2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy on 07/27/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

The Best of Many Worlds
By P. Onsager on 07/27/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time deciding on a car. I was almost sure I wanted a Civic Si, but when I randomly saw and test drove the XRS, my search had come to an end. It combines comfort, very decent styling, excellent interior materials and build quality, and easily the most rev-happy engine in its class. It can be driven mildly, as it doesn't actually hit 170hp until high (6-7k) rps but if you actually enjoy driving, it's a blast. Love revving way up in 1st and you're good to go from there on out. Combine these things with the fact that Toyota has maintained a reliability record that with Honda has been on the decline, and you have one great car...if you're lucky enough to find one!

Maintenance
By Greg on 06/12/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car was good for the first 4 years. Dealer will try to talk you into maintenance that you don't need. Better hope your fuel pump doesn't breakdown. It costs $1140 to get a new fuel pump installed. Better hope your headlight doesn't crack. $200 just for the part. That doesn't even include labor. Overall, I would rate it 7 out of 10.

Not what I expected
By iggy on 06/04/09 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is way overrated. The ride is noisy and the alignment do not last. The design of the front windshield design blocks the view when turning. Blind spots are bigger. Just recently had to replace the ECU (computer). The tensioner pulley is making noise. Will be replaced next time it goes in for service. Foot place on left broke off. I will replace it soon before warranty expires. One of the worst vehicles I bought.

Still Reliable
By RCOBB on 05/29/09 00:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 97,000 miles in 2008 from a certified dealer. This is my 3rd Corolla. The Gas Mileage on the street is 30-33 mpg, only when I drive between 35mpg and 42mph. The car's elevated height has a PRO & CON. CON: when backing up (or making a turn at a low curb) it becomes difficult hard to judge the distance of the car behind me, or the curb below. PRO: rocks, curbs and parking blocks won't scratch the bumper, or my under-siding at all. The Seats are comfortable enough for a little car. And at 5'7, I can sleep in it, for a few hours, reclined. The sun visor hits the rear-view mirror. I change my oil before 3,000 miles. And I change Trans fluid once a year. No repairs so far.

All good at first
By Roxane on 05/26/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my car have a love hate relationship. I love the design and the way it drives. It is very easy to get around in. I bought my car in 06 it had 10,000 miles on it but looked brand new, In June of 08 the fuel pump went out (new fuel pump cost 798.00), May of 09 cylinder coil went out replaced and it still isn't running right. They just don't make Toyota like they use to.

Fantastic car
By LKiller on 04/17/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When purchasing this car, I had no other choices. I'm a 19 year old with limited credit, and no cosigners. I hardly even know how to drive a standard. Once I stepped into this 5 speed Corolla, I'm not going to lie, it's kept me pleased ever since I've had it. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I've wanted to master the standard way of driving. Car is great to drive, performance wise, its not STI, but still has good acceleration and power for only 128 horse I think. Car does get a bit unstable in the 75mph mark or on a windy day. Feels too light for its own good. However, car is perfect for someone that just needs to get from point A to point B and have a good time doing so.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dusty Jarhead on 02/18/09 08:32 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car over four years and it's been 100% reliable, best handling car I've driven, great performance, and the seat gives my fairly seriously messed-up spine the best support I've found in a car seat. Mileage is very good - the only vehicle I've owned that used less gas was a Suzuki/Chevy Swift/Sprint. I'd buy this again without hesitation and have recommended the model to other folks since I got mine.

Count On It!
By wtm on 12/28/08 21:39 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with a 5 speed. Never have had it back to the dealership with any problems. Has enough stuff to get up to freeway speed safely (with some to spare). Road noise noticeable on chip- seal surfaces, but otherwise quite good. Put brakes on @ about 160,000 miles. Have never had to align vehicle and tires still wear evenly. I change oil/filter regularly (about every 5,000 miles) and don't use more than a 1/2 quart between changes. Will pass 200,000 miles this week. My driving is 70/30 freeway/city and I consistently get 35 to 37 mpg. Have gotten as high as 42.5 mpg on long trips. The epitome of function over style. Will buy another one after I have 300,000 miles on this one

Good small car
By SJN on 12/11/08 10:25 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/10k mi. Likes: Fuel economy, 38 mpg (70% hwy). Comfortable seats, roomy interior, good trunk room with fold down rear seat back feature, good acceleration & power w/5 speed manual trans, & good ride on most roads. Dislikes: OEM Gdyr Integrity tires were worn out at 20,000 mi. Replaced with Gdyr Triple-Treds. These seem to be wearing much better but are noisier. Road noise is annoying,especially over coarse pavement. Wind and engine noise are also very noticeable at highway speeds.The radio sound distorts at higher volume (cheap speakers) and is nearly useless at highway speeds when competing with the road noise. The CD player sometimes skips when I hit a bounce.