Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

Factory stereo, big trunk, gas mileage, overall design.

Ill-fitted hubcaps, cheap window seals, annoying seat belt alarm.

The Best of Many Worlds
By P. Onsager

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time deciding on a car. I was almost sure I wanted a Civic Si, but when I randomly saw and test drove the XRS, my search had come to an end. It combines comfort, very decent styling, excellent interior materials and build quality, and easily the most rev-happy engine in its class. It can be driven mildly, as it doesn't actually hit 170hp until high (6-7k) rps but if you actually enjoy driving, it's a blast. Love revving way up in 1st and you're good to go from there on out. Combine these things with the fact that Toyota has maintained a reliability record that with Honda has been on the decline, and you have one great car...if you're lucky enough to find one!

6 speed, comfortable seats, interior quality, body kit.

Rear fold-down seats, intermittent wipers, and no reverse beeping!!

Maintenance
By Greg

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car was good for the first 4 years. Dealer will try to talk you into maintenance that you don't need. Better hope your fuel pump doesn't breakdown. It costs $1140 to get a new fuel pump installed. Better hope your headlight doesn't crack. $200 just for the part. That doesn't even include labor. Overall, I would rate it 7 out of 10.

Body style

Make the car parts more affordable.

Not what I expected
By iggy

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is way overrated. The ride is noisy and the alignment do not last. The design of the front windshield design blocks the view when turning. Blind spots are bigger. Just recently had to replace the ECU (computer). The tensioner pulley is making noise. Will be replaced next time it goes in for service. Foot place on left broke off. I will replace it soon before warranty expires. One of the worst vehicles I bought.

Great Acceleration. The a/c works great. Gas mileage acceptable.

Noise reduction. Better ECU module. More room. More comfortable seats.

Still Reliable
By RCOBB

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 97,000 miles in 2008 from a certified dealer. This is my 3rd Corolla. The Gas Mileage on the street is 30-33 mpg, only when I drive between 35mpg and 42mph. The car's elevated height has a PRO & CON. CON: when backing up (or making a turn at a low curb) it becomes difficult hard to judge the distance of the car behind me, or the curb below. PRO: rocks, curbs and parking blocks won't scratch the bumper, or my under-siding at all. The Seats are comfortable enough for a little car. And at 5'7, I can sleep in it, for a few hours, reclined. The sun visor hits the rear-view mirror. I change my oil before 3,000 miles. And I change Trans fluid once a year. No repairs so far.

CHEAP parts, especially after market. And I can still do-it-myself on breaks, belts, and all the fluids. OK gas saver. Good enough Acceleration, cold A/C. Respectable looking car, for going out on the town or to work. Nice sound system. CD changer is ok. I still want a TAPE CASSETTE option!

Most of the improvements have been made in the 2009 model. But oddly, the 09 model's have less driver side room than the 08-03 and even earlier models? Imagine that? I don't like day-running lights. And I hate the annoying fasten-seatbelt beeper. The dome light is very weak, should be brighter.