2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Most reliable car I have ever owned
By brymil2 on 05/17/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles and have put a ton of miles on them. However, my 2005 Corolla has been by far the most reliable among all of them. I bought it brand new in late 2004 and performed all the required maintenance myself. What stands out about this car is that I drove it 178k miles before ANY repair was needed. Very few cars have performed that well. It ended up being the intake manifold gasket which what I hear from others, it one of the few things that go wrong with this car. I have averaged 35 mpg in 65% highway driving. I handed it down to my son but still drive it on occasion. Still going strong with 182k miles. Toyota has come close to perfecting this vehicle!

Don't let toyota fool you anymore!
By a_mechanic_001 on 03/14/13 09:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I worked for a dealership, and now I own a Toyota. I have to tell you, this car is the cheapest pile of garbage they have ever produced!! Recalls on computers, serpentine belt tensioners that fail, belts that make noise, intake manifold gaskets that crack and leak..

This car saved my life!
By explorersaurus on 12/07/12 13:35 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in a crash fast enough to set the airbags off. The car looked horrible, but I walked away with only a twisted ankle. In a frontal crash, this is definitely a class leader in the used car market. And before I crashed it, it was a decent little car. It had plenty of power, and the transmission was geared perfectly. The outside was a little bland, but that didn't really matter. The interior was not cramped, but cozy. I'm about 5'3" and the seat was at the perfect height for good visibility. The backseat was also rather large for a car it's size, accommodating two small adults comfortably.

Wow . . . Corolla!
By momofsbknbj on 04/07/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Corolla in 2007. It was a repo with 13,000 miles on it. It is 2012 now and the car has 160,000 miles on it. The car, knock on wood, has had no problems that I can recall except needing usual oil changes, tires and brakes replaced. We also had the serpentine belt replaced when it needed it at about 100,000 miles. The car gets excellent gas mileage, between 30-35 mpg average. We had a problem with the air conditioner about a year ago and then found out that these cars have a cabin air filter behind the glove box. Cleaned dust and leaves out of filter and air works fine again. Does not burn oil. Just a great car. We love our Corolla and have purchased 2 more since.

2005 Corolla good value
By rws1 on 04/11/11 10:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

On a recent 800 mile trip I got 36 miles to the gallon. This is driving 70 -75 miles an hour. The check engine light came on during this trip. Code P0456 was the obd code and after looking it up found that Toyota has a technial bullentin for this issue and is related to the upgraded ECM module that was done on the car. Has to be upgraded again apparently. Going to take to dealer this week. The car has plenty of power and considering the gas mileage it gets I can't complain at all. There is some wind noise but nothing bothersome. The original tires were noisy but new tires at 50k fixed that problem. Plenty of room in the trunk and back seats.

Piratical A-to-B car
By praticalowner on 01/24/11 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Understand this review is based 100% on the amount of money I paid for it in comparison to others cars at the time. Havening owned the Toyota Corolla LE Automatic for a little over 6 years now I’m glad I bought it. This car is exactly what you would expect for about the 15.5k or so I got mine brand new. I’m 5’11” barefoot, 220lb and I can make peace with the seating and steering orientation. The only negative thing about it is the fact that’s it’s a little under powered for my tastes, but then again I have a 530 HP(give or take) truck I play in. Also a lot of people say that it makes a lot of road noise. Let me ask you a question, how often have you heard a 2800 lb or so car not make road noise??? I also have a 97 Continental that is just as every bit noisy when you put in on the firm ride setting. And the engine in a 4 banger, this one and about every other I’ve driven does too. The fact on gas milage are this, the thing get about 95% of the rated 34/MPG highway (that’s about 32/MPG) that the EPA says it should. And yes 34/MPG is the correct MPG for this model, the 06 is the one with the 40 or whatever mpg. I know because I saw it on the chemical back in February 05!!! Not to mention the fact if you multiply the 13.2 gallon tank buy 34 you get about 450 miles. I averaged about 390~420 miles to a tank on the highway so that’s all the confirmation I ever needed. I will admit the city mileage took a pretty steep nose dive to around the 25-27/MPG mark. It seemed to fluctuate from 290/tank to 320/tank. Then again the way I’m used to driving my truck that probably has a lot to do with it LOL!!! IT does not get stuck easy with good all terrain tires (trust me I’ve got it stuck doing dumb stuff in it). The paint job is a little iffy on the lower parts of the unibody, but overall it’s very smooth and even with the clear coat. The fold-down seats, don’t fold all the way down per say, but it makes plenty of room for an 8’ Christmas tree or a few 10 foot fly rods. If you really REALLy want to decide for yourself if this is a car worth buying, see if you can work a deal out somehow to drive one around for a weekend. I test drove several cars several times before I chose this one, it was the right price for what I was getting. I did not buy this car because “it was the car for me” I bought it as a practical, reliable to way get to around and not completely bite it at the pump. I mean why do you think I got in in automatic???

Amazingly Reliable But Bland
By Toyota 289 on 08/04/10 04:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Japanese car. I became disgusted with the past 3 gm cars I have owned. This car changed my view on Asian cars, I used to think they were junk. This car proved me wrong. Purchased used in 2007 with 15,000 miles it now has 63,000 miles with ZERO issues. The only things it needed were tires, brakes, and oil changes. Not by any means an exciting car, if your looking for reliability and economy this is your car, if you are looking for excitement you will be bored of this car after a short while. Overall it's a great commuter car for the person who just wants to get from point A to B.It's has fairly peppy acceleration for it's class of vehicle. This car is a great value for the money.

Best car I ever had
By jkellz on 07/11/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my corolla in 04 with only 9miles on it. As of July 2010 i have 242,000+ miles on it and it still drives great. My first clutch lasted up for about 188,000 miles before it was replaced. but its not something to be driven in the snow.

2005-2006 XRS is good to have one
By Andy on 06/23/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had my 1986 Corolla GTS before and now I have chance to own a XRS. Though Corolla is an entry level of Toyota but still surprises me after many years! After 9 months driving, I am really satisfied with it. As a used car, the price go down a lot to a reasonable amount. However, the cornering still need to be improved by upgrading aftermarket parts. The original tuned suspension is unable to handle this car anymore which I feel too soft. 0-60 mph only 7.2 sec with top speed 130 mph (Lock by limiter) and 28 mpg with mixing freeway and local (I live in SF Bay area) If you plan to buy Scion tC, I would recommend you to have this one instead if you don't mind have a used car.

Be very careful when buying a corolla
By jimsh on 03/13/10 04:41 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After owning for 40 days, the fuel pump died in my corolla with 67,000 miles. The big problem is that mine was made in Japan. Because of that the fuel pump will cost over $800. If my corolla had been made in North America the fuel pump would cost $130-250. Why on earth would Toyota want to do that to their customers? Right now my car is still in the shop because I don't know what to do and neither does my mechanic. If the VIN starts with J that means it was made in Japan and you should not buy it!