2005 Toyota Corolla XRS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

2005-2006 XRS is good to have one
By Andy

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had my 1986 Corolla GTS before and now I have chance to own a XRS. Though Corolla is an entry level of Toyota but still surprises me after many years! After 9 months driving, I am really satisfied with it. As a used car, the price go down a lot to a reasonable amount. However, the cornering still need to be improved by upgrading aftermarket parts. The original tuned suspension is unable to handle this car anymore which I feel too soft. 0-60 mph only 7.2 sec with top speed 130 mph (Lock by limiter) and 28 mpg with mixing freeway and local (I live in SF Bay area) If you plan to buy Scion tC, I would recommend you to have this one instead if you don't mind have a used car.

Favorite Features

The VVTi-L engine and 6 spd transmission from Celica GTS give me a lot of fun.

Suggested Improvements

If the VVTi-L turns on around 5,700 rpm will be perfect as the originally setting turns on at 6,800 to 8,200 rpm only. The factory rims should go 17" inches instead of 16" inches

Highly Recommend
By Kevin

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car at the end of August of 2005 and wasn't too sure what the XRS model was. After 4 years of owning it, I think its a pretty good daily driver. It's fun to drive and has enough power to keep up with flow of traffic. The 6 speed manual is what makes it different from the other models and the 2zz-ge motor revs up to 8200 rpm which makes a really fun to drive when the lift kicks in.

Favorite Features

Lift at the high end and pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the lift to a more reasonable RPM. 6800 is way too high.

The Best of Many Worlds
By P. Onsager

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time deciding on a car. I was almost sure I wanted a Civic Si, but when I randomly saw and test drove the XRS, my search had come to an end. It combines comfort, very decent styling, excellent interior materials and build quality, and easily the most rev-happy engine in its class. It can be driven mildly, as it doesn't actually hit 170hp until high (6-7k) rps but if you actually enjoy driving, it's a blast. Love revving way up in 1st and you're good to go from there on out. Combine these things with the fact that Toyota has maintained a reliability record that with Honda has been on the decline, and you have one great car...if you're lucky enough to find one!

Favorite Features

6 speed, comfortable seats, interior quality, body kit.

Suggested Improvements

Rear fold-down seats, intermittent wipers, and no reverse beeping!!

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dusty Jarhead

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car over four years and it's been 100% reliable, best handling car I've driven, great performance, and the seat gives my fairly seriously messed-up spine the best support I've found in a car seat. Mileage is very good - the only vehicle I've owned that used less gas was a Suzuki/Chevy Swift/Sprint. I'd buy this again without hesitation and have recommended the model to other folks since I got mine.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, quality

Suggested Improvements

bigger rear view mirror?

I love and hate my Corolla XRS
By leslie

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love driving it, I like how fast you can go but have not been over 85 in it. I don't know how hard it was driven before me but March 2008 the transmission went out. June wheel bearing went bad, replaced it and again in July. And in September gotta replace again.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and the fact you can put 20" wheels on it.

Suggested Improvements

That the transmission lasted longer than 4 years. And that a replaced wheel bearing lasted longer than a month and a half granted it was from napa but still 2 in 4 months is ridiculous. Going to try one from Toyota and see if it fixes the problem.

Really fun car
By C2

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the XRS 2 1/2 years ago. It's a great, fun car for a real value. I wasn't excited about buying a Corolla until I found out about the XRS - then I had to have it. As soon as I test drove it, within minutes, I knew I had to have this car. Really fun to own and drive.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, great looking outside and in.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof rattles - fix it!

XRS is worth it
By Dave

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had purchased a Matrix XR...always wishing I had a Matrix XRS. I couldn't find one when I started looking again so I got the Corolla XRS and am loving it. I've put 15000 miles on it in the last year. I purchased snow tires for winter as the summer rated tires suck in the snow and cold we have in Minnesota.

Favorite Features

Sporty. Fun to drive as 2nd gear gets me to 63 mph.

Suggested Improvements

Real-time mileage. Stearing wheel radio controls.

Xrs owner
By Brian

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have now owned the car for over a year and a half. I'm 22 and may be a little ruff with it at times. I love the car, but had a few problems with it. At 22,000 miles two tires blew and by 30,000 I had replace the other two. At about 15,000 miles the fuel injector had to be replaced already. The clutch fried out at 37,000 miles and had to pay $1,400 to have it replaced. But over all I wouldn't trade it for anything, I don't know why it's just a nice car.

Favorite Features

I love the 6 speed and the ability to take the RPMs up to 8200. It is awesome on gas and I love the 6 disc in-dash CD Player. The ground effects look great and the strut bar makes the car turn on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

Few improvements I would make would be a glove box light, stereo controls on the steering wheel, and I notice my center console is coming loose and also the pull down drawer on the left side of the steering wheel.

Get some snow tires...
By Todd

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car back in April of last year and posted a review in July. Since then, I've had my first experience with it in snow and have some advice for those that want to buy one - get. some. snow. tires! The performance tires that come on the car are great on dry asphalt but I couldn't do a thing with the car once a half inch of snow was on the ground. No go; no stop; no turn.

Favorite Features

Tight handling. High-end power.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel. One touch sunroof closing. Fold-down rear seats.

Sporty Old man
By Rafael

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I was a Honda fan for the last 10 years, this is my first Toyota and I am excited with the performance in this car The XRS attracted me from the very first time that I saw on TV, especially the new DOHC engine with 170 hp, Honda never offered nothing like this and with any of the cars that I had, the closest one now is Honda the civic Si, which I already made him eat my dust, when I recently encountered one here on the highway. What else can I say!!!

Favorite Features

The overall performance is what attracts me the most, traction is awesome specially cornering, and it glues itself to the road.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs and deserves a better Stereo and speaker system. Apparently not all XRS get the CD changer, my car has single CD radio, 60/40 rear seats this days is a must and adjustable Steering Wheel.