Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Still Reliable
By RCOBB

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 97,000 miles in 2008 from a certified dealer. This is my 3rd Corolla. The Gas Mileage on the street is 30-33 mpg, only when I drive between 35mpg and 42mph. The car's elevated height has a PRO & CON. CON: when backing up (or making a turn at a low curb) it becomes difficult hard to judge the distance of the car behind me, or the curb below. PRO: rocks, curbs and parking blocks won't scratch the bumper, or my under-siding at all. The Seats are comfortable enough for a little car. And at 5'7, I can sleep in it, for a few hours, reclined. The sun visor hits the rear-view mirror. I change my oil before 3,000 miles. And I change Trans fluid once a year. No repairs so far.

Favorite Features

CHEAP parts, especially after market. And I can still do-it-myself on breaks, belts, and all the fluids. OK gas saver. Good enough Acceleration, cold A/C. Respectable looking car, for going out on the town or to work. Nice sound system. CD changer is ok. I still want a TAPE CASSETTE option!

Suggested Improvements

Most of the improvements have been made in the 2009 model. But oddly, the 09 model's have less driver side room than the 08-03 and even earlier models? Imagine that? I don't like day-running lights. And I hate the annoying fasten-seatbelt beeper. The dome light is very weak, should be brighter.

All good at first
By Roxane

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my car have a love hate relationship. I love the design and the way it drives. It is very easy to get around in. I bought my car in 06 it had 10,000 miles on it but looked brand new, In June of 08 the fuel pump went out (new fuel pump cost 798.00), May of 09 cylinder coil went out replaced and it still isn't running right. They just don't make Toyota like they use to.

Favorite Features

easy to handle, great fuel millage

Suggested Improvements

more dependable

Fantastic car
By LKiller

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When purchasing this car, I had no other choices. I'm a 19 year old with limited credit, and no cosigners. I hardly even know how to drive a standard. Once I stepped into this 5 speed Corolla, I'm not going to lie, it's kept me pleased ever since I've had it. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I've wanted to master the standard way of driving. Car is great to drive, performance wise, its not STI, but still has good acceleration and power for only 128 horse I think. Car does get a bit unstable in the 75mph mark or on a windy day. Feels too light for its own good. However, car is perfect for someone that just needs to get from point A to point B and have a good time doing so.

Favorite Features

The speakers aren't as good as my kickers and woofers in my last car, but pretty impressive for stock speakers. Plus, I just learned what an engine immobilizer is and I'm glad it has that.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had power everything. Not going to lie, I'm lazy and after my last two cars, I'm pretty sick of rolling up or down my window and pushing in or pulling up the lock. I don't care for a sunroof, but some power options would be nice. Cruise control as well please.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dusty Jarhead

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car over four years and it's been 100% reliable, best handling car I've driven, great performance, and the seat gives my fairly seriously messed-up spine the best support I've found in a car seat. Mileage is very good - the only vehicle I've owned that used less gas was a Suzuki/Chevy Swift/Sprint. I'd buy this again without hesitation and have recommended the model to other folks since I got mine.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, quality

Suggested Improvements

bigger rear view mirror?

Count On It!
By wtm

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with a 5 speed. Never have had it back to the dealership with any problems. Has enough stuff to get up to freeway speed safely (with some to spare). Road noise noticeable on chip- seal surfaces, but otherwise quite good. Put brakes on @ about 160,000 miles. Have never had to align vehicle and tires still wear evenly. I change oil/filter regularly (about every 5,000 miles) and don't use more than a 1/2 quart between changes. Will pass 200,000 miles this week. My driving is 70/30 freeway/city and I consistently get 35 to 37 mpg. Have gotten as high as 42.5 mpg on long trips. The epitome of function over style. Will buy another one after I have 300,000 miles on this one