Used 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

2005-2006 XRS is good to have one
By Andy

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had my 1986 Corolla GTS before and now I have chance to own a XRS. Though Corolla is an entry level of Toyota but still surprises me after many years! After 9 months driving, I am really satisfied with it. As a used car, the price go down a lot to a reasonable amount. However, the cornering still need to be improved by upgrading aftermarket parts. The original tuned suspension is unable to handle this car anymore which I feel too soft. 0-60 mph only 7.2 sec with top speed 130 mph (Lock by limiter) and 28 mpg with mixing freeway and local (I live in SF Bay area) If you plan to buy Scion tC, I would recommend you to have this one instead if you don't mind have a used car.

Favorite Features

The VVTi-L engine and 6 spd transmission from Celica GTS give me a lot of fun.

Suggested Improvements

If the VVTi-L turns on around 5,700 rpm will be perfect as the originally setting turns on at 6,800 to 8,200 rpm only. The factory rims should go 17" inches instead of 16" inches

Highly Recommend
By Kevin

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car at the end of August of 2005 and wasn't too sure what the XRS model was. After 4 years of owning it, I think its a pretty good daily driver. It's fun to drive and has enough power to keep up with flow of traffic. The 6 speed manual is what makes it different from the other models and the 2zz-ge motor revs up to 8200 rpm which makes a really fun to drive when the lift kicks in.

Favorite Features

Lift at the high end and pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the lift to a more reasonable RPM. 6800 is way too high.

The Best of Many Worlds
By P. Onsager

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time deciding on a car. I was almost sure I wanted a Civic Si, but when I randomly saw and test drove the XRS, my search had come to an end. It combines comfort, very decent styling, excellent interior materials and build quality, and easily the most rev-happy engine in its class. It can be driven mildly, as it doesn't actually hit 170hp until high (6-7k) rps but if you actually enjoy driving, it's a blast. Love revving way up in 1st and you're good to go from there on out. Combine these things with the fact that Toyota has maintained a reliability record that with Honda has been on the decline, and you have one great car...if you're lucky enough to find one!

Favorite Features

6 speed, comfortable seats, interior quality, body kit.

Suggested Improvements

Rear fold-down seats, intermittent wipers, and no reverse beeping!!

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dusty Jarhead

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car over four years and it's been 100% reliable, best handling car I've driven, great performance, and the seat gives my fairly seriously messed-up spine the best support I've found in a car seat. Mileage is very good - the only vehicle I've owned that used less gas was a Suzuki/Chevy Swift/Sprint. I'd buy this again without hesitation and have recommended the model to other folks since I got mine.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, quality

Suggested Improvements

bigger rear view mirror?

I love and hate my Corolla XRS
By leslie

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love driving it, I like how fast you can go but have not been over 85 in it. I don't know how hard it was driven before me but March 2008 the transmission went out. June wheel bearing went bad, replaced it and again in July. And in September gotta replace again.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and the fact you can put 20" wheels on it.

Suggested Improvements

That the transmission lasted longer than 4 years. And that a replaced wheel bearing lasted longer than a month and a half granted it was from napa but still 2 in 4 months is ridiculous. Going to try one from Toyota and see if it fixes the problem.