Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Fantastic Car
By jayhawker1983

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Corolla CE that just turned over 170,000 miles. I have done nothing to it except routine maintenance. Runs just like it did when it was new. I plan on keeping it until the engine falls out of it.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Gas mileage - 36 MPG highway after 10 years and 170,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel.

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By brymil2

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles and have put a ton of miles on them. However, my 2005 Corolla has been by far the most reliable among all of them. I bought it brand new in late 2004 and performed all the required maintenance myself. What stands out about this car is that I drove it 178k miles before ANY repair was needed. Very few cars have performed that well. It ended up being the intake manifold gasket which what I hear from others, it one of the few things that go wrong with this car. I have averaged 35 mpg in 65% highway driving. I handed it down to my son but still drive it on occasion. Still going strong with 182k miles. Toyota has come close to perfecting this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Reliability and fuel economy. Being a small car, tires, brakes, suspension, struts, all last a long time!

Suggested Improvements

None!

Don't let toyota fool you anymore!
By a_mechanic_001

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I worked for a dealership, and now I own a Toyota. I have to tell you, this car is the cheapest pile of garbage they have ever produced!! Recalls on computers, serpentine belt tensioners that fail, belts that make noise, intake manifold gaskets that crack and leak..

Favorite Features

It runs, the paint is cheap and peels, its a car.. the stereo is decent though and it gets you from A to B until it dies as designed to at around 150,000 miles max.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pump costs $1000.00 - no reason for this. Stop using cheap plastic and purposely designing the vehicle to squeak and make noise! The Bezel around the radio warps and touches the black climate control unit, it will start buzzing every time you hit the gas and you will NEVER get it to go away!! - Design a tensioner that doesn't lose tension, I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts that are better than Toyota parts!!!!!!!!! This vehicle has every sign of planned obsolescence built in!! all metal is gone, all plastic clips are designed to make noise. The heater vents arent even put together anymore, they sit there and move around. - feel free to email to ask me in detail about toyotas.

This car saved my life!
By explorersaurus

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in a crash fast enough to set the airbags off. The car looked horrible, but I walked away with only a twisted ankle. In a frontal crash, this is definitely a class leader in the used car market. And before I crashed it, it was a decent little car. It had plenty of power, and the transmission was geared perfectly. The outside was a little bland, but that didn't really matter. The interior was not cramped, but cozy. I'm about 5'3" and the seat was at the perfect height for good visibility. The backseat was also rather large for a car it's size, accommodating two small adults comfortably.

Favorite Features

The dashboard layout was perfect. The stock stereo just can't be beat, it's amazing. And the overall refinement, while not outstanding, is very good. It's a well rounded car good for anyone of any age. The cloth for the seats are pretty good. I also though the steering was pretty good. Again, not outstanding, but it was smooth, precise, and it was just the right balance between firm and light.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission can be a little slow to downshift sometimes. The back cupholders are flimsy. The cloth seats are a dog fur magnet. My family has always had cloth seats, and they were never so hard to clean as this car. The headliner as well as a couple other things are a bit cheap.

Wow . . . Corolla!
By momofsbknbj

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Corolla in 2007. It was a repo with 13,000 miles on it. It is 2012 now and the car has 160,000 miles on it. The car, knock on wood, has had no problems that I can recall except needing usual oil changes, tires and brakes replaced. We also had the serpentine belt replaced when it needed it at about 100,000 miles. The car gets excellent gas mileage, between 30-35 mpg average. We had a problem with the air conditioner about a year ago and then found out that these cars have a cabin air filter behind the glove box. Cleaned dust and leaves out of filter and air works fine again. Does not burn oil. Just a great car. We love our Corolla and have purchased 2 more since.

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability, handling, quiet engine, low maintenance. Just overall great car!Drove a friend's Ford recently and could hear and feel the Engine dragging. Was surprised how loud an Engine can be. My sister loved my Toyota so much that she purchased a 2007 right off the lot. No problems with hers either, now 5 years later. She says it's the first car she has ever had that hasn't always been in the shop! So impressed, they bought a Prius afterward!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any improvements needed. I am hoping to eventually afford a Prius!