Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best compact car for the money
By dhp

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the automatic CE model new in late 2004. 4 yrs and 131,000 miles later it has exceeded all expectations. For its size it has the most trunk space, interior room, gas mileage (always more than 33 and as high as 42.5), pickup, and best overall handling. Comfort is so-so but I'm 6'1" and my head doesn't touch the headliner. Some wind noise at highway speeds but far quieter than previous car ever was (1997 Saturn SC1). A/C works superb even on a 105 degree day. This car has never stranded me and aside from tires at 40K and 100K, brakes/plugs at 60K and 125K, and O2 sensor at 34K no mechanical failures or parts whatsoever! Toyota built this one right!

Doors automatically unlock upon ignition off. User-friendly controls, tachometer and A/C standard. Accelerates well for a 1.8L automatic. Handles sudden stops quite well.

I wanted the manual trans but to get any options (pw, pl, cruise, tilt) Toyota makes them all automatic unless I ordered an XRS for $6K more. Toyota should not cluster so many options into their highest trim level. Leather seating option for the S and/or XRS would also be nice.

Reliability combined with great economy
By Buhler

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 years ago, now at 144000 miles - I have a long commute. The car is by far the best car I have owned, hands down. I have the 5-speed manual transmission, and get great handling and performance. I get anywhere between 40 and 42 mpg since I am mostly driving freeway. On my third set of tires, other than that, no defects or repairs needed - still on factory brakes and clutch. Change oil and rotate tires religiously. I did not buy any options with the car and find the LE basic model quite complete and comfortable.

Gas mileage, highly reliable, 6 CD changer comes handy on long trips

Next Corolla should have side airbags standard.

Love my Corolla S
By Dobart

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I looked for the vehicle for over 6 months and ended up at a dealership in used cars. First thing I noticed when I had them put the car up on the lift for inspection was a few drips of oil under the oil pan. The sales person assured me it was from the recent oil change. I kept an eye on it for a few weeks and it continued. Took the car to a nearby Toyota dealership and they found a leaking spot weld in the oil pan. Manufacturer warranty covered the replacement and I was good to go! The car is a great and gets 28-32 city and some highway driving in a big city. Very good handling and reliability is acceptable. Have only had to change oil and rotate tires.

Low maintenance and handles great in snow and ice. Very good radio and speakers, easy to read dash and plenty of interior room front and back with 60/40 fold down seats!

More trunk space

High maintenance
By Stephanie

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new. I have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles and it sits in my garage when not being driven. At 34,000 miles the car started making a screeching sound like a belt was bad and it began shifting roughly. The dealer said I needed the transmission fluid changed and a new belt. $312.00 later my car seems to be ok. I have had a Ford and Pontiac in the past and never had to make these types of services until 100,000. I am disappointed with this car and feel that the quality that Toyota is known for is slipping. Will never buy another Corolla.

Roomy trunk. Bright headlights really helps with night driving.

Road noise at highway speeds is loud. Better reliability.

Good little car
By Lanehalli

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla has been mechanically sound throughout my ownership. Other than gas and oil, there have been no outside expenses. I got the 5 sp, which I think is a must for a small car, and have not been disappointed. The car handles well, brakes well, and gets up to hwy speeds with no problem. Living in NYC, I do not approach the sticker mpg claims. Generally around 25-27 around town and 33 on hwy. My only complaint is the ease in which this car is dented. Both front quarter panels have been dented, and simply from someone leaning on them. But overall, this has been a quality car that I will be trading in (need more space for growing family). Good job Toyota.

Love the interior, the stereo kicks, love the 5 sp. and sunroof

Improve the integrity of the metal used on the outside. A hybrid would be awesome too