2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

2005 Corolla Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Fantastic Car
By jayhawker1983

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Corolla CE that just turned over 170,000 miles. I have done nothing to it except routine maintenance. Runs just like it did when it was new. I plan on keeping it until the engine falls out of it.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Gas mileage - 36 MPG highway after 10 years and 170,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel.

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By brymil2

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles and have put a ton of miles on them. However, my 2005 Corolla has been by far the most reliable among all of them. I bought it brand new in late 2004 and performed all the required maintenance myself. What stands out about this car is that I drove it 178k miles before ANY repair was needed. Very few cars have performed that well. It ended up being the intake manifold gasket which what I hear from others, it one of the few things that go wrong with this car. I have averaged 35 mpg in 65% highway driving. I handed it down to my son but still drive it on occasion. Still going strong with 182k miles. Toyota has come close to perfecting this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Reliability and fuel economy. Being a small car, tires, brakes, suspension, struts, all last a long time!

Suggested Improvements

None!

Don't let toyota fool you anymore!
By a_mechanic_001

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I worked for a dealership, and now I own a Toyota. I have to tell you, this car is the cheapest pile of garbage they have ever produced!! Recalls on computers, serpentine belt tensioners that fail, belts that make noise, intake manifold gaskets that crack and leak..

Favorite Features

It runs, the paint is cheap and peels, its a car.. the stereo is decent though and it gets you from A to B until it dies as designed to at around 150,000 miles max.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pump costs $1000.00 - no reason for this. Stop using cheap plastic and purposely designing the vehicle to squeak and make noise! The Bezel around the radio warps and touches the black climate control unit, it will start buzzing every time you hit the gas and you will NEVER get it to go away!! - Design a tensioner that doesn't lose tension, I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts that are better than Toyota parts!!!!!!!!! This vehicle has every sign of planned obsolescence built in!! all metal is gone, all plastic clips are designed to make noise. The heater vents arent even put together anymore, they sit there and move around. - feel free to email to ask me in detail about toyotas.

This car saved my life!
By explorersaurus

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in a crash fast enough to set the airbags off. The car looked horrible, but I walked away with only a twisted ankle. In a frontal crash, this is definitely a class leader in the used car market. And before I crashed it, it was a decent little car. It had plenty of power, and the transmission was geared perfectly. The outside was a little bland, but that didn't really matter. The interior was not cramped, but cozy. I'm about 5'3" and the seat was at the perfect height for good visibility. The backseat was also rather large for a car it's size, accommodating two small adults comfortably.

Favorite Features

The dashboard layout was perfect. The stock stereo just can't be beat, it's amazing. And the overall refinement, while not outstanding, is very good. It's a well rounded car good for anyone of any age. The cloth for the seats are pretty good. I also though the steering was pretty good. Again, not outstanding, but it was smooth, precise, and it was just the right balance between firm and light.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission can be a little slow to downshift sometimes. The back cupholders are flimsy. The cloth seats are a dog fur magnet. My family has always had cloth seats, and they were never so hard to clean as this car. The headliner as well as a couple other things are a bit cheap.

Wow . . . Corolla!
By momofsbknbj

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Corolla in 2007. It was a repo with 13,000 miles on it. It is 2012 now and the car has 160,000 miles on it. The car, knock on wood, has had no problems that I can recall except needing usual oil changes, tires and brakes replaced. We also had the serpentine belt replaced when it needed it at about 100,000 miles. The car gets excellent gas mileage, between 30-35 mpg average. We had a problem with the air conditioner about a year ago and then found out that these cars have a cabin air filter behind the glove box. Cleaned dust and leaves out of filter and air works fine again. Does not burn oil. Just a great car. We love our Corolla and have purchased 2 more since.

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability, handling, quiet engine, low maintenance. Just overall great car!Drove a friend's Ford recently and could hear and feel the Engine dragging. Was surprised how loud an Engine can be. My sister loved my Toyota so much that she purchased a 2007 right off the lot. No problems with hers either, now 5 years later. She says it's the first car she has ever had that hasn't always been in the shop! So impressed, they bought a Prius afterward!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any improvements needed. I am hoping to eventually afford a Prius!

2005 Corolla good value
By rws1

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

On a recent 800 mile trip I got 36 miles to the gallon. This is driving 70 -75 miles an hour. The check engine light came on during this trip. Code P0456 was the obd code and after looking it up found that Toyota has a technial bullentin for this issue and is related to the upgraded ECM module that was done on the car. Has to be upgraded again apparently. Going to take to dealer this week. The car has plenty of power and considering the gas mileage it gets I can't complain at all. There is some wind noise but nothing bothersome. The original tires were noisy but new tires at 50k fixed that problem. Plenty of room in the trunk and back seats.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, interior, good performance for the gas mileage you get.

Suggested Improvements

ability to adjustable steering column in and out. More lumbar support in seats.

