they donít make a 2005 in 2011 I would have to say none??? But I really donít think they could have done much better without increasing the cost.