Used 2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Worth every Penny
By Kat

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new with 13 miles. It now has 54K. In 2 years, it goes to my daughter for college, and I know she'll have it for many years after. Other than the typical maintenance, I've had no unexpected surprises, and that's exactly what I wanted after my last car.

Gas Mileage, ease of maintenance and pick up when passing cars.

This is not the most comfortable car for long distances. It's great for around town though.

Happy to have a decent car
By yohan

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my corolla in 04 it had 6 miles on it, I love this little car - the only problems I have had with it are a blown tail light, 1 flat tire and a blown fuse. Compared to caR I had before, a 91 Dodge Caravan, which turned into a 13 year nightmare this little car is a dream. My next car will be another Toyota.

Lots of room for a small car.

Put a gated shifter in the car.

Wears out quick
By steve

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 10k on it. 1st week plastic piece inside broke didn't even touch it. Car was very reliable, not much maintenance, but was getting very, very used feeling at about 65k, then at 74k transmission went! This was on a manual. Never had a tranny go in my life. Other cars have been driven to 150k plus never had to replace tranny. Oh well disappointed in Toyota. Gas mileage was good though. Also Windows rattled a little from 20k on.

gas mileage

Better transmission. Don't use cheap plastic inside.

75K Review
By Sid

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 1998 Corolla VE before I bought this used vehicle from the previous owner at 65k miles. It was well maintained with detailed service records and looking at the records, there were no quality problems. Since then I have kept up with the Toyota maintenance schedule for this car and have not had any problems either. Overall, it has been reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable and rides quietly. The manual transmission makes it fun to drive. Clutch engagement at lower gears is a little abrupt. However, as you get used to the car, you will figure out how to work it smoothly.

Fuel economy (8 mo average is 36 mpg. can reach 40 at times), roominess, quiet ride, cruise control, good looking tail lights, good side profile - although front view is a bit odd - overall nice looking (the last part about the side and front could apply to my beagle cross as well!)

The cover in the trunk that covers the spare tire and tools is flimsy and could be better.

What I expected!!
By SLDinCT

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want my cars to go 10 years or 100,000 miles at least. No problem here. I get 40 mpg often on highway, 5k oil changes, battery, tires, O2 sensors (warr) and filters are only work I've done at 60k. Car went to FL from CT got 45 mpg for trip, wasn't too comfy, but was reliable. Winter gas mileage goes down to 35 with heat. Awkward drive seat adjustments. Poor OE radio & speakers. OE tires made it 36k. Michi Pilot A/S are SWEET. Open front end differential makes this car less capable in snow than it should be. This is the household 4th Corolla. There will be a fifth in 2015 or so. (Oh yea! No ABS on "S" model? What is that about?!!!)

Gas, 5 spd, clutch, storage/trunk, quiet at speed limit. Broke 50 mph on straight trip on highway (400 miles) to Canada!

Loud at 70mph. Bad OE tires. Limited slip or locking differential required. A 6th gear for low RPM high speed cruising would be great. I am over 3000 rpm at 70 mph in cruise going to work, and it kills mileage. Tougher cloth on seats would be nice. Better driver position/adjustments.