Piratical A-to-B car
By praticalowner

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Understand this review is based 100% on the amount of money I paid for it in comparison to others cars at the time. Havening owned the Toyota Corolla LE Automatic for a little over 6 years now Iím glad I bought it. This car is exactly what you would expect for about the 15.5k or so I got mine brand new. Iím 5í11Ē barefoot, 220lb and I can make peace with the seating and steering orientation. The only negative thing about it is the fact thatís itís a little under powered for my tastes, but then again I have a 530 HP(give or take) truck I play in. Also a lot of people say that it makes a lot of road noise. Let me ask you a question, how often have you heard a 2800 lb or so car not make road noise??? I also have a 97 Continental that is just as every bit noisy when you put in on the firm ride setting. And the engine in a 4 banger, this one and about every other Iíve driven does too. The fact on gas milage are this, the thing get about 95% of the rated 34/MPG highway (thatís about 32/MPG) that the EPA says it should. And yes 34/MPG is the correct MPG for this model, the 06 is the one with the 40 or whatever mpg. I know because I saw it on the chemical back in February 05!!! Not to mention the fact if you multiply the 13.2 gallon tank buy 34 you get about 450 miles. I averaged about 390~420 miles to a tank on the highway so thatís all the confirmation I ever needed. I will admit the city mileage took a pretty steep nose dive to around the 25-27/MPG mark. It seemed to fluctuate from 290/tank to 320/tank. Then again the way Iím used to driving my truck that probably has a lot to do with it LOL!!! IT does not get stuck easy with good all terrain tires (trust me Iíve got it stuck doing dumb stuff in it). The paint job is a little iffy on the lower parts of the unibody, but overall itís very smooth and even with the clear coat. The fold-down seats, donít fold all the way down per say, but it makes plenty of room for an 8í Christmas tree or a few 10 foot fly rods. If you really REALLy want to decide for yourself if this is a car worth buying, see if you can work a deal out somehow to drive one around for a weekend. I test drove several cars several times before I chose this one, it was the right price for what I was getting. I did not buy this car because ďit was the car for meĒ I bought it as a practical, reliable to way get to around and not completely bite it at the pump. I mean why do you think I got in in automatic???

Favorite Features

The sound system, I was really impressed with the sound system this thing has. I believe they are JBL??? I never really found out but they sound a lot like my Northbridge series from JBL. Very fast warm up, Iíve driven cars that you had to get out and drive for 10 minutes before the heat would be worth anything. In mid 20 degree F weather, this thing takes every bit of 6~7 min, idling, with the air blasting on recirculate to warm the car up on the inside. Basically in the time it takes you to microwave a hot pocket and make coffee itís ready to go. Very solid, responsive handling. To some people this means ďstiffĒ and is a bad thing. When youíre trying to do doughnuts with front wheel drive and a parking break you canít beat it haha! Or on a more series mater, if you try to miss an object you are less likely to over correct. This has happened several times to me and the ridged handling comes in pretty handy on knee jerk reactions.

Suggested Improvements

WellÖ since they donít make a 2005 in 2011 I would have to say none??? But I really donít think they could have done much better without increasing the cost.

Amazingly Reliable But Bland
By Toyota 289

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Japanese car. I became disgusted with the past 3 gm cars I have owned. This car changed my view on Asian cars, I used to think they were junk. This car proved me wrong. Purchased used in 2007 with 15,000 miles it now has 63,000 miles with ZERO issues. The only things it needed were tires, brakes, and oil changes. Not by any means an exciting car, if your looking for reliability and economy this is your car, if you are looking for excitement you will be bored of this car after a short while. Overall it's a great commuter car for the person who just wants to get from point A to B.It's has fairly peppy acceleration for it's class of vehicle. This car is a great value for the money.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliability, keyless entry, interior trunk release, fold- down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Steering column settings poor, they should have put in a telescopic steering wheel/column. The auto headlamps take too long to come on, annoying at night as it takes too long to come on to see the shift indicator and heater controls to light up. Get rid of that stupid chip key.

Best car I ever had
By jkellz

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my corolla in 04 with only 9miles on it. As of July 2010 i have 242,000+ miles on it and it still drives great. My first clutch lasted up for about 188,000 miles before it was replaced. but its not something to be driven in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

nothing, perfect car, would buy two?

2005-2006 XRS is good to have one
By Andy

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had my 1986 Corolla GTS before and now I have chance to own a XRS. Though Corolla is an entry level of Toyota but still surprises me after many years! After 9 months driving, I am really satisfied with it. As a used car, the price go down a lot to a reasonable amount. However, the cornering still need to be improved by upgrading aftermarket parts. The original tuned suspension is unable to handle this car anymore which I feel too soft. 0-60 mph only 7.2 sec with top speed 130 mph (Lock by limiter) and 28 mpg with mixing freeway and local (I live in SF Bay area) If you plan to buy Scion tC, I would recommend you to have this one instead if you don't mind have a used car.

Favorite Features

The VVTi-L engine and 6 spd transmission from Celica GTS give me a lot of fun.

Suggested Improvements

If the VVTi-L turns on around 5,700 rpm will be perfect as the originally setting turns on at 6,800 to 8,200 rpm only. The factory rims should go 17" inches instead of 16" inches