2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Disappointed
By Joey C. on 11/01/08 16:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Toyota because I'd heard good things about them. I can only hope they're reliability exceeds build quality. At 54,000 or so miles there began a pronounced rattling under the dash. By 56000 or so miles, there were more along with rattling in the rear of the cabin. The car I traded in was a Mitsubishi Eclipse with 310688 miles. The Toyota has more rattles at 56000 miles than the Eclipse with over 310,000. I did contact Toyota about this. By how their response read, they couldn't help because my car wasn't a Certified Pre-Owned. My next vehicle WON'T be a Toyota.

Good but Not Great
By Good but not Great on 09/27/08 04:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is a great car. Fun to drive, a lot of pep for a car this size (without A/C, and only driver). Good design, holds up well. Got the car Feb 2005 - and it has 90,000 miles on it Sept 2008. No Major complaints, would recommend to anyone. Had to get the ECU changed within the first couple of months because it was hard to start. The tires wore extremely bad on edge even after Toyota Dealership aligned them Only 16K on 60K tires. Got them aligned recently and it has been much better. Passenger window rattles at any speed. Also the idle/tensioner pulley makes ticking noises and has been replaced 5 times, yes five times. Without the extended warranty I'm sure this would probably be costly.

I love and hate my Corolla XRS
By leslie on 09/23/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love driving it, I like how fast you can go but have not been over 85 in it. I don't know how hard it was driven before me but March 2008 the transmission went out. June wheel bearing went bad, replaced it and again in July. And in September gotta replace again.

Best compact car for the money
By dhp on 09/21/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the automatic CE model new in late 2004. 4 yrs and 131,000 miles later it has exceeded all expectations. For its size it has the most trunk space, interior room, gas mileage (always more than 33 and as high as 42.5), pickup, and best overall handling. Comfort is so-so but I'm 6'1" and my head doesn't touch the headliner. Some wind noise at highway speeds but far quieter than previous car ever was (1997 Saturn SC1). A/C works superb even on a 105 degree day. This car has never stranded me and aside from tires at 40K and 100K, brakes/plugs at 60K and 125K, and O2 sensor at 34K no mechanical failures or parts whatsoever! Toyota built this one right!

Reliability combined with great economy
By Buhler on 08/25/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 years ago, now at 144000 miles - I have a long commute. The car is by far the best car I have owned, hands down. I have the 5-speed manual transmission, and get great handling and performance. I get anywhere between 40 and 42 mpg since I am mostly driving freeway. On my third set of tires, other than that, no defects or repairs needed - still on factory brakes and clutch. Change oil and rotate tires religiously. I did not buy any options with the car and find the LE basic model quite complete and comfortable.

Love my Corolla S
By Dobart on 08/12/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I looked for the vehicle for over 6 months and ended up at a dealership in used cars. First thing I noticed when I had them put the car up on the lift for inspection was a few drips of oil under the oil pan. The sales person assured me it was from the recent oil change. I kept an eye on it for a few weeks and it continued. Took the car to a nearby Toyota dealership and they found a leaking spot weld in the oil pan. Manufacturer warranty covered the replacement and I was good to go! The car is a great and gets 28-32 city and some highway driving in a big city. Very good handling and reliability is acceptable. Have only had to change oil and rotate tires.

High maintenance
By Stephanie on 08/12/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new. I have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles and it sits in my garage when not being driven. At 34,000 miles the car started making a screeching sound like a belt was bad and it began shifting roughly. The dealer said I needed the transmission fluid changed and a new belt. $312.00 later my car seems to be ok. I have had a Ford and Pontiac in the past and never had to make these types of services until 100,000. I am disappointed with this car and feel that the quality that Toyota is known for is slipping. Will never buy another Corolla.

Good little car
By Lanehalli on 07/06/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla has been mechanically sound throughout my ownership. Other than gas and oil, there have been no outside expenses. I got the 5 sp, which I think is a must for a small car, and have not been disappointed. The car handles well, brakes well, and gets up to hwy speeds with no problem. Living in NYC, I do not approach the sticker mpg claims. Generally around 25-27 around town and 33 on hwy. My only complaint is the ease in which this car is dented. Both front quarter panels have been dented, and simply from someone leaning on them. But overall, this has been a quality car that I will be trading in (need more space for growing family). Good job Toyota.

Satisfied
By D D on 06/25/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

With 137,000 miles I have yet to make any repairs. My mechanic told me to keep it well serviced which I have been doing, and it will last me almost for ever. Three days ago it was badly damaged when some one ran into the side. I felt like crying. The car has been very reliable and so good on gas especially since I do so much driving. If it cannot be fixed I will definately be getting another Corolla. It has served me well so far. If I was given the opportunity to change to another car I would not. I love my Corolla.

Excellent fuel economy, almost reliable
By Yongwon on 04/01/08 09:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Everything runs great after 34000 miles. Smoothest ride in its class (which isn't saying much), although somewhat sluggish in handling and noisy on the highway. Driving position is very awkward if you are tall, although my 5'2" wife loves it. I wish we had the Japanese model in the US. (It has automatic climate control, vehicle stability and ABS standard, etc) Toyota reliability and quality is somewhat overrated. Mine came with dislodged window rubber from the factory. ECU replaced because engine didn't always start due to known factory defect on early 05 production. However, everything else is in excellent shape after 3 years of use, with no sign of wear.