2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Best car I ever had
By jkellz on 07/11/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my corolla in 04 with only 9miles on it. As of July 2010 i have 242,000+ miles on it and it still drives great. My first clutch lasted up for about 188,000 miles before it was replaced. but its not something to be driven in the snow.

Dependable car - as it should be
By JSW on 11/22/09 01:57 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after owning a 1996 Dodge Stratus. Have not regretted the decision. Fantastic commute car with EXCELLENT gas mileage. Now at almost 88K miles, its showing the wear and tear, but its a keeper. Reliable and very dependable vehicle. It has never let me down on my commute to Denver - even in winter snow storms. As for other reviewers that have reported mechanical problems...stuff like this happens, live with it.

Maintenance
By Greg on 06/12/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car was good for the first 4 years. Dealer will try to talk you into maintenance that you don't need. Better hope your fuel pump doesn't breakdown. It costs $1140 to get a new fuel pump installed. Better hope your headlight doesn't crack. $200 just for the part. That doesn't even include labor. Overall, I would rate it 7 out of 10.

All good at first
By Roxane on 05/26/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my car have a love hate relationship. I love the design and the way it drives. It is very easy to get around in. I bought my car in 06 it had 10,000 miles on it but looked brand new, In June of 08 the fuel pump went out (new fuel pump cost 798.00), May of 09 cylinder coil went out replaced and it still isn't running right. They just don't make Toyota like they use to.

Love my Corolla S
By Dobart on 08/12/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I looked for the vehicle for over 6 months and ended up at a dealership in used cars. First thing I noticed when I had them put the car up on the lift for inspection was a few drips of oil under the oil pan. The sales person assured me it was from the recent oil change. I kept an eye on it for a few weeks and it continued. Took the car to a nearby Toyota dealership and they found a leaking spot weld in the oil pan. Manufacturer warranty covered the replacement and I was good to go! The car is a great and gets 28-32 city and some highway driving in a big city. Very good handling and reliability is acceptable. Have only had to change oil and rotate tires.

Good little car
By Lanehalli on 07/06/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla has been mechanically sound throughout my ownership. Other than gas and oil, there have been no outside expenses. I got the 5 sp, which I think is a must for a small car, and have not been disappointed. The car handles well, brakes well, and gets up to hwy speeds with no problem. Living in NYC, I do not approach the sticker mpg claims. Generally around 25-27 around town and 33 on hwy. My only complaint is the ease in which this car is dented. Both front quarter panels have been dented, and simply from someone leaning on them. But overall, this has been a quality car that I will be trading in (need more space for growing family). Good job Toyota.

Quality
By griffyx on 03/06/08 14:19 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has left me on the side of the road. The computer (ECU) needed replaced. The window molding is a joke and coming off. It makes a cow sounding noise running at about 35 mph or breaking. Always is hard to start. The quality has slipped on the Corollas.

Economical but boring
By mnoeltne on 02/25/08 10:48 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I tried to like this car. It's relatively inexpensive, it gets great gas mileage, and Toyotas tend to be super-reliable. Our Corolla is all of that, but it's boring to drive, and I just cannot find a comfortable seating position in this car. I've adjusted everything that can be adjusted and I still get pain in my lower back and upper legs after driving this car for more than 45 minutes. I ended up giving my wife this car, and I started driving our 04 Golf TDI. My wife is happy enough with the car so we still have marital bliss. But, I have to say that I probably will not buy another one like this unless the redesigned models have improved seating.

Corolla S - drive it forever
By Mike on 09/10/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car in may 2005 as a hedge on rising fuel prices - just in time! Maintenance free, fun to drive! 40+ MPG highway, mid 30s or better on average. Comfortable, roomy, reasonably quiet.

Little old lady
By margaret Judd on 08/27/07 11:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect car for someone my age. Small enough to handle in tight spots and reliable as to engine and fuel economy.Never had an accident so body is excellent. I like the seat position as it is a little higher than in a Honda I previously owned. Current mileage 11000.