Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 339 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great Car for the Price!
By David

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The minuses: Car dogs considerably when A/C is on. The manual transmission is not very forgiving. I have driven manuals for over 20 years and I have killed the engine (in getting out of first gear) numerous times. The gear spacing is too tight overall (easy to confuse gears). Would like to see lighted pads for the CD/Radio, can't see which button one is hitting in night driving. Gas mileage has been good (33-35), but not as high as I had expected. My wife finds the steering wheel to be awkwardly placed and I find the padded rest arm on the driver door to be too small. Despite the above criticism, I am extremely pleased with the car, especially for its ride and quiet ride.

The quiet ride is excellent for a small car. Impressive amount of trunk space. The dash indicators are bright and easy to read. This is my third Corolla (still driving my 90 Corolla with 170K) and I expect this car to last as long as the other two.

Improve manual transmission gear tightness. Steering wheel and padded armrest on drive door need improvement. Make side airbags and ABS standard. Remote should also open the trunk. Need better lighting for the CD/radio at night.

Good Bang for The Buck
By AMR

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Needing to save $ on gas, this car does it. Excellent wood grain interior, all controls easy to access so you don't take your eyes off the road. I can't wait to see how long I can make this car last.

6 Disc CD Changer, Wood grain interior is sharp. This provides the illusion you have a luxury car...which you basically do.

Taller people would like an arm rest. Make the seat raise and lower as one unit, not just the back of the seat moving up/down. The window control unit needs work. If I press the window lock button to keep my child from moving the window up/down up/down... it also blocks me from moving the window.

Almost Perfect
By Fred Fischer

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Toyota Corolla gets about 36 miles per gallon whether on the highway or driving around town. The inside is very large; especially the back seat and you sit higher than other sedans on the road. The seats are very comfortable. The engine and transmision operate flawlessly. It holds about 12 gallons of gasoline so filling up costs about $20. It is very quiet and feels sturdy.

My favorite feature is the high miles per gallon and the dependability of the Toyota brand name. I have the LE model and it came with side air-bags which I will probably never use but it's nice to know they are there.

The car wiggles on windy days; I suspect because of it's higher than normal profile.

Best Small Car
By Scott

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

For years I considered buying a Toyota but I didn't because the dealers were notorious for not discounting off the MSRP. That doesn't seem to be true anymore. I used Edmunds' internet buying advice and I was able to purchase a well-equiped LE for well under invoice price, plus I got the rebate. I looked into the usual supects (Civic, Mazda 3, Sentra, etc) and the Toyota has them beat in almost all categories. The Corolla seems to have a combination of performance and comfort the others don't seem to match. So far it is a very enjoyable vehicle.

I drive 25 miles to work, so with gas prices approaching $2.30 a gallon, it has to be the miles per gallon without the high prices the dealers ask for the Hybrids. Also the build quality seems to be unusually good.

I would like to see a power driver's seat and I would like ABS to be standard.

I'm pleased with my purchase!
By new beginnings

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car because of the Toyota name and its reputation. I have been pleased with my car's overall performance and comfort. In the past I've had a couple of Cadillacs but decided to really get my moneys worth out of my car this time.

I love the way my car looks and I feel very good at the gas station when I can fill up on regular gas.

Make it a little roomier.