Used 2005 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Boring, generic, poorly crafted
By rfk

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 05 and about 5,000 mile ago the rattling around the driver and passenger windows and door and dash (front and rear) has become unbearable. It's gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into a wall. My daily drive has become a test of my patience and hearing (from having to blast my stereo).

Favorite Features

fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

This car is so completely boring and poorly crafted they should start over, only this time care a bit more what they place their logo on.

A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

Favorite Features

Factory stereo, big trunk, gas mileage, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

Ill-fitted hubcaps, cheap window seals, annoying seat belt alarm.

Not what I expected
By iggy

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is way overrated. The ride is noisy and the alignment do not last. The design of the front windshield design blocks the view when turning. Blind spots are bigger. Just recently had to replace the ECU (computer). The tensioner pulley is making noise. Will be replaced next time it goes in for service. Foot place on left broke off. I will replace it soon before warranty expires. One of the worst vehicles I bought.

Favorite Features

Great Acceleration. The a/c works great. Gas mileage acceptable.

Suggested Improvements

Noise reduction. Better ECU module. More room. More comfortable seats.

Still Reliable
By RCOBB

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 97,000 miles in 2008 from a certified dealer. This is my 3rd Corolla. The Gas Mileage on the street is 30-33 mpg, only when I drive between 35mpg and 42mph. The car's elevated height has a PRO & CON. CON: when backing up (or making a turn at a low curb) it becomes difficult hard to judge the distance of the car behind me, or the curb below. PRO: rocks, curbs and parking blocks won't scratch the bumper, or my under-siding at all. The Seats are comfortable enough for a little car. And at 5'7, I can sleep in it, for a few hours, reclined. The sun visor hits the rear-view mirror. I change my oil before 3,000 miles. And I change Trans fluid once a year. No repairs so far.

Favorite Features

CHEAP parts, especially after market. And I can still do-it-myself on breaks, belts, and all the fluids. OK gas saver. Good enough Acceleration, cold A/C. Respectable looking car, for going out on the town or to work. Nice sound system. CD changer is ok. I still want a TAPE CASSETTE option!

Suggested Improvements

Most of the improvements have been made in the 2009 model. But oddly, the 09 model's have less driver side room than the 08-03 and even earlier models? Imagine that? I don't like day-running lights. And I hate the annoying fasten-seatbelt beeper. The dome light is very weak, should be brighter.

Disappointed
By Joey C.

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Toyota because I'd heard good things about them. I can only hope they're reliability exceeds build quality. At 54,000 or so miles there began a pronounced rattling under the dash. By 56000 or so miles, there were more along with rattling in the rear of the cabin. The car I traded in was a Mitsubishi Eclipse with 310688 miles. The Toyota has more rattles at 56000 miles than the Eclipse with over 310,000. I did contact Toyota about this. By how their response read, they couldn't help because my car wasn't a Certified Pre-Owned. My next vehicle WON'T be a Toyota.