Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Amazing car!
By Amanda

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005. I have over 200, 000 miles and it is still going strong. This car has taken me to so many states and so many places. It is hard to part with)because of the memories I have had). I just finally starting to look at a new vehicle because I need an SUV for work. I am considering the RAV4 because I just had routine maintenance with my Corolla (nothing major). This car has also held up so well in wrecks. It is extremely safe.

Fantastic Car
By jayhawker1983

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Corolla CE that just turned over 170,000 miles. I have done nothing to it except routine maintenance. Runs just like it did when it was new. I plan on keeping it until the engine falls out of it.

Reliability. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Gas mileage - 36 MPG highway after 10 years and 170,000 miles.

Telescoping wheel.

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By brymil2

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles and have put a ton of miles on them. However, my 2005 Corolla has been by far the most reliable among all of them. I bought it brand new in late 2004 and performed all the required maintenance myself. What stands out about this car is that I drove it 178k miles before ANY repair was needed. Very few cars have performed that well. It ended up being the intake manifold gasket which what I hear from others, it one of the few things that go wrong with this car. I have averaged 35 mpg in 65% highway driving. I handed it down to my son but still drive it on occasion. Still going strong with 182k miles. Toyota has come close to perfecting this vehicle!

Reliability and fuel economy. Being a small car, tires, brakes, suspension, struts, all last a long time!

None!

Don't let toyota fool you anymore!
By a_mechanic_001

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I worked for a dealership, and now I own a Toyota. I have to tell you, this car is the cheapest pile of garbage they have ever produced!! Recalls on computers, serpentine belt tensioners that fail, belts that make noise, intake manifold gaskets that crack and leak..

It runs, the paint is cheap and peels, its a car.. the stereo is decent though and it gets you from A to B until it dies as designed to at around 150,000 miles max.

Fuel pump costs $1000.00 - no reason for this. Stop using cheap plastic and purposely designing the vehicle to squeak and make noise! The Bezel around the radio warps and touches the black climate control unit, it will start buzzing every time you hit the gas and you will NEVER get it to go away!! - Design a tensioner that doesn't lose tension, I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts that are better than Toyota parts!!!!!!!!! This vehicle has every sign of planned obsolescence built in!! all metal is gone, all plastic clips are designed to make noise. The heater vents arent even put together anymore, they sit there and move around. - feel free to email to ask me in detail about toyotas.

This car saved my life!
By explorersaurus

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in a crash fast enough to set the airbags off. The car looked horrible, but I walked away with only a twisted ankle. In a frontal crash, this is definitely a class leader in the used car market. And before I crashed it, it was a decent little car. It had plenty of power, and the transmission was geared perfectly. The outside was a little bland, but that didn't really matter. The interior was not cramped, but cozy. I'm about 5'3" and the seat was at the perfect height for good visibility. The backseat was also rather large for a car it's size, accommodating two small adults comfortably.

The dashboard layout was perfect. The stock stereo just can't be beat, it's amazing. And the overall refinement, while not outstanding, is very good. It's a well rounded car good for anyone of any age. The cloth for the seats are pretty good. I also though the steering was pretty good. Again, not outstanding, but it was smooth, precise, and it was just the right balance between firm and light.

The transmission can be a little slow to downshift sometimes. The back cupholders are flimsy. The cloth seats are a dog fur magnet. My family has always had cloth seats, and they were never so hard to clean as this car. The headliner as well as a couple other things are a bit cheap.