2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Great Reliable Car!
By The Doll on 08/08/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After car shopping in 2005, the Toyota Corolla seemed to be the best economical and fuel efficient car that I saw. Since I bought it, the car has not given me any problems. However, I do make sure it gets its regular maintenance. I truly recommend a Toyota Corolla for reliability.

Fantastic car
By LKiller on 04/17/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When purchasing this car, I had no other choices. I'm a 19 year old with limited credit, and no cosigners. I hardly even know how to drive a standard. Once I stepped into this 5 speed Corolla, I'm not going to lie, it's kept me pleased ever since I've had it. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I've wanted to master the standard way of driving. Car is great to drive, performance wise, its not STI, but still has good acceleration and power for only 128 horse I think. Car does get a bit unstable in the 75mph mark or on a windy day. Feels too light for its own good. However, car is perfect for someone that just needs to get from point A to point B and have a good time doing so.

Count On It!
By wtm on 12/28/08 21:39 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with a 5 speed. Never have had it back to the dealership with any problems. Has enough stuff to get up to freeway speed safely (with some to spare). Road noise noticeable on chip- seal surfaces, but otherwise quite good. Put brakes on @ about 160,000 miles. Have never had to align vehicle and tires still wear evenly. I change oil/filter regularly (about every 5,000 miles) and don't use more than a 1/2 quart between changes. Will pass 200,000 miles this week. My driving is 70/30 freeway/city and I consistently get 35 to 37 mpg. Have gotten as high as 42.5 mpg on long trips. The epitome of function over style. Will buy another one after I have 300,000 miles on this one

Good small car
By SJN on 12/11/08 10:25 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/10k mi. Likes: Fuel economy, 38 mpg (70% hwy). Comfortable seats, roomy interior, good trunk room with fold down rear seat back feature, good acceleration & power w/5 speed manual trans, & good ride on most roads. Dislikes: OEM Gdyr Integrity tires were worn out at 20,000 mi. Replaced with Gdyr Triple-Treds. These seem to be wearing much better but are noisier. Road noise is annoying,especially over coarse pavement. Wind and engine noise are also very noticeable at highway speeds.The radio sound distorts at higher volume (cheap speakers) and is nearly useless at highway speeds when competing with the road noise. The CD player sometimes skips when I hit a bounce.

Good but Not Great
By Good but not Great on 09/27/08 04:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is a great car. Fun to drive, a lot of pep for a car this size (without A/C, and only driver). Good design, holds up well. Got the car Feb 2005 - and it has 90,000 miles on it Sept 2008. No Major complaints, would recommend to anyone. Had to get the ECU changed within the first couple of months because it was hard to start. The tires wore extremely bad on edge even after Toyota Dealership aligned them Only 16K on 60K tires. Got them aligned recently and it has been much better. Passenger window rattles at any speed. Also the idle/tensioner pulley makes ticking noises and has been replaced 5 times, yes five times. Without the extended warranty I'm sure this would probably be costly.

Best compact car for the money
By dhp on 09/21/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the automatic CE model new in late 2004. 4 yrs and 131,000 miles later it has exceeded all expectations. For its size it has the most trunk space, interior room, gas mileage (always more than 33 and as high as 42.5), pickup, and best overall handling. Comfort is so-so but I'm 6'1" and my head doesn't touch the headliner. Some wind noise at highway speeds but far quieter than previous car ever was (1997 Saturn SC1). A/C works superb even on a 105 degree day. This car has never stranded me and aside from tires at 40K and 100K, brakes/plugs at 60K and 125K, and O2 sensor at 34K no mechanical failures or parts whatsoever! Toyota built this one right!

Satisfied
By D D on 06/25/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

With 137,000 miles I have yet to make any repairs. My mechanic told me to keep it well serviced which I have been doing, and it will last me almost for ever. Three days ago it was badly damaged when some one ran into the side. I felt like crying. The car has been very reliable and so good on gas especially since I do so much driving. If it cannot be fixed I will definately be getting another Corolla. It has served me well so far. If I was given the opportunity to change to another car I would not. I love my Corolla.

An excellent car
By Corolla 05 owner on 01/10/08 14:25 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Corolla in 2005 and am extremely pleased. Gas mileage is its strongest suit, a consistent 37-40 mpg (41 when I first bought it, and I'd probably still be getting that if I changed the air filter more frequently and didn't drive 70-75 mph). I've had no mechanical problems at all, just the occasional oil change, fluid fill-up. 5sp manual makes it fairly fun to drive and allows me to compensate for the moderately low horsepower (126) when accelerating so I can beat out a lot of 'faster' cars if I need to. Stability does suffer around 75 mph, especially on a windy day. When I change tires, I'll put larger ones on. The interior is extremely roomy and well-designed.

Great Car
By Mac on 12/08/07 11:43 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

3000+ mile trip. 39.9 MPG with automatic transmission and A/C running in June. Gets 28 to 31 MPG in city. Most economical car I have ever owned. Battery failed at 26000 miles. Out of state dealership paid tow and battery at no charge. Couldn't ask for better service and I can't fault any company about a defective battery.

I wish I knew about this car earlier
By kevin on 10/17/07 21:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a business and efficiency was not an issue. I had a BMW and I also owned a Ford Sport trac. In 2002 my business went bankrupt and I had almost no money. I bought a 1993 toyota tercel. That car cost me nothing for repairs and it would run and run. I promised myself to stick with Toyota forever because it saved my life. I bought a Corolla in 2006. It's perfect. It runs like a swiss watch. Never been to a repair shop. Never has a problem. It's 100% reliable. And this car makes you money if you work fo a company because the gas mileage is excellent.