2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Boring, generic, poorly crafted
By rfk on 09/17/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 05 and about 5,000 mile ago the rattling around the driver and passenger windows and door and dash (front and rear) has become unbearable. It's gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into a wall. My daily drive has become a test of my patience and hearing (from having to blast my stereo).

A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy on 07/27/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

Not what I expected
By iggy on 06/04/09 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is way overrated. The ride is noisy and the alignment do not last. The design of the front windshield design blocks the view when turning. Blind spots are bigger. Just recently had to replace the ECU (computer). The tensioner pulley is making noise. Will be replaced next time it goes in for service. Foot place on left broke off. I will replace it soon before warranty expires. One of the worst vehicles I bought.

Still Reliable
By RCOBB on 05/29/09 00:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 97,000 miles in 2008 from a certified dealer. This is my 3rd Corolla. The Gas Mileage on the street is 30-33 mpg, only when I drive between 35mpg and 42mph. The car's elevated height has a PRO & CON. CON: when backing up (or making a turn at a low curb) it becomes difficult hard to judge the distance of the car behind me, or the curb below. PRO: rocks, curbs and parking blocks won't scratch the bumper, or my under-siding at all. The Seats are comfortable enough for a little car. And at 5'7, I can sleep in it, for a few hours, reclined. The sun visor hits the rear-view mirror. I change my oil before 3,000 miles. And I change Trans fluid once a year. No repairs so far.

Disappointed
By Joey C. on 11/01/08 16:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Toyota because I'd heard good things about them. I can only hope they're reliability exceeds build quality. At 54,000 or so miles there began a pronounced rattling under the dash. By 56000 or so miles, there were more along with rattling in the rear of the cabin. The car I traded in was a Mitsubishi Eclipse with 310688 miles. The Toyota has more rattles at 56000 miles than the Eclipse with over 310,000. I did contact Toyota about this. By how their response read, they couldn't help because my car wasn't a Certified Pre-Owned. My next vehicle WON'T be a Toyota.

Reliability combined with great economy
By Buhler on 08/25/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 years ago, now at 144000 miles - I have a long commute. The car is by far the best car I have owned, hands down. I have the 5-speed manual transmission, and get great handling and performance. I get anywhere between 40 and 42 mpg since I am mostly driving freeway. On my third set of tires, other than that, no defects or repairs needed - still on factory brakes and clutch. Change oil and rotate tires religiously. I did not buy any options with the car and find the LE basic model quite complete and comfortable.

High maintenance
By Stephanie on 08/12/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new. I have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles and it sits in my garage when not being driven. At 34,000 miles the car started making a screeching sound like a belt was bad and it began shifting roughly. The dealer said I needed the transmission fluid changed and a new belt. $312.00 later my car seems to be ok. I have had a Ford and Pontiac in the past and never had to make these types of services until 100,000. I am disappointed with this car and feel that the quality that Toyota is known for is slipping. Will never buy another Corolla.

Excellent fuel economy, almost reliable
By Yongwon on 04/01/08 09:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Everything runs great after 34000 miles. Smoothest ride in its class (which isn't saying much), although somewhat sluggish in handling and noisy on the highway. Driving position is very awkward if you are tall, although my 5'2" wife loves it. I wish we had the Japanese model in the US. (It has automatic climate control, vehicle stability and ABS standard, etc) Toyota reliability and quality is somewhat overrated. Mine came with dislodged window rubber from the factory. ECU replaced because engine didn't always start due to known factory defect on early 05 production. However, everything else is in excellent shape after 3 years of use, with no sign of wear.

Great car
By Mike on 09/18/07 13:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car new two years ago and have put 55,000 miles on it. The car is equipped with the 6 disc CD player and sunroof. Mechanically, the car is flawless. It has not been in the shop once, no rattles, adjustments or repairs. Longest road trip was 8 hrs - this is not a luxury sedan but not too bad (I'm 6'). I drive in Texas and the air cond. keeps up fine in 100+ degree summer days. I commute about 100 hwy miles a day roundtrip and get 33-34 mpg. Maxed at 36 mpg on the 8 hr roadtrip (upper 90s temp and air on the whole way). The only thing I would change is adding a telescoping steering wheel, the driving position is awkward.

I love my Corolla
By Thebearluvr on 06/30/07 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Corolla and it is proving to be just as reliable as the last one. Drove my last one for 11 years and had zero problems with it. The 05 Corolla is just as reliable. It's comfortable to drive, handles well in all types of weather and looks good. A very good value for the dollar.