Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Economic Commuter
By Iowa driver

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought our 05 CE certified used as a second commuter vehicle...during high gas prices. The gas mileage, build quality, and appearance are all excellent. Top mileage in gentle conditions (mostly highway, around 60 mph) we get 36 mpg. Average close to 400 miles per tank. I like the simple dash layout and open feel of the cabin. I am less happy with the ride quality. Pronounced road noise and jittery ride at highway speeds. On the highway it also feels light and gets pushed around my passing trucks or high winds. Know this is because it has a smaller wheel base and light frame for gas mileage. Considering trading up to Camry or Lexus. Need a better ride as a is suffer vertigo.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, excellent build quality, dash layout, plush seats wear like iron, pretty tan interior, exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce road noise. Improve ride quality if possible given the size of the vehicle.

Knock on Wood!
By 05Rolla

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 6 miles on it. I love this car. Every time I'm tempted to purchase a new car, I just can't imagine departing from my Corolla. Made in the USA by GM workers, this car has quality. Besides some initial, and minor, warranty issues, I've done nothing but change her oil and give her a new set of tires. I can only imagine this being an awesome buy as a used car because it really is quite versatile. Decent trunk, spacious interior, decent design.

Favorite Features

The Omnitron speedometer and gauges, 6 CD changer and 6 speakers, my added XM radio. My dog loves that the back windows go down all the way!

Suggested Improvements

Head lights are too dim without the BRIGHTS on (even with SilverStar). Keyless entry but no trunk pop??? That's all, the only two things after 5 years I would change.

Dependable car - as it should be
By JSW

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after owning a 1996 Dodge Stratus. Have not regretted the decision. Fantastic commute car with EXCELLENT gas mileage. Now at almost 88K miles, its showing the wear and tear, but its a keeper. Reliable and very dependable vehicle. It has never let me down on my commute to Denver - even in winter snow storms. As for other reviewers that have reported mechanical problems...stuff like this happens, live with it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see a hybrid model down the line, but it would have to beat 40MPG that I get with the current model. Needs more power ;-)

Highly Recommend
By Kevin

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car at the end of August of 2005 and wasn't too sure what the XRS model was. After 4 years of owning it, I think its a pretty good daily driver. It's fun to drive and has enough power to keep up with flow of traffic. The 6 speed manual is what makes it different from the other models and the 2zz-ge motor revs up to 8200 rpm which makes a really fun to drive when the lift kicks in.

Favorite Features

Lift at the high end and pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the lift to a more reasonable RPM. 6800 is way too high.

Boring, generic, poorly crafted
By rfk

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 05 and about 5,000 mile ago the rattling around the driver and passenger windows and door and dash (front and rear) has become unbearable. It's gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into a wall. My daily drive has become a test of my patience and hearing (from having to blast my stereo).

Favorite Features

fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

This car is so completely boring and poorly crafted they should start over, only this time care a bit more what they place their logo on.