2004 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - What I expected!!

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

S Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

What I expected!!
By SLDinCT on

2004 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want my cars to go 10 years or 100,000 miles at least. No problem here. I get 40 mpg often on highway, 5k oil changes, battery, tires, O2 sensors (warr) and filters are only work I've done at 60k. Car went to FL from CT got 45 mpg for trip, wasn't too comfy, but was reliable. Winter gas mileage goes down to 35 with heat. Awkward drive seat adjustments. Poor OE radio & speakers. OE tires made it 36k. Michi Pilot A/S are SWEET. Open front end differential makes this car less capable in snow than it should be. This is the household 4th Corolla. There will be a fifth in 2015 or so. (Oh yea! No ABS on "S" model? What is that about?!!!)

Favorite Features

Gas, 5 spd, clutch, storage/trunk, quiet at speed limit. Broke 50 mph on straight trip on highway (400 miles) to Canada!

Suggested Improvements

Loud at 70mph. Bad OE tires. Limited slip or locking differential required. A 6th gear for low RPM high speed cruising would be great. I am over 3000 rpm at 70 mph in cruise going to work, and it kills mileage. Tougher cloth on seats would be nice. Better driver position/adjustments.