2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Overall, good vehicle
By mar-tay on 03/05/10 14:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car used in Aug. '06 with only 3,300 miles on it from a private owner. Complaints are only minor: sun visor on driver's hits the rear-view mirror every time you pull it down and put it back up, it's annoying to have to readjust the mirror every time the sun is in your eyes. Other major complaint is driving position, I'm 6' tall and have to have the seat pushed all the way back for leg room, when I do that, the steering wheel is too far, since it does not telescope out( corrected on '09 and newer Corollas).

Great Mileage, Poor comfort
By IllesheimVet on 02/13/10 20:23 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new for wife. At 5ft 2in tall she loves it! I (at 6ft 2in) found it to be more uncomfortable than my old 1990 Corolla. The steering wheel is too far away and not adjustable. The armrests on the doors are very hard and my left arm goes to sleep when driving even short distances and the seats provide little thigh support for taller people. The serpentine belt squeaks constantly, (tensioner?) The valence panel below the front bumper is very flimsy and easily cracked.. Be careful when loading the trunk. The curved support arms may crush items when the lid is closed.

05 Corolla
By Mike on 02/11/10 18:30 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car new!! Being that I was a Ford owner I bought the Corolla with a 200k/6yr powertrain warranty! In 195000 kms warranty covered ECM, Fuel Punp, Wheel Bearing and Timing chain seal!! The pump and ECM failure is odd but not totally unheard of, but compared to the 97 Ford Taurus, the toyota quality is unsurpassed! I too have a strange whistling sound from windscreen at higher speeds! Oh ya...door seal were replaced after on yr!! One cam loose so dealer changed them all!!! Great dealer service!!!

Powerful little car
By AOW on 01/26/10 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It's my mother's car but I drive it every now and then to make sure all is fine. It has been very dependable, never in the shop for anything except brake pads, battery and regular maintenance. Did have problem with weather strip around the front doors. The dealer replaced them under warranty and the whistling noise went away. Every time I drive it, I'm amazed by the power it gives. Merging onto freeway is a breeze and the pick up from stop is also great for 1.8L. This is the 3rd Corolla in the family. Can't beat the overall value.

Economic Commuter
By Iowa driver on 01/17/10 07:30 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought our 05 CE certified used as a second commuter vehicle...during high gas prices. The gas mileage, build quality, and appearance are all excellent. Top mileage in gentle conditions (mostly highway, around 60 mph) we get 36 mpg. Average close to 400 miles per tank. I like the simple dash layout and open feel of the cabin. I am less happy with the ride quality. Pronounced road noise and jittery ride at highway speeds. On the highway it also feels light and gets pushed around my passing trucks or high winds. Know this is because it has a smaller wheel base and light frame for gas mileage. Considering trading up to Camry or Lexus. Need a better ride as a is suffer vertigo.

Knock on Wood!
By 05Rolla on 11/30/09 16:45 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 6 miles on it. I love this car. Every time I'm tempted to purchase a new car, I just can't imagine departing from my Corolla. Made in the USA by GM workers, this car has quality. Besides some initial, and minor, warranty issues, I've done nothing but change her oil and give her a new set of tires. I can only imagine this being an awesome buy as a used car because it really is quite versatile. Decent trunk, spacious interior, decent design.

Dependable car - as it should be
By JSW on 11/22/09 01:57 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after owning a 1996 Dodge Stratus. Have not regretted the decision. Fantastic commute car with EXCELLENT gas mileage. Now at almost 88K miles, its showing the wear and tear, but its a keeper. Reliable and very dependable vehicle. It has never let me down on my commute to Denver - even in winter snow storms. As for other reviewers that have reported mechanical problems...stuff like this happens, live with it.

Highly Recommend
By Kevin on 09/20/09 22:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car at the end of August of 2005 and wasn't too sure what the XRS model was. After 4 years of owning it, I think its a pretty good daily driver. It's fun to drive and has enough power to keep up with flow of traffic. The 6 speed manual is what makes it different from the other models and the 2zz-ge motor revs up to 8200 rpm which makes a really fun to drive when the lift kicks in.

Boring, generic, poorly crafted
By rfk on 09/17/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 05 and about 5,000 mile ago the rattling around the driver and passenger windows and door and dash (front and rear) has become unbearable. It's gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into a wall. My daily drive has become a test of my patience and hearing (from having to blast my stereo).

Great Reliable Car!
By The Doll on 08/08/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After car shopping in 2005, the Toyota Corolla seemed to be the best economical and fuel efficient car that I saw. Since I bought it, the car has not given me any problems. However, I do make sure it gets its regular maintenance. I truly recommend a Toyota Corolla for reliability.