Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great Reliable Car!
By The Doll

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After car shopping in 2005, the Toyota Corolla seemed to be the best economical and fuel efficient car that I saw. Since I bought it, the car has not given me any problems. However, I do make sure it gets its regular maintenance. I truly recommend a Toyota Corolla for reliability.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficient and rides smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights should be able to able to manually turn off. You can't turn them off on your own. The cost of power windows were $1k more so it could be less expensive.

A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

Favorite Features

Factory stereo, big trunk, gas mileage, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

Ill-fitted hubcaps, cheap window seals, annoying seat belt alarm.

The Best of Many Worlds
By P. Onsager

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time deciding on a car. I was almost sure I wanted a Civic Si, but when I randomly saw and test drove the XRS, my search had come to an end. It combines comfort, very decent styling, excellent interior materials and build quality, and easily the most rev-happy engine in its class. It can be driven mildly, as it doesn't actually hit 170hp until high (6-7k) rps but if you actually enjoy driving, it's a blast. Love revving way up in 1st and you're good to go from there on out. Combine these things with the fact that Toyota has maintained a reliability record that with Honda has been on the decline, and you have one great car...if you're lucky enough to find one!

Favorite Features

6 speed, comfortable seats, interior quality, body kit.

Suggested Improvements

Rear fold-down seats, intermittent wipers, and no reverse beeping!!

Maintenance
By Greg

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car was good for the first 4 years. Dealer will try to talk you into maintenance that you don't need. Better hope your fuel pump doesn't breakdown. It costs $1140 to get a new fuel pump installed. Better hope your headlight doesn't crack. $200 just for the part. That doesn't even include labor. Overall, I would rate it 7 out of 10.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Make the car parts more affordable.

Not what I expected
By iggy

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is way overrated. The ride is noisy and the alignment do not last. The design of the front windshield design blocks the view when turning. Blind spots are bigger. Just recently had to replace the ECU (computer). The tensioner pulley is making noise. Will be replaced next time it goes in for service. Foot place on left broke off. I will replace it soon before warranty expires. One of the worst vehicles I bought.

Favorite Features

Great Acceleration. The a/c works great. Gas mileage acceptable.

Suggested Improvements

Noise reduction. Better ECU module. More room. More comfortable seats.